Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury Transits Sun - 2019 NOV 11

CentaurZ

Could I hope to see anything by projecting on a piece of paper or cardboard through 8x42 binos without filters?

And importantly, could I damage the binos by doing so? Wouldn’t want to crack a lens or soften up interior cementing or the like.

Just now, davhei said:

Could I hope to see anything by projecting on a piece of paper or cardboard through 8x42 binos without filters?

And importantly, could I damage the binos by doing so? Wouldn’t want to crack a lens or soften up interior cementing or the like.

May set fire to the paper :grin:

Dave

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

May set fire to the paper :grin:

Dave

Would make me look a proper pro wouldn’t it. Some boffin playing with binoculars and setting everything on fire.

😁

Edited by davhei

1 hour ago, davhei said:

I just tried to set up a little projection rig using an old 9x50 finderscope I didn't mind incinerating, some gaffer tape and some card I had handy on a photo tripod:

20191110_134414.thumb.jpg.33d82bc460b917740ddb0e1fa9a19f87.jpg

I did not, despite the immense resources at my disposal, achieve any view of the sun - I used the shadow of the scope to align, lacking any finder.

I do have a 60mm guidescope to hand, but I'd really rather not cook it, and getting it accessible is a faff. If I denuded my main scope+mount rig I could use the EQ6 (the guidescope's on a vixen ADM dovetail bar, so that works), but only for projection, and I've only got 8mm and 2.5mm eyepieces lying around the place.

Should've nabbed the £350 Lunt 35a on eBay last week... but it was showing as likely completely clouded over 😞

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

I just tried to set up a little projection rig using an old 9x50 finderscope I didn't mind incinerating, some gaffer tape and some card I had handy on a photo tripod:

I did not, despite the immense resources at my disposal, achieve any view of the sun - I used the shadow of the scope to align, lacking any finder.

I do have a 60mm guidescope to hand, but I'd really rather not cook it, and getting it accessible is a faff. If I denuded my main scope+mount rig I could use the EQ6 (the guidescope's on a vixen ADM dovetail bar, so that works), but only for projection, and I've only got 8mm and 2.5mm eyepieces lying around the place.

Should've nabbed the £350 Lunt 35a on eBay last week... but it was showing as likely completely clouded over 😞

That doesn't look like the projected image of the Sun to me, at the apparent projection distance I would expect it to look much larger?

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

That doesn't look like the projected image of the Sun to me, at the apparent projection distance I would expect it to look much larger?

Like I said, didn't manage to get anything out. Making a note for 2031 or thereabouts to get myself properly sorted out for solar imaging - in advance!

Setups above look much more sorted - best of luck...

This morning like the pilots would say, I've got ceiling and visibility unlimited.

If the weather holds, I'm taking my DOB out of the observatory and setting it up in a location that let's me see the sun at 5° above the horizon.

I'm pretty  certain it will be good viewing with temps in the 60's and humidity in the high 50's.

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

I think the problem with using a finder is the limited focusing range. The further the projection range, the more you have to withdraw the eyepiece to refocus the image.   🙂       

Yup, that sounds about right. Plus I don't have any way to mount an actual eyepiece in the tube - the threads are all Odd, so not something I've got lying around. Work's dumped a load of meetings on me tomorrow anyway, so I shall be watching everyone's results on here from inside a darkened office...

59 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

It looks like your finder has cross hairs - those will fry 🥺

Helen

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Has anyone tried building a sun funnel? Looks like a simple project. 🤔

https://legacy.aas.org/files/resources/build_a_sun_funnel_v3.2.pdf

Me!!  Works brilliantly - was my favourite viewing method for the US total eclipse (the unfiltered telescope view at totality was the ultimate, but apart from those 2 minutes 😉)

If you need projection screen material give me a shout - minimum order was rather bigger than the funnel 🙄

Helen

5 minutes ago, Helen said:

It looks like your finder has cross hairs - those will fry 🥺

Helen

And guess how we know this?  :blush:

We had a lovely, sunny afternoon today.
Capturing loads of prom videos over a couple of hours. :thumbsup:
The forecast for tomorrow is still determinedly grey and overcast over here.  :sad2:
Sunny for most days after that too. Sniff! Blah! :crybaby2:

59 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Testing, testing... the forecast looks increasingly optimistic here in Wiltshire. Fingers crossed!

How's your horizon Gav, looking at the Sun today it's going to be behind the rooftops here before it's hardly started.

Dave

39 minutes ago, Helen said:

Me!!  Works brilliantly - was my favourite viewing method for the US total eclipse (the unfiltered telescope view at totality was the ultimate, but apart from those 2 minutes 😉)

If you need projection screen material give me a shout - minimum order was rather bigger than the funnel 🙄

Helen

Looks like an interesting little project for sometime this winter. Will keep you in mind if I need some projection material. 👍🏻

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I took this earlier, only using a iPhone and smartphone adapter over the eyepiece. Tomorrow’s forecast for my area of Wiltshire looks promising, maybe a few clouds but mainly sunny. I did buy a ZWO ASI 224MC USB 3.0 Colour Camera over the weekend but I’ll stick with my trusty dslr tomorrow, having not used a ccd camera before. 

B406A366-8E10-4AA5-A500-2173AB20FD16.thumb.jpeg.47ac429fd042915656de2dab9345ac55.jpeg