NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EP2 - Sunday, 31st May 2020 7:30pm BST - Adventures in Astro Image Processing by Nik Szymanek

Grant

Great talk, very informative.

I clicked on the record button on top left, not sure what it does.

My broadband kept dropping out so I'm looking forward to the YT post. 

1 minute ago, Freff said:

Great talk, very informative.

I clicked on the record button on top left, not sure what it does.

My broadband kept dropping out so I'm looking forward to the YT post. 

That just shows the session was being recorded Tony....

Once Grant has got a minute, it will get uploaded and he'll post the details

1 hour ago, daz said:

That just shows the session was being recorded Tony....

Once Grant has got a minute, it will get uploaded and he'll post the details

Thanks Daz, I guessed it was something at your end.

Thanks to everyone that attended - really great talk from Nik and some interesting questions that will lead to future workshops/talks!

For those that need the links:

Affinity Photo - Currently on sale for £23.99, with a huge 90 day trial - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Nik's Webpage - http://www.ccdland.net/

Nik's Flikr stream - https://www.flickr.com/photos/36672102@N07/

Nik's book Shooting Stars II - https://shop.astronomynow.com/product/shooting-stars-2/

(Note, the page says 2nd edition, but Nik assured us it was a version 2, a complete update)

• Like 2

This is going very well! Will the team be able to keep up the high standard that has been set? Tune in next time to find out!

I am going to try an think of some topics to suggest, but fear that they will be too niche.

Great Zoom session which i managed to get into this time on my laptop, I think last week's failure was a fault on my desktop which I will get my computer man to look into after the current CV crisis is over.  

Thanks Nik for a great talk and thanks SGL for organising it all, looking forward to the next one.

What a great site and community spirit is SGL. 

Carole  

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback. Some great questions at the end.

Sorry about the 'senior moment' regarding the H-alpha-RGB images! 🤪 

Happy to cover that in a future session. Best wishes, Nik

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really good session and one of the better experiences with Zoom - bandwidth in rural Shropshire can be troublesome at times, but no problems. As someone who's been away from astronomy for quite a while, I'm keen to get in to AP and Nik's talk was really helpful (I'm sure I heard Nik talk about 15 years ago - but I can't remember accurately what I had to dinner yesterday!). 

The move forwards in technology and equipment has been huge in the last 20 years... just need to get the 'scope purchased... 🙂  

2 minutes ago, daz said:

I've just pressed the button on the Affinity Photo deal, and will now work through Nik's articles in AN!

Are the articles available online or can those issues be ordered? Question for those of us who foolishly didn’t buy AN already 😳

13 minutes ago, daz said:

I've just pressed the button on the Affinity Photo deal, and will now work through Nik's articles in AN!

Affinity aka Serif have been producing alternative software for a very long time. I used their desk top publishing package for many years to produce newsletters for various groups I was in. I think they decided to completely re-platform their products and have been working through them. I was one of the myriad of beta testers for the the new DTP package, which has a similar look and feel to Affinity Photo.

The plus with Affinity is that updates to handle say new OS versions or new cameras are free: that's one of the things that finished me off with Photoshop Essentials - I needed to upgrade a version to handle RAW files for my new camera and then a few months later another version for a different camera...

It's relatively new and they are adding functionality regularly as I understand it. One gap is there is no catalog function with it at present. I logged a query on their forum page about that and got the impression 'work in progress' but don't know how accurate that is. 

Currently all the Affinity apps are on the 90 day free trial and half price, but I think that expires soon. 

Ron

Edited by Tenor Viol

It's a remarkably good package and for the current price is the deal of the century! 😮  A lot of people don't like the monthly subscription to Photoshop so Affinity offers a great alternative to that.

I suspect that will continue to improve in the future as they seem to be receptive to users' input. The RGB combination methodology is, well....testing, but does the job once you understand the procedure. 

Cheers,

Nik

Edited by Nik
typo