Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Chair 🤖

Hi Folks 

I wasn't sure where to post this ... but wondered if anyone has any thoughts on observing chairs 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/b01lmy3x5q/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0psc=1pd_rd_i=b01lmy3x5qpd_rd_w=1xlbzpf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15dpd_rd_wg=kpv0gpf_rd_r=1qt1h354phw49d6kf570pd_rd_r=467bb1cd-fc29-4786-b78f-ef411219a46fspla=zw5jcnlwdgvkuxvhbglmawvypufyvefcwlfnulhatkkmzw5jcnlwdgvkswq9qtaymju0ntuxt0oxrtheutkxtdvjjmvuy3j5chrlzefkswq9qta1mzy2odkzqtlmm1zdqvnmstdzjndpzgdlde5hbwu9c3bfzgv0ywlsjmfjdglvbj1jbglja1jlzglyzwn0jmrvtm90tg9nq2xpy2s9dhj1zq==

I think this is the same as the Skywatcher option ... they appear to be robust  and stable 

Errr links not working but it was on Amazon

Thanks ... Brian 

Edited by Solar B

I can't remember where I read them but seem to remember there were some negative comments on the Skywatcher branded observing chair.

I haven't used that particular one but can give my seal of approval on this one.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/mey_chair_systems_af6_kl_wh.htm?o=26&search=1589370528

I've been happily using this in my garden for the last 4.5 years.

It's easy to add some star nuts to make it easier to dismantle for storage though you might need to drill a couple of holes to make the lowest seat position a bit lower, but it's comfortable and stable and quick to change the seat height.

It's not the best if you want to transport it, but it's easily dismantle once you've added star nuts.

Ade

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I can't remember where I read them but seem to remember there were some negative comments on the Skywatcher branded observing chair.

I haven't used that particular one but can give my seal of approval on this one.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/mey_chair_systems_af6_kl_wh.htm?o=26&search=1589370528

I've been happily using this in my garden for the last 4.5 years.

It's easy to add some star nuts to make it easier to dismantle for storage though you might need to drill a couple of holes to make the lowest seat position a bit lower, but it's comfortable and stable and quick to change the seat height.

It's not the best if you want to transport it, but it's easily dismantle once you've added star nuts.

Ade

Likewise Ade. I have used the Mey observing chair for a few years, and I can't fault it.

• Thanks 2

I'm not really sure how they're called in English, but in Dutch we call them 'ironing chairs'. They offer the same functionality as observing chairs but they are usually much cheaper. I've been using one for years. It's remarkable how expensive things can get when they're 'astronomy' branded. Just a suggestion 🙃.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I have this chair and it is basically ok, but if you catch the front of the seat it has a habit of dropping down to the lowest setting very quickly. There have been a couple of occasions when I have ended up with my backside 3 inches off the floor and a surprised look on my face! 🤣

I normally use my Catsperch wooden observing seat which is very good.

https://www.wood-wonders.com/catsperch-chairs/

I upgraded the padding on the seat with some old garden kneeling pad material and black vinyl so it is more comfortable now. It goes up very high so can be useful if you need a bit of height! I shouldn’t embarrass poor @Steve but I’m sure I recall pretty much lifting him onto it at SGL10 to look into my scope 🤣 (sorry Steve)

5E21E49C-7942-4392-8295-59ED56BDC099.jpeg

76A94598-6E44-49A5-9843-BDD1B0F27CB5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 for the Mey observing chair also endorsed by @AdeKing & @Saganite

I've had mine for a similar length of time and its been ideal.

Its pretty heavy, but solidly built to last. 

FLO used to stock them once upon a time, but not any more.

But its an easy process to order from the Fatherland. There may be colour options ; mine is the 'blue version'.

Highly recommended 😀

22916277599_409887e22a_c.jpg

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have this chair and it is basically ok, but if you catch the front of the seat it has a habit of dropping down to the lowest setting very quickly. There have been a couple of occasions when I have ended up with my backside 3 inches off the floor and a surprised look on my face! 🤣

I've not had this problem with this one Stu, the lifting mechanism on my seat is really quite stiff. 

