Hi from Tenerife (Spain)

NenoVento

Hello to one and all from Tenerife (Spain)!. Since I returned to this hobbie, I've been bouncing from this forum to the Cloudy Nights one in order to get most of my information on anythig amateur astronomy related issues, and finally decided to get an account :-).

Regards,

NV

Hola NV and welcome to SGL.

I have an "Astro apartment" in Tenerife with a few telescopes at Playa de la Reina, if it's in reach of you, you would be welcome to visit when I'm there.

There is a recently formed Tenerife Astro Society <tenerifeastronomysociety@tenerifeastro>  ?

Many thanks for the warm welcome. An astro apartment in Tenerife, such a great idea :-). I'm not familiar with playa de la reina, could it rather be parque de la reina?. If so that is down the highway from where I live (El Médano). I did not know about the astro society, but then again, I'm not in facebook either...

Hi again.

I'd love to say that I'm a visual observer (quite a redundant expression that one is, isn't it?) but rather soon I succumbed to imaging, I assume, due to a compulsion to show others the amazing stuff I get to see through the eyepiece... However, I must admit that  I'm pretty bad at it because, honestly, I just don't have the time (nor the equipment and, probably, neither the brains) required. These days I'm experimenting with EAA, a decision also helped by having recently moved to a house with excellent views to the sea during the day (hurra!) but also with a 7 m high street light placed right in front (ouch!).

Now about my equipment, I have a second (probably third) hand Celestron CPC 800 GPS (the 50th anniversary carbon fiber one) and a Skywatcher 72mm ED Evostar that I've placed piggyback on the CPC until I save enough for an AZ-GTi (and in reading my choose on these last two items you can see how susceptible I am to this forum). I have to admit having too many EPs, being my favourites the Fujiyama's orthos (of which I have 5,7,12.5 and 25 mm). About cameras, for planetary imaging I have the RT GPCMOS and I was so astonished by its performance that, for DSO imaging,  I've got the RT GPCMOS0200KMA.

NV

23 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Hola NV and welcome to SGL.

I have an "Astro apartment" in Tenerife with a few telescopes at Playa de la Reina, if it's in reach of you, you would be welcome to visit when I'm there.

There is a recently formed Tenerife Astro Society <tenerifeastronomysociety@tenerifeastro>  ?

Invite me too please ?

A Warm Welcome to SGL Neno. You have made a good decision  in joining this group.
You will find great support for your Astronomy here, there are many with skills in many areas of
Astronomy's multiple sciences. 

Enjoy  your stay, and the many friends you will make here.
Ron.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about a return trip to Tenerife

Been up in the crater twice at night and it is the very best viewing I have seen anywhere I have been.

I am interested to hear of anyone who knows of a holiday home with telescope included or of where I can hire a decent mount for the travelscope I will be taking with me.

The mounts I have at home are far to heavy for taking on flights, (NEQ6 isn't exactly hand luggage).

Mainly for visual so tracking not essential , though some AP would be good too if anyone knows where I could hire  a goto/tracking mount.

Just returned after a week in Tenerife at the hotel Bahia Principe in Playa Paraiso

Couldn't believe my luck when I was upgraded to a sea view room with unrestricted views with accompanying night sky and seeing to die for.

Its times like this I wish I had a travel scope (or my Tak) however my trusty 8x40 Olympus bins were more than up to the job. 

With Sirius so high in the sky I concentrated a lot of my effort in this area and was rewarded with excellent views of M41 and the open clusters further south in Canis Major. 

Moving north to Gemini M35, 37 & 38 were easy spots, however M81 & 82 up in Ursa Major proved to much of a challenge. 

For those interested the hotel puts you onto a firm who runs astro tours up to the volcano at El Teide which I’m are assured are excellent and something I’ll be looking at when I return.

DC17589C-1629-4401-844E-04B46967F33C.jpeg

060A0FA3-CD45-4DE4-A271-D6E9000D0907.jpeg

7840668D-CA10-4711-B562-8DF8E474ABDC.jpeg

Archived