SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mercury Transits Sun - 2019 NOV 11

CentaurZ

I'm just hoping for a small patch of clear sky between 12:35pm and 3:00 pm-ish. I won't see the end of the transit because the Sun will have set and it's probably asking too much for clear skies for the 1st and 2nd contact events so just a chance to see the disk of Mercury against the solar disk will do for me :icon_biggrin:

• Like 3

@Davey-T - I will be setting up at the Marlborough College Observatory, which has much clearer horizons than my garden. Fingers crossed for clear sky to get some pics and hopefully a healthy stream of pupils and staff through to look at the tiny disk of Mercury against the huge Sun. We can dream....!

31 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I wish I had prepped for this, I literally have no means to observe or image the transit. I'll have to enjoy other peoples captures instead if the weather plays ball. 

You can follow it on GONG solar if you have access to it.     🙂

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 10:26, JOC said:

I've got a home-made Baader solar full apperture filter for the 200P that I keep safe in a special box - I reckon I could use that and my solar finder and stand a chance of seeing mercury go across the sun with a suitable EP - I shall be at home on the 11th and could easily pop outside if it was sunny for a few minutes at lunchtime if I had things set-up.

that's pretty much my plan too - made a filter for the 200P tonight, and am working at home tomorrow, so will pop out if it's sunny enough. 

45 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I wish I had prepped for this, I literally have no means to observe or image the transit. I'll have to enjoy other peoples captures instead if the weather plays ball. 

I'm in the same boat. Thought about getting a solar filter for the 127 Mak but I'm in work 7-7 and it's a Monday and I'll be getting mithered by the 9-5 week day gang. So the filter never got past the thinking stage :(

I might wait until after Sunset then I won't need the filter....

Edited by Paul M
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I will have a C8, 150 SW refractor and 100mm Tal refractor with full aperture Baader white light filters and  150mm and 60mm Ha refractors ready for any gaps in the cloud.   🙂

That’s just not fair Peter. 

I’m going to take my Lunt 60 to work with me in Central London but not getting my hopes up.

15 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I might wait until after Sunset then I won't need the filter....

Take care with the idea, Paul. I don't want to sound like a mom, but it's probably not worth risking your eyes. In astronomical terms the next transit is literally just round the corner :smiley:

10 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

Take care with the idea, Paul. I don't want to sound like a mom, but it's probably not worth risking your eyes. In astronomical terms the next transit is literally just round the corner :smiley:

It's ok, I think my eyes will be safe "after sunset" :)

• Haha 3

Its looking good down here in Poole in Dorset at the moment with a good Met Office Forecast for the village of Cranborne up on Cranborne Chase for the majority of the day, so that's where we're headed.

There is a good brewery in Cranborne as well so in the event it all goes to pieces later we're covered.

Hope that others planning to view the event either get good weather or are able to travel to somewhere with a good outlook.

Ade

• Like 3

I think I'm going to stay put and take my chances from where I am. Not looking good at the moment but this afternoon looks a bit more optimistic.

I did get some views of the last transit so it's not the end of the world if things dont work out today.

• Sad 1

Weather looking reasonable (although hazy) - my biggest challenge is going to be finding somewhere with a low enough horizon... I just want to see something!!  About to start packing the car - wish I had a travel kettle as its windy and I'm sure it will be perishing cold too brrrr

Helen

• Like 1

10.15 now and completely cloudy with light rain.  The sun has been out, and hopefully will come out again during the transit at some time.  About 11.30 I'm heading up to Penistone Hill country park with my observing buddies Mike and Derek.   It is only about 10mts drive away.  It has a great 360 degree horizon with splendid views.  We  will be able to  to observe it t until the sun sets if there is a break - so still hopefull.  It's kind of Mike to come and pick me up as I had a foot operation just over two weeks ago, need crutches (or at least one!) and won't be able to drive for some weeks.

Good luck to everyone 👍

Edited by paulastro