Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's you favourite Eyepiece?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EP I use most, across both scopes, is the 24mm Baader Hyperion.  Whilst not one of the higher end EPs, I love it.  And the fact that it also adapts to be a 2" EP means that I can easily switch between the two sizes depending upon what I'm viewing.  I've never regretted this purchase - unlike other 'gadgets'!

I'm going to give two answers, if I may!

21mm Ethos, I love the 100 degrees field of view for my lowest power eyepiece and it keeps exit pupil okay for us in our F4.4 dob.

9mm TS HR Planetary. This is the main eyepiece I use for solar viewing in hydrogen alpha, and given that I have seen some amazing sights with it, I am very fond of it. It's lightweight (handy to help with balance on my grab-and-go mini giro mount) and its sharpness reminds me of my 8mm Radian. Comfy to view with too.

I've been trying to decide on this one for the last day since the thread started and I could not decide for the reason mentioned, they all serve a purpose. Even if some are of better quality compared to some others in my case, it isn't the dictating factor for me. 

That said, if there is no moon or I am not looking at planets, I'd say it would have to go to the 28mm Maxvision, a nice 1.5+ degree FOV in my scope. For deep sky viewing this is almost always the eyepiece I start with - at least for a bit anyway. I never recall putting in just one eyepiece on on any given night unless I am looking at Jupiter, the moon, I'll let the scope cool, have tea and use high power for that, but I usually end up using at least 2 magnifications for that most of the time too.

My favourite at the moment is my Baader 8mm-24mm MkIII Zoom - very versitile and great quality.

I'm a big fan of the Baader Hyperion Mk III Zoom too. Maybe not quite so great on the 8mm setting, but top notch otherwise. My most used EP by far. I use it in its 2" configuration with a WO dialetric diagonal.

My other favs are my 7mm BGO, and my Tal 15mm Kellner (thanks, Shane!).

BCO 18mm was my favorite EP in explorer 130P, I found all the faint fuzzies with it in that scope. It's still my favorite EP in C8 for planetary viewing, with binoviewer.

Leica Zoom is the favorite for DSOs.

I have just had my first serious look through my Nagler 17mm. The contrast is stunning and the focus is pin sharp on even the smallest objects. It gives 165x mag with the CPC and Jupiter and its moons can just fit in the FOV. I was able to pick out a very faint double star above and to the left of the disk as I viewed it which was about the same distance away as the inner moons. I then swapped the lens for each of my others in turn and took time to focus each of them properly but none gave the same deep black background and none of them showed the faint double as clearly as the Nagler. If I didn't know it was there I problebly would not have seen it through the other lenses.

I am very impressed :smiley:

I feel the same about my 17mm Ethos , my little Niece once sneezed on it and my heart broke . All cleaned now and Grace walks without a limp.

The 17mm  Ethos is my favourite as well.  But my second one is my 4.7 Ethos with the 110 deg field of view.

My favourite is the 7xw which is very comfortable and also gives decent magnification for planets on my refractors. (But I also like the 5xw and delos 6 when conditions allow)

Also agree that the 22mm lvw is very nice and so easy to use.

Archived