Narrowband

EP2 - Sunday, 31st May 2020 7:30pm BST - Adventures in Astro Image Processing by Nik Szymanek

Grant

Episode of 'StarGaZine' is this Sunday at the slightly earlier time of 7:30PM.

We will be joined by Nik Szymanek who will be giving us a talk on 'Adventures in Astro Image Processing'.

Nik was present for Steve's talk and is going to build upon some of the points and questions raised so will be covering:

• Milky Way Image Processing
  • Deep Sky Stacker
  • Dithering / Calibrating your images
  • Using Fits Liberator
  • Putting together RGB and LRGB images

And more 🙂

We look forward to seeing you all Sunday - I will post meeting details Sunday lunchtime again.

Cheers,

Grant

Meeting details below:

Topic: StarGaZine - Episode 2 - Adventures in Astro Image Processing by Nik Szymanek
Time: May 31, 2020 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/98158602728?pwd=c21xUERkYnEzN2pXMytHVVhGN0N6QT09

Meeting ID: 981 5860 2728
Password: 318969

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

They said that they would realease a video last time, did they?

Roger

We certainly did (albeit, about five minutes ago!): 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I have just had a practice zoom video meeting with Davey T on my laptop, and although we both faffed around initially we did get to see and speak to each other, so hopefully all will work OK on Sunday.

Carole  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RikM said:

Might sneak in and watch this one if I’m still welcome.

I take it hecklers are not encouraged? 🤣

You’re always welcome 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Well I have just had a practice zoom video meeting with Davey T on my laptop, and although we both faffed around initially we did get to see and speak to each other, so hopefully all will work OK on Sunday.

Carole  

That's good news.  I had the same problem yesterday with a Google meet meeting - even though 10 minutes before, using the same camera/speaker setup, I had a skype call.  I ended up using my mobile phone for  audio 🥺  BUT, and this might be useful, when I switched from Chrome to Firefox it all worked fine.  Is there an irony in that Google meet won't work with Google's own browser 😏

Helen

I’m very much looking forward to Nik’s  talk this Sunday - I don’t think I have ever attended an image processing talk where I haven’t taken something useful away as there are so many different ways of doing things. Roll on Sunday 👍

• Like 2

BUT, and this might be useful, when I switched from Chrome to Firefox it all worked fine.  Is there an irony in that Google meet won't work with Google's own browser 😏

That is crazy.

Carole  

@steppenwolf  Sorry I missed your live talk Steve, you may know I was watching but couldn't hear anything.  Have now watched it on the recorded version. 

It was so interesting to hear your talk  because I give similar talks to local groups, such as U3A and photographic groups etc, and some to beginner astrophotographers, so it was good to hear much of what I say pretty much repeated (so I know I am doing it right).  

I did learn a couple of new things from it such as checking the sky background in Curves, as I tend to just judge it, and focussing widefield images not in the middle.  

Great stuff and great idea SGL. 

Thank you.

Carole 

@carastro I’m sorry to hear that you had audio issues but hopefully you will have resolved these for Nik’s talk tomorrow.

It’s always useful to have confirmation  that you’re doing things correctly but, one of the fun aspects of AP is that there is plenty of opportunity to explore your own way of doing various processes.

With regard to background brightness, I think it is quite important to avoid an ‘inky black’ finish as this can look quite unreal. For what it is worth, I use a sample of size 3 x 3 (set on the pipette prior to invoking the Curves tool) and several times during the ‘Levels’ stretch, I call up Curves just to measure (but not adjust) the background level.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2020 at 20:30, carastro said:

Carole  

I'll keep everything crossed for you  Carole, l ordered a Microphone from eBay, but it hasn't arrived yet, so, all I can do is watch and listen.     Looking forward to it though.

Ron.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Steve's talk last week was really good as its looking  like I might miss the beginning so is it recorded so I can catch it later?

We will be recording 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a bit of a luddite I like to get setup in advance... There is also a Zoom App for the iPad available.

With the App, you can use Settings to turn off your microphone and inhibit your video (if you want) - I have, I may have a glass of wine - who knows!

Although the meeting starts at 7:30pm, you can sign in early and wait for the organiser to start - I'm signed in.

Simon