Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Three Pretty Maids All in a Row

I have today signed an agreement with my employer that will mean that I take early retirement on Friday 28th June :eek::glasses12::headbang::hello2::glasses9:...

I knew this was on the cards around a month ago, but couldn't say anything definite until it was signed and definite. That happened today.

I have been selling off quite a lot of items recently in anticipation of this, since my income will drop dramatically before long: I make no complaint about that, as I need to "cut my cloth" for a couple of years until my state pension kicks in. Anyway, this evening being such a lovely warm evening, I decided to photograph my Zeiss Telementor II ready for sale shortly, and while I was at it, I thought it would be nice to take a couple of photos of all my 3 currently remaining scopes together, hence the topic title.

I think they look rather nice together, although very different scopes: from left to right, Takahashi FS 128 on Tak EM2 equatorial mount with RA Drive, Moonraker 80mm F15 achromat on GPDX mount with Dual Drives, Telementor II on original Zeiss mount, (dates from 1989) with manual dual drives.

I will be sad to see the Zeiss go, it's a fabulous little scope that punches well above it's weight, and is in wonderful condition for it's age. But I will be keeping my Tak and the Moonraker and that will help console me for having to move the Zeiss on.

Thanks for looking:laugh:

Dave

Tak Raker Zeiss.jpg

Tak Raker Zeiss 2.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 24

Beautiful triplet there Dave. Will be sad to see the Zeiss go I'm sure, but you will hardly be roughing it with those other two lovelies! I didn't even know you had the Moonraker!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind remarks guys☺. It's starting to sink in now, having been a bit surreal to begin with. I'm certainly looking forward to some longer late night sessions from autumn onwards.

Stu, I've had the Moonraker for almost 5 years.. it was I believe a prototype made by Mark at Moonraker originally for Neil English. It's based around a Towa Topic (aka Meade 339) 80mm F15 optics set, with an aluminium tube made by Mark and what I think is a Crawmach USA dual speed Crawford focuser. It's very good on doubles and the Moon, and at F15 has great depth of focus, so getting a good focus at high power is much easier..

The dewshield is a beast and weighs a good deal so I tend to remove it when observing.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very orderly parade indeed. Wish I could inspect that guard of honour. 😂 

Something very traditional about the look of your trio. 

Very nice all around, scopes looking great and changes ring of freedoms to be enjoyed...

Best of Luck with it all and Clear Skies of course.

Freddie.

• Thanks 1

Good morning Dave. 

What a superb line up of scopes. Can only re iterate earlier comments TBH. 

Would love a look through one OTA and or maybe all of the three.  Must admit.  The Moonraker does look the absolute business and would be first in my queue.  To let the Zeiss go is a shame but I'm sure the "Tak and Moon" will give you lots of pleasure with a few / numerous  late nite viewing sessions you will be able to have in due course. 

Hope all/your other plans work out as you wish. 

Best regards.  John 

Edited by Telescope40
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning Trio Dave, I love the MoonRaker though all three are scopes that I would happily aspire to owning.

Alas, I have too many OTAs at home and would be facing VERY serious questions from Mrs AdeKing if I ended up with another, but even taking that into consideration the Zeiss is tempting, but I must resist.

I really hope that everything works out and that you soon start to enjoy late night observing without the worry gf getting up for work the next morning.

Ade

• Thanks 1

Retirement needs careful planning to avoid sloth, bad habits, weight gain and boredom.
Fulfilling hobbies, regular fresh experiences, a sound diet and plenty of exercise are vital to continued sanity and good health. IMHO.
"Use it or lose it" has more than a smidgen of underlying truth.  Learn or try something new every single day.
Every year seems shorter than the last. So make every minute count in your favour.

Cycling and walking, particularly in quiet green surroundings, bring balance without much financial investment.
Both burn empty calories from today's poor food & beverage choices. Exercise tunes your overall balance and general fitness.
You can't afford to smoke nor drink [much] and both are targets for constant price increases and increased risk of ill health.

