Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

And the first images are showing that the comet is bright and fine! The estimated magnitude is between +0.5 and -0.4 (I didn’t make the photo, Oscar Martin Mesonero took it from Salamanca, Spain).

Eb5qgf1VAAEX76M.jpeg

Edited by HaleBopp2007
  • Like 10

Nice.  You can see the twin tails even with significant ambient light.  Perihelion still a day away so the possibility exists to get brighter still before the fade starts.

Weatherwise, I've got strong wind and heavy rain forecast for the next few days so patience is needed.

• Sad 1

Phew! I was kinda getting bored without anyone to talk with... I'm lucky with the weather...

The comet will stabilize in brightness for a few days, so I think I'll manage to see it from the 4th to the 10th of July at dawn with my 180 Mak. Then I will go to Calar Alto observatory and see it at dusk on the 16th or the 17th, when it will be between +1.5 and +2.5.

Also consider that the photo is through an ED80 scope. 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

I'm very much looking forward to seeing NEOWISE, if the weather gives a chance. I only managed one astronomy session in June due to the weather, so will need to keep my fingers crossed during July! March to May were much clearer, so we could do with a return to those conditions.

From studying the position of the comet via Heavens-above.com, I think it should be visible locally from about 12 June. Those with a low Northern horizon should be able to see it earlier.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye on the images coming in from elsewhere. Good luck to all those comet-spotting this month!

Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1

The next big question for me is 'how big is the tail in dark skies?'  I'd hope for 10 degrees or more.  Looking at the image posted above it looks very similar to Hale Bopp in appearance.  Hale Bopp's dust tail was 40 degrees.  One can only hope for something similar.

• Like 1

Well, for me it's more like McNaught... Maybe when it goes to dark skies we may see 15 or 20 Degrees. Who knows! 

PD: Hale - Bopp's tail was around 15 degrees, not 40. An example of a comet with that tail was the Great Daylight Comet in 1910.

Edited by HaleBopp2007

I thought it was much shorter until looking it up on wikipedia.  It states 'As it passed perihelion on April 1, 1997, the comet developed into a spectacular sight. It shone brighter than any star in the sky except Sirius, and its dust tail stretched 40–45 degrees across the sky.'  I think it was comet mcnaught that had the really  spectacular tail though.

If Neo was 15 degrees, I'd be happy.  I have a possible weather window on Tuesday 7th at dawn.  Camera is ready.

Mi old Nikon D90 should capture this as well. On July 6th, July 8th and July 10th, I will try and take a look at the comet. Also, I've seen some images that show a slightly curved tail, but not a fan-shaped tail... 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

I think a fan tail is caused by a bright gritty comet, i.e. one releasing lots of particles and leaving a debris trail as it changes direction at a perihelion close to the sun.  Neo is only at perihelion today so perhaps a fan will develop?  Also the comet composition makes a difference.  If it's predominantly made of CO2, water, methane, ammonia and other elements that will vaporise, it will develop an ion tail in addition to the dust tail but the dust tail is less likely to be prominent.

My guess based on the previously seen green coma and twin tails is that Neo is composed of more frozen gasses than grit so we won't see a fan but will see a distinct twin tail like Hale Bopp.  I want to take some landscape photographs with the comet prominent in the sky so would like a long bright tail.  My guess here is that I'll be disappointed because I don't think it's releasing much dust to cause a long relatively dense debris trail.

Got out with my camera and binos with high hope this morning only to be let down with clouds and light showers.

If its visible from Arizona, can I expect it to be a little higher in the sky here in Florida?

To get down to 10°, I'll have to hunt for someplace where there aren't so many trees.

I did a quick lookup for mid Florida.  It's at 10 degrees with a small viewing window before dawn light overwhelms the comet.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to get much better as the days roll on.  The positive is that the head will be visible with the tail pointing up.

37 minutes ago, verreli said:

I did a quick lookup for mid Florida.  It's at 10 degrees with a small viewing window before dawn light overwhelms the comet.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to get much better as the days roll on.  The positive is that the head will be visible with the tail pointing up.

Thanks for the information. 

Must have been a mistake 😐. Besides, there are lots of photos of the comet today and it looks the same as yesterday, but with a bit longer tail and a bit brighter... 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

It has to be a mistake, because it's now at a higher mag. It was surely because of atmospheric distortion and probably the use of cameras. it's like when the comet was still approaching. It's not accurate data. 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

Interesting picture.  That looks like a broad dust tail rather than a twin tail.  Almost like a wide fissure has opened up.  It's consistent with other pictures and views but we're now seeing more detail.

2 minutes ago, matt_baker said:

Will we be able to see it from the UK?

Yes, assuming clear sky's although wait a few days for better views.  Tomorrow, from Derby, it will be 2 degrees above the horizon at 3:15 North East but quickly consumed by dawn.  By the 11th it will have climbed to 11 degrees at the same time and be North North-East.  At 1am, the darkest part of night it will be 6 degrees above the horizon, due North.  Obviously the comet is now dimming, question, how fast?  I'd be looking sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, verreli said:

Obviously the comet is now dimming, question, how fast?

Here's a light curve based on the lastest observations. Reports on other forums seem to indicate the brightness assessments of the last days were a little overestimated.