Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EP2 - Sunday, 31st May 2020 7:30pm BST - Adventures in Astro Image Processing by Nik Szymanek

Grant

9 minutes ago, Tenor Viol said:

Affinity aka Serif have been producing alternative software for a very long time.  (snip)

Currently all the Affinity apps are on the 90 day free trial and half price, but I think that expires soon. 

Ron

Yes all the apps are at discount see, these are cross platform, Mac, Windows and ipad.   Discount ends June 20th so plenty of time to play with trail then decide.

Brilliant talk, opened my eyes to more advanced aspects of image processing, especially Selective Colour  which had been off my radar.

Just downloaded a trial of Affinity, and will be playing with it more (Already had a go with Selective Colour) and will be reading through Nik's articles in AN.

As a BTW, I found the latest version of GIMP (10.18.2) will open FITS files.

Thanks! Very interesting to hear that GIMP can now open FITS files. Do you know what level of scaling it allows? 

I wonder if we could get the folks at Affinity to include that feature!!? :headbang2:

• Like 2

Excellent presentations so far on StarGaZine that brings this already great Forum to life.  Many thanks to SGL/FLO and especially Steve & Nik - my only disappointment (as an ex drummer) was that after last week's bagpipes, there was no drumming by Nik this week 🥁!

See you all again next week + thanks again.

Graham   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nik said:

Thanks! Very interesting to hear that GIMP can now open FITS files. Do you know what level of scaling it allows? 

I wonder if we could get the folks at Affinity to include that feature!!? :headbang2:

Not sure of the scaling, though I found that opening a RGB FITS resulted in three 16 bit mono images.

56 minutes ago, groberts said:

Excellent presentations so far on StarGaZine that brings this already great Forum to life.  Many thanks to SGL/FLO and especially Steve & Nik - my only disappointment (as an ex drummer) was that after last week's bagpipes, there was no drumming by Nik this week 🥁!

See you all again next week + thanks again.

Graham   

Haarrr! I was sitting about 2ft away from my electronic drum kit last night during the talk so could have easily jumped on it! 

Affinity Photo sounds very much like what PaintShopPro was in the early days my first version of that was in the early 90s and came free on the CDs that came on computer magazines, it was written by JASC and Corel bought them sometime mid 2000s. The original version which I still have and can use. PSP is from time to time £20 full license and I use gradient exterminator and HLVG. I'm tempted to get AF but it sounds too similar to what already have.

Well, we couldn't wish for a better start than Steve R. and Nik S. The first two 
showings have been superb, and illustrated just  how valuable this  system is,
and how much more so it is going to be.  
Thanks in no small measure must also go to the architects of StarGaZine.
Grant, Steve G, and others, not forgetting Master of ceremonies Daz.
I'm sure more recruits will sign up as a result of this. I would hope so.
There must be many more budding Astronomers out there just needing a nudge.
Ron.

7 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Are the articles available online or can those issues be ordered? Question for those of us who foolishly didn’t buy AN already 😳

You can buy the back issues - either in print or as PDFs (cheaper). 

I went for the PDFs so I can have that on one screen and AP open on the other while I work through....

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, barkis said:

Well, we couldn't wish for a better start than Steve R. and Nik S. The first two 
showings have been superb, and illustrated just  how valuable this  system is,
and how much more so it is going to be.  
Thanks in no small measure must also go to the architects of StarGaZine.
Grant, Steve G, and others, not forgetting Master of ceremonies Daz.
I'm sure more recruits will sign up as a result of this. I would hope so.
There must be many more budding Astronomers out there just needing a nudge.
Ron.

Aw shucks, you old smoothie!!

Hope you and Mrs B are well, Ron!

I was at a talk given by Daz a few years ago at Lucksall. 

It was on the subject of Sequence Generator. Unfortunately, I was unable to take it all in on the day.

A session like the last two (hint) would be for me at least invaluable. 

1 hour ago, daz said:

Aw shucks, you old smoothie!!

Hope you and Mrs B are well, Ron!

Oy! Less of the old, I'm only 28 don't you know. 😉.  Patricia is fine Daz.  Give Tracey a cuddle for me. Heh Heh! 

Inspired by Nik Szymaneks talk on Sunday I had a quick stab at imaging the moon with an Ha filter.

72ed / reducer / Ha filter / ZWO1600 , 3000 frames stacked in Autostakkert,  quick process Photo shop android.

Taken at around 9 ish while sky was still blue.

PSX_20200601_230820.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, knobby said:

Inspired by Nik Szymaneks talk on Sunday I had a quick stab at imaging the moon with an Ha filter.

72ed / reducer / Ha filter / ZWO1600 , 3000 frames stacked in Autostakkert,  quick process Photo shop android.

Taken at around 9 ish while sky was still blue.

PSX_20200601_230820.jpg

Awesome, im going to give it a go in the next day or so. looks great.

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2020 at 18:08, Freff said:

I was at a talk given by Daz a few years ago at Lucksall. 

It was on the subject of Sequence Generator. Unfortunately, I was unable to take it all in on the day.

A session like the last two (hint) would be for me at least invaluable. 

Food for thought Tony!

Watch this space!!