NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which version of IC410?

assouptro

Hi all 

So I have been imaging the Nebula IC410  for a couple of months now when the skies have allowed (which hasn't been that often!) and I have finally finished processing the data. (for now)

I have 2 versions, one is SHO and the other HSO. Although the SHO has more impact I think I prefer the HSO as it looks more natural to my eye.

The nebula is in Auriga and approximately 12000 light years away, over 100 light years across and also contains two tadpole like structures that are estimated to be approximately 10 light years in length, giving it the other name of the tadpole nebula. 

The subs are a combination of 10 hrs Ha, 9 hrs Sii and Oiii so around 28 Hrs in total. acquired using Artemis Capture, calibrated, aligned, and integrated in APP then transferred to Photoshop for levels, curves and  colour balance.

thanks for looking 

Bryan

SHO Version

869241821_finishedSHOIC410.thumb.jpg.0c5fe04ca53096fdb6059630dbed482f.jpg

HSO Version

1625641716_finishedIC410.thumb.jpg.26251d26f4ce3ec1996fb2445c353af5.jpg

• Like 11

Both of them are very nice you did a great job and spend many hours to acquire all this data.

I prefer the first one because it shows more of the nebula and because it has a more ''exotic'' color.

The second is more natural.

Nikolas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vlaiv said:

HSO for me!

Although I have nothing against green of SHO, second one is more appealing to me, and I have sense it is better processed as well.

Thanks 

to be honest I spent a lot more time processing the SHO image but probably went too far. 
thanks for the comment 

Bryan 

2 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Both very nice, like others I prefer the HSO, but some details are to me clearer in the SHO, if it were mine I’d tone down the green with selective colour..  I’d also do an HOO version 

Dave

Thanks Dave 

I will probably have a go at a HOO version, I was considering it but there is a lot more data in the Sii stack than the Oiii so I was reluctant to not include it!

thanks for the comment 

Bryan

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I prefer the slightly wider fov in the sho one, but perhaps just slightly less green. The hso is fantastic too though. 

Thanks for the comment. I just roughly cropped them both last night but not quite equally. There was a bit more sky available in both images but I thought the nebula and the "tadpoles" stood out a bit more with a tighter crop.

Cheers 

Bryan

13 minutes ago, gorann said:

I side with the majority: the more natural look of HSO appeals to me. Great image by the way!

What scope and camera?

Hi Gorann 

Thanks for the comment. 

The scope is a Revelation Astro ED100 doublet refractor with a TS flat2 and a Revelation Astro Ultrafocus focuser to carry the weight of the camera which is a Atik 460 with a 9 position 1.25" atik EFW2. The filters are astrodon 5mn filters.

Thanks 

Bryan

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

The HSO does look more natural, if that's the right way to describe a false colour image, but as you've put 28 hours into this, I'd say fly that SHO flag all the way! Great detail in it! Nothing wrong with green! 🇮🇪

Thanks David 

I will probably have another go at the SHO as I have lost the details a little somewhere in the process. for example the stars in the tapdoles as seen here.

1722297871_finishedIC410crop.jpg.0e29b02deed7da2875d2dce7e1a261cf.jpg

and here

885196465_combine-RGB-cropped.jpg.b79aa3aa8ed8ad1cca089016084929a6.jpg

• Like 1

I agree the details are better in the HSO version, but rather than throw out the SHO version completely, what about mixing the details of the HSO version, with the colours of the SHO version (with a few tweaks and a bit more green taken out).

Something like the one below? (hope you don't mind, i just combined the 2 Jpg's in PS. only spent about 10 mins). 

Really great image btw!

Combined.thumb.jpg.0d8e1a480958786d76a623310881da42.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/11/2019 at 01:07, assouptro said:

I have 2 versions, one is SHO and the other HSO. Although the SHO has more impact I think I prefer the HSO as it looks more natural to my eye. 

HSO is the only choice for me, I don't like green in astro-images. 

Adam

• Like 1

I'm going to be awkward and say that I prefer the less saturated image i.e. the  HSO.  I think I would go for the HST if  the OIII showed a little more and perhaps a fraction less saturation.  I like the fact that you have green in the image which helps shows where Ha is even more dominant.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Adam J said:

HSO is the only choice for me, I don't like green in astro-images. 

Adam

I have to agree with Adam - I never found green in astroimages pleasing even if I am a biologist who loves all the green down here on earth.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

If you remove the green from the image--the SHO palette is different.  In Pixinsight--just apply scnr green .  Not sure how to do it in PS.  Ypou do not have to remove all of the green--I often do not.  But I like to remove most visible green

Rodd