NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My wish to see a planet... I'm no astronomer

I've been fixated on the stars ever since Hale Bopp passed us when I was a child. I gazed in wonder at it every night for a week and it's never left me. I've got a burning desire to see a planet and it's surface through a telescope, but I am no astronomer. I figure there must be somewhere for tourists to go and pay for a guided experience, either in the UK or abroad. However I'm not sure where to start, so here I am. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum like me I'm new as well I have been lucky as I have seen Jupiter Venus last year saw the transit of mercury pass the sun

Fantastic I have also see the red planet Mars only through binoculars my favourite is Saturn so beautiful hanging there all we really see are clouds 

Some belts you have to be patient at the telescope the eye has to focus to and be amazed

but it has taken me a long time to view

And I'm still learning 

• Like 1

Hi Martin, a good place to start would be to contact your local astronomy society or club. This link might help find one local to you.
http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk

The society (Norwich) where I am a member has it’s own observatories and runs monthly public viewing nights during the dark autumn and winter months.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi Martin, the best planet to look at for surface detail through an amateur telescope is Jupiter, where the equatorial belts and the Great Red Spot (GRS) can be easily studied.  For 'wow' factor though Saturn and its rings is the best target.  As others have mentioned, find an astronomy club and start from there, here is another 'find a club' link: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/locator.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martin McCarthy said:

I've got a burning desire to see a planet and it's surface through a telescope

A bit facetiously, but I can't resist, Earth is the easiest planet to see with or without a telescope.  At star parties, we always count it in when telling people how many planets they can see that night.  IMHO, it's still the most beautiful planet.

As others have mentioned, a public star party thrown by a local astronomy club is a great way to see the planets and learn more about amateur astronomy.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

My astro society (Bristol) has regular public viewing sessions as do many other astro societies throughout the country.

Currently Venus, Neptune and Uranus are visible from the UK but the other planets will put in an appearance as the months progress.

We have frequent public events here in North Yorkshire. The 14th of February marks the start of the two week Dark Skies Festival. There is large choice of events to choose from. Search the interweb for dark sky festival and choose your location.

Martin after local astronomy groups you may wish to search to see if there are any public observatories in your local area; one or two local authorities in the UK still support and fund public observatories like Dundee and the Coates observatory in Paisley. Then there is also the Herstmonceux Observatory (Science Centre) in Hailsham and the Kielder Observatory in Northumberland, and the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory in Ayrshire.   These latter ones would be really good to combine with a short break holiday; they also offer special public programs which you can find on their web sites.   Some Universities  (Physics and Astronomy departments) also have public open events but these tend to be a one night per year event so perhaps a bit limiting in terms of accessibility. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

Hello Martin and welcome to SGL.

You've come to the right place!  Where are you based?  As others have said, the bright object to the right of the moon at the moment is Venus and when they are well placed Jupiter and Saturn are spectacular through even a modest telescope.

Clear skies, Ian

If your in north America there kitt speaks and several places that u can rent a cabin in Arizona or Texas area.as well as a rental program where u use a scope all to yourself,  like 12 inch scts to 16 inch sct.

U can rent the cabin and scope for whole weekend. Its probably not cheap. consider it a mini vacation. 

And it's some of darkest skies either grey or black zones.

Personally tho I would just buy a scope and learn to use it etc. It doesn't have to be expensive 300 would get u a nice scope.

Where I am there is a local astro club but it's more like 1 day a month. And if it's not clear then its cancelled. 

Not to mention if u have 20 to 30 people there u get like a look for like 30 secs.

The planets r not always around too.and for those that dont drive probably wont work taking ttc there.

