Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Total eclipse from Magog, Quebec

lukebl

Many thanks for the nice comments.

I’ve made this animation of the diamond ring at the end of totality.

IMG_2503.gif

• Like 20

Nicely done.  We had low clouds with gaps and high thin clouds pervasively here in our part of Texas.  It was even worse to the south where they were totally socked in with low clouds.  The low clouds did open up on occasion to reveal both the partial phases and totality.  I got a good look with my scopes at a friend's house within a few miles of the center line.  It indeed looked just about like your images, so well done I say.  I couldn't grab even one image during totality with my telephoto lens because the clouds closed up for the last two minutes of totality.  We also missed the diamond ring effect at the end of totality.  Still, it was fun experiencing it with family and friends.

For the 2017 eclipse, it was just the wife and I in Nebraska with a bunch of strangers.  We had excellent weather for that one, but it was just the two of us.  Now, we're thinking of taking our bucket list trip to Australia and New Zealand in 2028 during their total solar eclipse.  I figure with it going through the Outback, there should be really clear skies.  We might even bring some of our kids and their families along if they're interested.  They're all world travelers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Louis D said:

For the 2017 eclipse, it was just the wife and I in Nebraska with a bunch of strangers…

That was the same for me in 2017. I was in an empty field in Wyoming with just my two sons and a few rattlesnakes! It was eerily quiet, unlike yesterday in Magog.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2024 at 16:40, lukebl said:

We were blessed with fine weather in Magog, Quebec, for today's total eclipse. Some spectacular prominences and large crowds a'whooping and a'hollerin' at the moment of totality. I looked out for Comet Pons Brooks, but could only see Venus and Jupiter.

I won't be able to process my images properly till I get home next week, but here's a few quick captures.

these are all Beyond gorgeous. so crisp!! i love the animation too

• Like 1