NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mercury Transits Sun - 2019 NOV 11

CentaurZ

6 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Looks like a complete write-off weather wise in the UK from the long range forecast.....  as per ususal with any exciting astronomical event.

I'm glad that I managed to get a glimpse of the last one !

Still got my fingers crossed for Monday though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Looks like a complete write-off weather wise in the UK from the long range forecast.....  as per ususal with any exciting astronomical event.

It'll probably be totally cloudless for those that take option 2; view Earth at opposition from Mercury! :)

Our Society Observatory is  planning to be open on Monday for this event, and I certainly hope the weather is compliant. I have never managed to see a Solar transit by Mercury so my fingers are crossed as  well...:happy11:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1

Yesterday, we were fogged in till almost noon. It was thick enough you could look at the huge red orb with your naked eyes.

This morning, perfectly clear. But there's a cold front coming and they're promising clouds all day tomorrow and Sunday.

I just hope it does like it almost does with a cold front and Monday is clear.

Just cleaned my lunt, hopefully it'll be clear. I did clean the front erf of the double stack, not sure if I'll bother double stacking for the transit. Took of the front lens of the single stack and cleaned that, left the etalons alone. Checked the Solarquest Mount and bought new rechargeable batteries if I need to go mobile. Added an electronic focus and two inch focuser. Now it's probably going to be cloudy cus I'm all set to go, lol. 

IMG_20191108_195156.jpg

IMG_20191108_195220.jpg

IMG_20191108_201100.jpg

On 07/11/2019 at 11:14, kirkster501 said:

I think I am free for the 2187 one ;) 

Ah, lucky you... I'm busy on May 11th 2187, but I think I'll be free on November 12th 2233.

• Haha 1

I didn't even know meteoblue had that function available. 

It shows me that best for me is Cranborne Chase so will keep an eye on all weather sources and work out where will be best. 

Feeling more positive now than I was this morning. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I didn't even know meteoblue had that function available. 

It shows me that best for me is Cranborne Chase so will keep an eye on all weather sources and work out where will be best. 

Feeling more positive now than I was this morning. 

Yes, things a looking a little brighter here on Monday afternoon too.

• Like 2

Hi everyone

Looking reasonable in Alicante. Am thinking about a 6" refractor f8 so 1200mm focal length. Do we think this will work? No idea how to fix onto the sun at that fl without having plate solving. Trial and error? Exposures for a dslr? No idea!

Any advice most gratefully received.

f1.thumb.jpg.5c934399d8eb85678452199ed5319b7c.jpgf2.thumb.jpg.ac85b822a047d3fef8b6258b36e0eb44.jpg

58 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone

Looking reasonable in Alicante. Am thinking about a 6" refractor f8 so 1200mm focal length. Do we think this will work? No idea how to fix onto the sun at that fl without having plate solving. Trial and error? Exposures for a dslr? No idea!

Any advice most gratefully received.

f1.thumb.jpg.5c934399d8eb85678452199ed5319b7c.jpgf2.thumb.jpg.ac85b822a047d3fef8b6258b36e0eb44.jpg

I can see that the Jessops filter states 'solar eclipse' so I assume its a 'Cokin' type filter to use on a camera. I also assume that the 'round' black object is a cap to place on the front of the 6" scope with the filter attached?

I took numeous photos with a f/10 scope - the DSLR will be set to manual mode - set the ISO to 100 and start taking photos at 1/100 and then bracket from 1/50 to 1/200. Set the camera to RAW. Just a thought if its sunny today do a test run with exposures

You can find the Sun by looking at the shadow created by the scope. Whatever you do DON'T USE THE OUTSIDE SIDE OF THE FRAC AS A SIGHT TO LINE UP THE SUN.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi all, would increasing the exposure on camera give a chance of imaging Mercury just b4 transit begins. As if taking prom image or would it be still invisible until first contact? 

Nigella I would be surprised if you could see Mercury before first contact. I have seen two Venus Transits using White Light and Ha and only saw the Planet once it started its transit.

• Thanks 1