Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Checking in from the Midlands!

adge87

Hello all, hope you're enjoying the long, warm, Easter weekend!

My name is Andrew, and live in the Midlands, near Coventry to be precise. I got interested in astronomy at a very young age, and I seem to recall my 'kick' into the field came from watching Star Trek with my Dad, in particular, the title sequence of Next Generation, with the swooping shots past various planets, comets etc! Been looking up ever since.

I also love astrophysics and quantum mechanics, although often the science is waaaay above my head. I can regurgitate it, but cant get my head wrapped around it!! :D

for me, theres still little better or more breathtaking than taking out the scope, especially showing the kids and wife all the various sights, even if they dont quite share my enthusiasm. I have also started taking some tentative steps into astrophotography, although I'm still very much starting out and acquiring the appropriate gear for that particular rabbit hole.

anyway, hope you're all well!

best,

Andrew

• Like 3

Hi Andrew! I'm new here too! I agree totally with your sentiments, there's nothing more amazing than what is above and all around us! I got my first look at Jupiter by pure luck and chance a couple months ago! and what made it so much more special and meaningful to me, was that i instantly recognised it when i saw it!?? Even though i only had a 25mm eye peice with x36 Magnification!?? it was little more than a glowing orb! lol what clinched it for me though was the 3 moons that i saw with it, they were little more than dots of light themselves, but it was there apparent angle and the minds eye line they formed straight through Jupiter, that instantly made me think "OMG that's Jupiter! it has to be!" i was so excited! Then i started using higher power and it came into view, and looked breathtakingly beautiful! It meant so much to me because it was so instinctual, almost visceral, an experience for me and after that i'm completely hooked! My only regret, of sorts, is that i waited 38 years to pursue a passion i have held for the stars n planets since primary school! I used to have long conversations with an old school friend about space, time, other life forms, what the universe all meant and where it came from etc etc etc etc...