Add up the ways that you can multiply your gains from every, low cost activity: Increased physical fitness, social and mental well being.
Walk or cycle to the shops and carry the stuff home in suitable cloth bags, a saddle bag or a rucksack: Provides:
Physical exercise, sharpened reactions, memory exercises, money saving, lowered blood pressure, a social life if you smile often enough and fresh experiences.
Make several journeys a week. Or every day, if need be and do avoid main roads. The car needs its rest far more than you do now.

Swimming? Bowls? Golf? Metal detecting? Photography?  Map reading? Exploring canal footpaths? Researching local history? Voluntary work?
The library can save considerable expense on hard back books and magazines for research and hobbies. Charity shops for cheap but quality clothing if you're "picky."
Above all, avoid online forums where ye olde pedants offer free advice and therapy for fellow, Traveling Twirleys! :wink2:

Enjoy? If you can.  :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 20/06/2019 at 15:50, Rusted said:

Retirement needs careful planning to avoid sloth, bad habits, weight gain and boredom.
Fulfilling hobbies, regular fresh experiences, a sound diet and plenty of exercise are vital to continued sanity and good health. IMHO.
"Use it or lose it" has more than a smidgen of underlying truth.  Learn or try something new every single day.
Every year seems shorter than the last. So make every minute count in your favour.

Cycling and walking, particularly in quiet green surroundings, bring balance without much financial investment.
Both burn empty calories from today's poor food & beverage choices. Exercise tunes your overall balance and general fitness.
You can't afford to smoke nor drink [much] and both are targets for constant price increases and increased risk of ill health.

Add up the ways that you can multiply your gains from every, low cost activity: Increased physical fitness, social and mental well being.
Walk or cycle to the shops and carry the stuff home in suitable cloth bags, a saddle bag or a rucksack: Provides:
Physical exercise, sharpened reactions, memory exercises, money saving, lowered blood pressure, a social life if you smile often enough and fresh experiences.
Make several journeys a week. Or every day, if need be and do avoid main roads. The car needs its rest far more than you do now.

Swimming? Bowls? Golf? Metal detecting? Photography?  Map reading? Exploring canal footpaths? Researching local history? Voluntary work?
The library can save considerable expense on hard back books and magazines for research and hobbies. Charity shops for cheap but quality clothing if you're "picky."
Above all, avoid online forums where ye olde pedants offer free advice and therapy for fellow, Traveling Twirleys! :wink2:

Enjoy? If you can.  :D

I never thought I would get good retirement advice from SGL, but there you go!

I retire on the 3rd July, I won’t be bored to start with as there is a house move then an observatory to build, 12 months down the line is when I will need to take your sound advice on board.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomato said:

I never thought I would get good retirement advice from SGL, but there you go!

I retire on the 3rd July, I won’t be bored to start with as there is a house move then an observatory to build, 12 months down the line is when I will need to take your sound advice on board.

That gives you plenty of time to plan extra activities then

A former collegue gave me similar advice for retirement; to always have a plan, as he'd seen to many friends and former collegues retire without one and they would just end up stagnating and dying a year or so later. When I last saw him a year before he died he still seemed fairly happy, healthy and fit, was still cycling in to town for his shopping, and at the age of 81 didn't look much different to when he retired at 64

• Like 1

Congrats on the retirement, Dave! There's a few more years left for me unfortunately, but I'll be well prepared when that day finally comes around. 

I did mention to Mrs C that you are selling your Zeiss and sent her a link. She said "it's beautiful", so there may be some leverage there😂.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your kind comments, I somehow missed your reply until now..

As you probably gathered, the Zeiss went to a new home and I met the new owner at a halfway point on the road to hand it over about 3 weeks ago.

I am now getting used to the idea of being retired and Sunday evenings are now strangely happy and relaxed affairs!😀😀.

Dave

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your kind comments, I somehow missed your reply until now..

As you probably gathered, the Zeiss went to a new home and I met the new owner at a halfway point on the road to hand it over about 3 weeks ago.

I am now getting used to the idea of being retired and Sunday evenings are now strangely happy and relaxed affairs!😀😀.

Dave

I have been retired just a month, I’m still keeping most of my old Sunday afternoon/evening routine except I’m not setting the alarm at 06:45 any more.👍😀

• Like 2