SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

Oooh, new toy just turned up at work. just go my telrad, anyone available tonight to advise on fitting. and how to get the batteries in it ! :grin:

Hope tomee some ofmyou this evening.

I am sure there will be telrad users around today. If you don't know the Lucksall site and you arrive after dark its best to leave your car by reception. The headlights can ruin astro images and those members whose eyes are dark adapted.

Hope to see you later and well done on the purchase.

Mark

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a good evening, although it was cut short by cloud. Again we had to do some cloud dodging. Although it was still cold, as the wind had dropped, it felt positively mild compared to the previous night!

We got set up earlier so we could start with the elusive Horsehead nebula before Orion was too low. Whilst I have tried a few times from home previously and think I may have seen it, I wasn't sure and thought it may have been wishful thinking and my imagination. Last night, it was still faint but the mistiness around the Horsehead was visible and the darker area of the Horsehead was visible too. Averted vision definitely helped, as did the darker skies here. I am chuffed to have been able to see this and am now keen to have another look at it again tonight! :-)

I am really pleased that Luke and Sarah allowed me to view through their 16" Dob last night and to look at the HH. They were using their 19mm and 24mm Panoptic EPs and an Astronomik H.Beta filter. I was convinced that I could see the HH because of the gas glow and the dark area of HH together with the related stars in the FOV. When I returned home I check my image file and the view was the same. So thank you Luke and Sarah and I know you were particularly pleased to see this elusive object.

Mark

Thankfully the bitter cold has eased off! I'm chuffed to have seen the Horsehead at last, the missus Sarah has been on a mission to see it for months and the effort has finally been worth it. I had my doubts, but once again, the missus was right :eek:

I hope to have a look at the flame next to the horsey tonight as it looked promising but got discarded in our excitement!

I am really pleased that Luke and Sarah allowed me to view through their 16" Dob last night and to look at the HH. They were using their 19mm and 24mm Panoptic EPs and an Astronomik H.Beta filter. I was convinced that I could see the HH because of the gas glow and the dark area of HH together with the related stars in the FOV. When I returned home I check my image file and the view was the same. So thank you Luke and Sarah and I know you were particularly pleased to see this elusive object.

Mark

You were more than welcome Mark. And thank you for the image file you posted a while back. That definitely helped us in the hunt for the HH! You picked a good time to go back home last night as it didn't really clear again. Hope to see you later.

Many congratualtions on the HH folks - I hope to have a crack at that myself - any chance of a brief loan of the H-Beta filter Luke / Sarah ? :smiley:

Seems a much nicer day today - I wish I was coming tonight but tomorrow thru Sunday will have to do :undecided:

John I have a 1.25" thousand oaks H.Beta filter and you are welcome to try it out with your 12" Dob. I have failed with the 10" at home so I now know I need a bigger scope. Luke and sarah spolit me last night.

Mark

That would be great Mark - thanks very much :smiley:

I'll be there (pitch 115) from mid-afternoon tomorrow. Earlier if I can make it !

I am sure there will be telrad users around today. If you don't know the Lucksall site and you arrive after dark its best to leave your car by reception. The headlights can ruin astro images and those members whose eyes are dark adapted.

Hope to see you later and well done on the purchase.

Mark

No probs. Ive got a little trolley packed to bring my kit around so already thougt of that. Will be arriving in daylight straight from work as well.

cheers

Tony

Hey guys, I know I'm not part of the SGL8 this year (it's just too far to travel without a car, plus I've got Uni at the moment), but things are looking up for you all. I've checked the BBC Weather forecast for tonight, and it says clear until 11:00am tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed, you should all get some decent observing done :D. Oh, and the wind isn't too bad apparently either :).

The weekend forecast makes depressing reading though :(

Wild horses boars? wont keep me from that hog roast however!

I'll be right behind you. And someone mentioned local cider.....

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Hi,

The weather is find, I cooked breakfast this morning in my shorts, fail to see what the problem with the

cold is, it is just freezing.

I better leave the Moon Inn and head back. The meals at the pub are excellent......

I have my ice axe in the tent, just in case the weather takes a turn for the worst.

The atomosphere there is cheery and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves, Dave was doing steak and

chips when I left for the pub.

Cheers

Adrian

A couple of quickies for me :)

I've got a couple of hours on NGC4565 and now onto M104 as it's too low from home. Saturn is pretty good through the Dob at 300x as well :)

Edit: I got a mobile phone afocal pic of the comet earlier :D

Hoping its as clear for you guys as it is up here in Cov, best night i've seen for ages really, can see all the stars in Ursa Minor for once.

We'll be arriving just after lunch I should think, i'm not going to bring any astro kit so it should guarantee at least one more good night :D

Watch out for the kids/dogs/wife, they all bite to one degree or another ;)

Archived