SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

Someone remind me why I'm going camping in this weather? Must be mad. I've said it before but I'm so glad I've got electricity this year, just run the fan heater to clear the dust out of it, not been used in a couple of years.

The weather is all over the place here in Wiltshire, it was snowing 5 min ago, now sunny blue skies, but the wind is bitter.

finally started to get my stuff together, need to finish repairs to the tent pole that broke at kelling last year, serious faff rethreading the elastic.

I have a cough, my temperature has been up and down all week & my head is killing me. I'm going camping tomorrow (i hate camping) in the freezing cold, possibly snowing however.......

I cannot wait to finish work tonight get the car packed and hit the road tomorrow morning :grin:

I think were all a little mad!!!!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks,

Got to Lucksall just gone 13:00, and there has been many snow flurries this afternoon.

Tent up after a decent struggle with the wind.

It is bitterly cold, the skies are just clearing, the temperature is -2C....

I have changed out of my shorts and gone to the Moon Inn in Mordiford, about to have

gammon egg and chips plus a Guinness, so life is looking better already.

The meal as has arrived, it looks great.

Cheers

Adrian

NB. The cafe at the site is not open until Friday breakfast, so glad I brought my cooking

Things...

Sat here with feet on the radiator - wind is biting cold outside! Tent holding with the car and wind break doing a good job..

Supposedly -5 but wind chill pushing that down to -16 according to accuweather.. wind 29km/h gusts 60km/h ...

Its cold enough in my flat - I am thinking of you crazy people camping out this evening as I watched the snow flurries and the wind howling around my roof.

I think astronomers are the nicest and yet the most BONKERS people out there. Camping in -3 for the hope of a clear dark sky.

I have a pair that were going to be "Free to a Good Home" at SGL 8 if yours dont get fixed your welcome to have them...

Peter...

Awww thanks Peter! Hopefully I can get them fixed between now and then, but its very kind of you to offer me a plan b. :)

I am planning on heading over for Thursday evening, but if work goes ok on Wednesday I'll be over then too.

I have just been out to Lucksall and had a chat with Photosbykev. I used Kev's binos to view about 15 Messier objects and my face and fingers were freezing. The sky is crystal clear and the Milky Way nicely visible.

Came back home for a warm and a beer. Hope the wind drops by tomorrow.

Mark

Awww thanks Peter! Hopefully I can get them fixed between now and then, but its very kind of you to offer me a plan b. :)

I am planning on heading over for Thursday evening, but if work goes ok on Wednesday I'll be over then too.

I'm there from mid morning Thursday....

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

I have just been out to Lucksall and had a chat with Photosbykev. I used Kev's binos to view about 15 Messier objects and my face and fingers were freezing. The sky is crystal clear and the Milky Way nicely visible.

Came back home for a warm and a beer. Hope the wind drops by tomorrow.

Mark

Sounds promising Mark - I'm there from Thursday thru Sunday AM - will you be around at all during that period ?

Sounds promising Mark - I'm there from Thursday thru Sunday AM - will you be around at all during that period ?

John I will go over most days whatever the weather. I was hoping to see you for a chat about the orthoscopic EPs and maybe do some observing. See you Thursday.

Mark

So tempting to drive up weds pm, but really don't think I could hack it :(

Knowing my luck I'll arrive on Thursday to you guys saying "rubbish weather tonight, still we had a good one last night so if it doesn't clear up all weekend at least we got to see <insert dark sky object of choice here>" ;)

Certainly has some stars - mainly due to the Bruichladdich! No point in setting up the gear due to the wind - binos for the win :)

Looking forward to the slightly less windy sunny morning tomorrow...

I have clear skies here now but those winds are making things wickedly cold. Transparency must be quite good though as my little Vixen 4" refractor has shown M101 and the twin cores of M51 and NGC 5195 quite clearly. The latter two are not normally a huge challenge but M101 has proved quite elusive in my small frac in the past.

I'm having to pop in to warm up every 10-15 minutes though - the wind chill factor must be -10 or more I would guess !

Hope everyone at Lucksall is having a good time and keeping warm :smiley:

Yes I can see M1 with my 90mm refractor out of the bedroom window!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Will you be at SGL8 Mark ?

If so, I'll look forward to meeting you :smiley:

Archived