It sounds like it could have been your report that I read then Stu.

I also have one of Geoptik Nadira chairs that I use when I need to be mobile.

I love the design of the Catsperch chairs but I'm not much good at woodwork.

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AdeKing said:

I've not had this problem Stu, the lifting mechanism on my seat is really quite stiff. 

Maybe there is some variability amongst them like in so many other things.

Interesting. Mine had a strange spring mechanism which is designed to hold down the front of the seat but which was never particularly effective so I removed it in the end.

• Thanks 1

I have the Skywatcher observing chair that looks to be the same as the Omegon.  This design is very quick and easy to adjust in height.  What I particularly like about it is that the seat goes down as low as 11 inches compared with about 24 inches for the Mey chair for instance.  This makes observing at low altitude with a Dobsonian or at high altitude with a cat/refractor very much easier.  Having neck and back problems, for me that's essential rather than just being more comfortable as it would be for most people.  However, although I haven't seen one in the flesh, the mechanism of the Mey chair appears to be better.

The problem with the Skywatcher/Omegon is that the seat can suddenly slip down if you don't sit on it the right way.  The solution is simply not to put your weight solely on the back of the seat as you first sit down - it's this that causes the slippage.  If there's some weight on the front as well or instead of then it doesn't slip.

One thing that I don't like about the Skywatcher is that it's black, that makes it hard to see in the dark.  I get round this by slipping a white carrier bag over the seat.  I notice that the Mey chair comes in various colour schemes, and for this reason I'd choose the two-tone black and white.

• Thanks 1

Wow ... I hadn't realised that observing chairs were so popular 👍 & Thanks 

Stu yours looks like a work of art and wonderful 😻

I'm leaning toward the Mey chair now as aesthetics do matter as I'm a day time only 

observer  🌞 I'm currently using 2/3 stools so 1 would kinda make sense 😂

I'll check roughly what observing heights I require throughout the day first though 👽

Brian 

I made a catsperch chair for use with visual astronomy back in 2013 which I still use occasionally. Great for a dob as long as the dob isn't 8 feet off the ground at which point I would not feel safe.

Here are the pictures and it is made mainly from 18mm plywood and a broom handle (guess where it is). I have the plans somewhere if you want a PDF of them.

IMG_0894.thumb.JPG.ce83fe00bd6f32c4ba6b632c08ccdeff.JPGIMG_0893.thumb.JPG.eb97571c45c50220f5d3dab9f61b14f0.JPGIMG_0892.thumb.JPG.6004775de91095c9093221c966a4d2fa.JPGIMG_0891.thumb.JPG.29d081e919ebe7b42e0723ce4c6cc847.JPGIMG_0890.thumb.JPG.f99e830561707ff174029e92a5db20de.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Waddensky said:

I'm not really sure how they're called in English, but in Dutch we call them 'ironing chairs'. They offer the same functionality as observing chairs but they are usually much cheaper. I've been using one for years. It's remarkable how expensive things can get when they're 'astronomy' branded. Just a suggestion 🙃.

A strijkstoel? Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JG777 said:

I have been using the Geoptic Nadira chair, can't really fault it.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-nadira-astronomy-observing-chair.html

Me too, I have the same chair and it's very good. If I could pick out one improvement area it would be to add a padded seat and make it slightly larger for my bum!

Good chair though, with plenty of adjustment:thumbsup::hello2:

Dave

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Me too, I have the same chair and it's very good. If I could pick out one improvement area it would be to add a padded seat and make it slightly larger for my bum!

Good chair though, with plenty of adjustment:thumbsup::hello2:

Dave

No comment 

Resisting....

🤣

7 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

What are you "resisting", Jeremy?

Come on, let's get to the bottom of this.. as you can see, I'm NOT resisting!😂🤣

Dave

This is a thread I can get behind.

Just didn’t want to make you the butt of the joke.

....that feels better, Dave 🙂

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

What are you "resisting", Jeremy?

Come on, let's get to the bottom of this.. as you can see, I'm NOT resisting!😂🤣

Dave

Thought it wouldn’t be long before you let rip Dave 🙂

• Haha 1