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

Martin

Welcome from Land Down Under

My club also holds regular public viewing nights, and visitors as welcome at our monthly meet as well

As a club, we also go into primary schools, scout groups and do presentations

Last night was trying to catch Neptune adjacent to Venus, unfortunately cloud cover rolled in and will try again tonight

The attached pic was taken at one of our recent solar public viewing days, held on the foreshore Goldcoast adjacent to SeaWorld theme park

We also do public display in conjunction with our local Lions Club, fun raiser for them, International Night of The Moon, and have between 400 - 600 people turn up through local advertising community newspaper

Club members will only be too happy to show you their setup and equipment

At the moment, we do not have Jupiter and Saturn visible night sky until late April, early May

Hope I have been of assistance

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Really do need to know where you are in terms of location. Then more relevant options can be made.

There is a list of possible places: https://gostargazing.co.uk/

Appears to be at least a start. Presently not many planets around in the sky, well not easy ones. In June Jupiter and Saturn are I believe closest to us, however then days are long then so reduced nighttime and often clubs go quiet for that time of year.

The other point to consider is that whereever you are and go to the night you go has to be clear, and that could be a more relevant problem.

16 hours ago, Louis D said:

A bit facetiously, but I can't resist, Earth is the easiest planet to see with or without a telescope.  At star parties, we always count it in when telling people how many planets they can see that night.  IMHO, it's still the most beautiful planet.

As others have mentioned, a public star party thrown by a local astronomy club is a great way to see the planets and learn more about amateur astronomy.

Easy to forget that we are stood on the most amazing thing in the Solar System.

• Like 3

I know the OP wants to use a telescope, but I would second a look towards the west around 6pm on a clear night, when the brightest thing, not a huge distance above the horizon is Venus and TBH I think it looks just a dazzling with the naked eye as viewing the small pinpoint white disc through a telescope.  It was really dazzling on Monday night hanging next to the small slip of moon that was out then.  Free beauty for all to see.

Edited by JOC
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Martin McCarthy said:

... but I am no astronomer...

Up to you to become one! For about £200, you could get a Skywatcher 130p + a few eyepieces which would give you great views of the planets and the moon + some bright deep sky objects whenever you want (as long as the weather plays ball 😢 )

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

I have to offer a word of caution!

Seeing Jupiter or Saturn with your own eyes can and will cause a serious case of astronomy addiction!

After a visit to a local club, or even just search the internet for anyone in your area that sets up their scope to let others get a peek into the heavens, you'll start considering your own scope.

I bought my 8" optical tube assembly, just the tube and mirrors, for a little over 200.00. I had to build the Dobsonian base to hold it.

Its given me many hours of joy.

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Best advice from me would be to buy a pair of binoculars and start getting to know the sky. Even a modest pair of binoculars, e.g. 7 x50's or 10 x 50's, you should be able to see the equatorial belts & Jovian moons of Jupiter, plus the rings of Saturn at a pinch. Download Stellarium* on your desktop/laptop PC or Mac. Other planetarium software, (free or paid), are also available.

Visit your local astronomy club/society and find out when the next star party/open evening is and start from there. Have a look through the different telescopes that are in use and ask the owners what made him/her choose that particular model/brand.

Things to bare in mind when buying a telescope are:-

• Set yourself a realistic budget.
  • Is it easy to setup on my own.
  • Is it easy to maintain.
  • How portable is it.
  • Do I want something that is airplane or public transport friendly.
  • Do I want to take images now or later.
  • Alt-Az, Go-To or EQ [manual or powered] mount.
  • Where do I store it when not in use.
  • Avoid buying from places like: alibaba, amazon, ebay, etc. - not saying that all sellers are bad - but if you receive something that is a 'dud-un' then it is your word against theirs.
  • For binoculars: avoid zoom or small/compact/pocket types and ones with extremely colourful coatings, (blue/green/orange/red), on the objective lenses, (often seen for sale at market stalls or car-boot sales) - a reputable brand should have subtle coating of blue/green like a soap bubble me thinks!

* Stellarium is free for PC/Mac; but for mobile devices, (i.e. phone/tablet), you do have to pay for it. At the time of writing it is £2.99GBP / $2.99USD.