Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TEC140FL 'Retirement scope' first look

Back in 2008 i decided to purchase my first large aperture refractor, and at the time back then had my heart set on a TEC140 from the US after reading the glowing reviews over on the CN forum.

They were a premium price, (too much in fact) and with no UK dealers around then i decided against importing one privately. 

I opted for a William Optics FLT132 (one of the early models) and it served me very well, and despite a few niggles, it provided me with some memorable views.

Fast forward 10 years, and is often the case in this hobby i had quietly amassed 6 telescopes and various accessories, some bought second hand, which weren't getting a whole lot of use.

I decided i'd put my name down for the scope i'd always wanted, and figured i could raise a good proportion of the funds needed for the TEC by having a clearout.

I sold off 5 scopes, electing to keep just my OO 12" Dobsonian : (My WO 132, My second hand WO FLT 98, my 70mm F5 astrograph, my C9.25 and my used Meade 6" SCT all went to new homes)

I also sold off all my 2" eyepieces (i was sorry to say goodbye to the 31 Nagler) a Paracorr, a pair of binocs, and a few other miscellaneous bits and bobs.

Once the sales were completed, i'd raised nearly two thirds of the funds needed for the TEC, so with some savings, i hit the 'buy' button and forwarded my deposit.

Towards the end of 2017, TEC announced they were discontinuing the 'ED' designed 140mm after producing over 750 units in 15 years - due to the scarcity of the FPL53 blanks in that size.

Yuri Petrunin, CEO at TEC, opted to switch the design to Fluorite, which was already being used in their larger 160mm (and above) refractors.

The changeover, together with a few production delays, and an already full order book for the old design, made the normal 6 month wait time rather longer.....

I was actually promised the scope 6 months ago, which i thought a little optimistic, and then it all went a bit quiet.

I wasn't too worried, it just gave me the extra time needed to save up my pennies.

When Rupert, from Astrograph, got in touch at the end of August to say the scope had arrived, a full 13 months had elapsed since i put my initial order and deposit in place.

As far as i know, i'm the first customer in the UK to receive one.

While i'm here, i must say that despite the long wait, i've had excellent service from Rupert. He's been in touch regularly, and kept me up to speed all the way.

I've brought from him before, and its always been a pleasure to buy from him. He even delivers the scopes personally himself. He spent an hour and a half with me, showed me the scope, and

how to set it up for imaging, and we had a good natter over a cup of coffee about all things astro.

The scope itself, looks pretty similar to my old FLT132. Its the same F7, a very slightly larger 140mm aperture at 980mm focal length.

It even has the same focuser. It actually feels a tad lighter to me, maybe thats the lens design or possibly a thinner tube ?

The suppled case is a lot smaller than my WO case which had wheels and weighed a ton, and is a much lower profile size, making transportation a whole lot easier.

This one with scope inside weighs around 15kg i think, compared to the hernia inducing 22kg of the old scope.

I opted for a carry handle and extra dovetail for future imaging, and also purchased the optional TEC 0.9x corrector which is a sizeable chunk of glass in its own right.

One of the main reasons why i went for this particular scope is its design.

Its an oil spaced triplet with a centre CaF2 Fluorite element. With only 2 glass to air surfaces (rather than the 6 in air spaces designs)  cool down times are significantly reduced.

I'm let to believe the scope will perform to its full potential in as little as 45 mins which is a big plus for me. A big, big plus.

Its already had its first light, a daytime session this afternoon to check focusing with the binoviewer.

Theres no issues there : i managed focus comfortably with no corrector in place with a full 18mm back focus remaining on the Feathertouch.

Daytime views of distant objects looked rather fine, with treetops in particular very sharply defined against the blue sky.

A blue sky ????  Its clear ??  😯

Isn't the weather normally dire when a new scope arrives ? Well not this time for a change.....😀

Thanks for reading.

48684127651_222f155ef8_c.jpg

48683790313_97d78fdc23_c.jpg

48684302847_06f74396d5_c.jpg

• Like 39

Holy smokes - that is an absolutely stunning set up.  I hope you get many  hours under the stars.  Man, I can only imagine the views.  Make sure to report back as you begin to use it.

john

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on the new scope...a beauty :thumbright:

Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

I think a retirement scope is a great present to oneself....What a great idea.

Where's my wife, Sweetheart, hunny  ...You know when I retire!! :p 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful scope, TB, and great story. I felt exactly like you when I had the chance to buy a mint FS128 and mount a couple of years ago. I had to sell most of my kit to fund it, but it was worth it, and just thinking of the coming winter season with it, and Orion & Co now that I am retired, sends a tingle down my spine😁.

Enjoy your wonderful new TEC!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very Nice indeed. I do like a nice quality refractor. The views I find are just so sharp and clear . 🔭

I would also treat yourself to an Obs in the garden as soon as possible. You are going to do yourself an injury if your not careful lugging that set up out night after night(or do the scope an injury). And now you are retired then no excuses for not having the time

Enjoy 👍 🔭