Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Worthing

MylesGibson

Hello all, I have been aware of SGL for a while, and have read things but never posted. I then came across the topic about AP with an EQ3 (HERE) and thought I would make my first post.

I have been doing astronomy for about 3 years now and I am still yet to get any GoTo equipment. I still find my way around the sky manually, using star hopping in the finderscope to get to my targets, reading star charts and using apps. I enjoy a mix of both visual and AP. Looking forward to looking around and getting tips and tricks from people, and enjoying the content of the site.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

I'm in Worthing at the moment, work in Findon Valley.

Are you from this area then, or just work nearby? Theres a few half decent observing spots around this way that I know of, but mayne you know more!

1 hour ago, wxsatuser said:

I'm from Steyning, to much LP at home although all the football field lights have been off since the shutdown.

Don't know of any good spots as I have always done my AP from home.

Near you there is Kithurst Hill. Up the top there is a good spot. People from my astronomy group including go there often. There is also Bignor Hill quite nearby that is a good spot. The astro group also use Bury school car park too which has some really nice skies. Those are probably the best you'll get around here.

Welcome from another West sussexer? Is that a thing :)

Hope you enjoy the vast amount of knowledge pool available here, I know I personally have learned a huge amount during my relatively short time here.

• Thanks 1

Dear old grannybgoode lived in Goring by Sea. Many many holidays spent down your neck of the woods. 

You’ve done better than me in being able to manually locate targets. I just didn’t have the patience so quickly got a goto. I blame the heavily light polluted skies - too hard to see the stars to jump to :)  

Have finally got a basic grip on AP though - great fun when it works. Which for me is not often!

• Thanks 1

Hi from an ex-Worthinger (well, Goring)

I left back in the 80s. I remember the street lights would turn out after midnight(ish), and I could see the Milky-way from the back garden. Is it still like that?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

I remember the street lights would turn out after midnight(ish), and I could see the Milky-way from the back garden. Is it still like that?

Unfortunately not any more! Too much LP from the town centre and nearby areas!

2 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

You’ve done better than me in being able to manually locate targets. I just didn’t have the patience so quickly got a goto.

That was patience and being determined to be able to navigate the skies without assistance. Before I got into it I knew someone who liked astronomy who had loads of cool gear but if you asked him where something is he had no idea. I didnt want to be like that. I wanted to be able to direct people if asked and navigate around the sky to help others. 

• Like 2