Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

364 Excellent

About Grimbles

  • Rank
    Star Forming

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Interests
  • Location
  1. Hi Everyone Set up the MAK yesterday and did some testing of the kit and my memory on using this set up. A quick image of Montes Apenninus, 600 frames stacked from 2000 using ZWO 850 IR pass. Cropped to remove stacking artifacts. Thanks Martin
  2. Hi I used a 150pds on an eq5 pro for imaging with a modded DSLR for a few years. Performance will come down to good balancing and mount tuning, I also used a finder guider with this setup which obviously helped no end in terms of the ability to capture longer subs. So it does work, however as others have stated you will be close to the limit for imaging weight wise and anything more than a slight breeze will cause you to discard quite a few subs. I eventually upgraded to an HEQ5 which was much more suited to the scope. If you are not ready to upgrade the mount I would suggest, again as others already have, that the 130PDS may be a better option. Good Luck Martin
  3. Both are great but I do prefer the slightly increased contrast of the revised version it gives the dusty areas more emphasis, and I agree the core on the second version is more subtle and showing a little more detail. A really very nice image.
  4. Given up now, light rain with sleet mixed in. Here's hoping the forecast for Sunday night stays the same, as tomorrows has already changed from crystal clear from 1900 to clear from midnight.
  5. Sat around for a few hours ready to go but not achieved anything yet, periods of crytal clear between short showers every 10 min, which is not good when trying to do 15 min subs. CO and rain radar looking fine after midnight, not sure what to do now, will wait another hour and see what happens.
  6. I don't usually use text speak but...... OMG!!! It looks like I might be able to get out and do a little imaging albeit after 2100, not only that, the weather may also be kind for the following two nights (according to CO) so three consectutive nights . I only seem to have had and hour or two clear on and off since October. Going to use this period to try to get a half decent bi-colour Tadpoles. Here's hoping everyone else gets a break in the weather. Martin
  7. Awful news, happened to me about 15 months ago. I did get some stuff back, some on ebay and quite a bit was in a Cash Converters about 30 miles away, keep looking and I really hope you get lucky and recover the scope.
  8. Hi Bryan Thank you, hopefully i will get more data before it disappears. I had a modded 450d as well and didn't really notice a difference in noise, i used an iso of 800 on the 450d , the optimum on the 500d seems to be 1600. Obviously they have different processors, DIGIC III vs DIGIC 4, i am not sure how much difference that makes if any. I use several methods for noise reduction, but always do at least one pass of 'Dfine 2' from the Nik Collection plugin for Photoshop, with a setting of between 25 - 50% . I find it works very well . Martin
  9. Hi Everyone I have posted a couple of iterations of this work in progress, a Ha only version and a HaRGB. I had an early Christmas present of a 2" Baader 8nm Oiii filter which I managed to try for a little over an hour between the almost non stop wind and rain. Of course once I had the data, albeit nowhere near enough, I had to have a go at my first bi-colour. Captured with 500d, 150pds, PHD, BYEOS, HEQ5 9 x 600s Oiii 29 x 600s Ha 6 x 900s Ha Flats for each and Bias , no darks as dithered in BYEOS Processed in photoshop and PI LE, using a bi-colour HOO false green method as described by a few people including Travis Rector, Steve Cannistra, and Ken Crawford . I have also include the Ha and Oiii component images. Oiii was generated using both blue and green channels. Any comments or tips on how to improve this more than welcome. Thanks Martin Bicolour Oiii Ha
  10. Hi Everyone, I posted a basic Ha version of this a few weeks ago but have managed to get a little more data. It still needs more in particular RGB which I struggled with when trying to combine with the Ha. I blended Ha as luminance and added a little to the red channel of the RGB. 150PDS, 500D, HEQ5 , PHD, Dithered in BYEOS, Optolong 7nm HA 2" Filter. Processed using DSS and PS, Ha and RGB aligned in Picture Window. 40x120s RGB 29 x 600s Ha 6 x 900s Ha 7.6 Hours total Flats & Bias Martin
  11. I use a 150pds with a 500D and the Baader MPCC. If you want round stars anywhere away from the centre an MPCC is the way to go. The stock focuser on these scopes does suffer from a little sag with a DSLR hanging off it, so even with the MPCC there will still be a little tweaking to get good stars accross the image, also collimation has to be spot on.
  12. HSO for me. Great natural looking image
  13. Hi Everyone I am posting this out of frustration in that like many on here I am trying to get this season started but have only had about 5 hours of clear sky in the last two months, and that was during an almost full moon on 7th Nov hence the Ha. Nothing like enough Ha data on this yet and will, if the weather gods allow, add RGB. 19 x 600s lights , 22 Flats, 22 Bias, Dithered in BYEOS / PHD so no Darks Modded 500D, 150PDS, Optolong 2" 7nm Ha Image is cropped as framing was a bit rushed (over excited by the clear sky). This is the Red Channel only. Thanks Martin
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.