Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's you favourite Eyepiece?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of them :D. They are so different in their usage I could not possibly point at a single bast one. It all depends on what I want to see. The Naglers are my stalwart DSO EPs, augmented by the LVW 42mm: 42 + 31mm for wider objects, 22mm and 17mm for most galaxies and many other DSOs, 12T4 for planetary nebulae (and occasionally the XW10). The XWs and  Delos are mainly planetary, and the MaxVision +XF8.5 form my solar range. All great EPs.

It's very difficult to pick just one for the reasons that the other posters have explained.

If I had to pick just one I guess it would be the 13mm Tele Vue Ethos. Used in my 12" scope it gives 122x but also shows over 3/4 of a degree of sky and it's very dark sky so deep sky objects such as globular clusters, nebulae and galaxies are showing an excellent combination of contrast, resolution and scale :smiley:

My 22mm Vixen LVW. Sharp to the edge in fast scopes, very comfortable eye relief.

The "sharp to the edge in fast scopes" description has caused some controversy on Cloudy Nights eyepiece forum.

Members on there have quite correctly said that there are no coma correcting eyepieces, and I accept that.

But however it works, it is sharp to the edge in my 10" F4.8 Dob. Recommended.

Regards, Ed.

I thiink my 14mm delos seems to get the most useage, so if it were on this alone I would go with this. However i simply love the space walk views from both my UWA Ep,s (Axiom and Maxivision) and the Delos 8 probably gets most use when cranking up the magnification, so in reality, all of them just as per MHW opening response.  :smiley:

Michael,

There must be something wrong with me I have a 31mm toe smasher and I have only used it three or four times, it is almost the same story with the 21mm Ethos, I just keep going for the 20mm Nagler.

John,

That must be youy favourite eyepiece as when I posted a "pick one eyepieces" about 18 months back you went for the 13mm Ethos then. I agree it is very good though I never understand how people call it the best of a range, they are all as good in my books.

Alan

Well as one who's not really used the exotic tv and pentax's, I can't even imagine how good they are. I've used a bunch of low / low to mid priced e / ps and I would say the Hyperion aspheric 31mm was fantastic in the 8 " dob .

Revelation eyepiece set 32mm because it is wide field and very adaptable and cheap.

I have the 40mm widefield, it has very limited uses due to the overly large exit pupil but for things like the pleiades, coathanger and simlar very large dso's, it is brilliant. And I totally agree, the price is great too.

my favourite is probably my 13mm Ethos. it's a lot of money in one eyepiece but it performs superbly. the fact it's such a lot of money in one lump means I have thought about selling a few times but can never bring myself to do so. it must therefore be doing something right. very close second is my 26mm Nagler. best value for money probably my 16mm T2 Nagler for £100 you cannot go wrong.

The eyepiece that gets used in every scope on every session is my 14mm Pentax XW. It gives a nice medium magnification in the Dob with a darker sky background to help with contrast. In the Pronto it gives a nice wide field for open clusters and starfields. If I had to sell, this would be the last one I would hang onto.

• White Light Solar: 19mm Panoptic - 52x, 1.3º TFOV, 1.9mm Exit Pupil.

• DSO Hunter: 24mm Panoptic - 52x, 1.3º TFOV, 4.8mm Exit Pupil

• DSO Observer: 10mm Delos - 125x, 0.5º TFOV, 2mm Exit Pupil.

• Planets & Lunar: 6mm & 7mm Baader Genuine Orthos / 8mm TV Plossl - 208x & 178x & 156x, 0.2º, 0.26º, 0.32º TFOV, 1.2mm, 1.4mm & 1.6mm Exit Pupil.

Archived