Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyvision 16 inch goto dob

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about going all in on the first try! Hitting the ground running, pulling no punches, taking no prisoners....lol

way to choose a “first dob” looks amazing! can’t wait for your first light report, and a lot of light at that!

16" dobs are GREAT! 

I know a couple of people who own one and the views they get are just amazing. 

Be prepared for spiral arms, discovering detail in planetaries at +500x, ARP's and even fainter fuzzies! 

Click here for an overview of visual impressions - press 'D' in the last row for details, DD for details AND drawing.

16 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

You WILL be impressed! 

You will also be impressed by the sheer size of it and the time it takes to set up and tear down ?

Nicos, thanks. I have to say I do have some trepidation about the sheer size and complication of setting it up and down. My fellow astro club members have told me I need not worry - I wonder why? ??

Over the next month or so I’m hoping to test it out on my dodgy London skies (and maybe a club dark sky trip) but in due course I’ll take it down to the Isle of Wight to take advantage of the nice dark skies. When I’m there, things are more relaxing so I’m hoping that the setup etc isn’t too bad. I used to be focused on planetary observing (due to London LP) but my night vision minoculars have turned me into a DSO fan. I’m hoping this dob (with and without night vision) will provide a whole new aspect and series of targets for me to observe (and take smartphone photos of ?)

I know - had dobs myself, both truss and solid tube. It can get a bit challenging at say 2am but other than that, like any other venture, effort Vs result. 

If you feel like lugging out a large dob, you get incredible views. Horses for courses and all that :)

Now that is a very fine thing indeed.

You really don’t do things by halves do you, straight in at a brilliant size and quality, bet you will love it.

As has been said, it’s heavier than a smaller one, but, the views will be wonderful,, enjoy.

10 hours ago, niallk said:

What a beaut! Congrats + enjoy!

Btw who made your mirror??

Skyvision make their mirrors in house. The key person who oversees this process is called Michel Bonnin.

Here is a link to a skyvision video and comments on their mirror making process 

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://skyvision.fr/le-guide-utilisateur/optiques/&xid=17259,15700023,15700124,15700126,15700149,15700186,15700191,15700201&usg=ALkJrhgrdEC_fgile01-1HBQaHC1VccM7g

Well it arrived today and I am smitten! ?

However, at first I thought I had made a big mistake. The pallet box it arrived it was big - bigger than I expected and when I unloaded the pallet it looked even bigger...

00E2CEA7-0BB9-4ACB-AF5B-529032625B58.thumb.jpeg.d110477dfbed7f328124382f79fd2d22.jpeg

Once the children had been put to bed I started to set it up. It took me a while since I’ve never had a dob before. But eventually I got it completed. I checked the skies and they looked rather nice and clear, so I couldnt resist a quick try.

Then I discovered I couldn’t fit it through the doorway of my study. I had to take it apart and transfer it in pieces to the kitchen where I built it again.

7B963302-F222-4743-BCA4-55CC321928D0.thumb.jpeg.7c1278fe254b0e83d5a8a6021117aa8a.jpegGiven it was a quick look and I’ve never collimated a scope before, I committed a cardinal sin and decided to just got for it with no collimation. I also didn’t both with trying the goto and just used it in manual mode which actually was rather nice. The scope movement was very smooth and it was nicely balanced.

First off was with my 17mm es 92mm and straight to m42 - I immediately knew I had something special. I didnt use a filter and had my best ever ‘normal’ views of the nebulae. Lovely extension and the trapezium looked very nice despite the lack of collimation.

So then I decided to switch to my night vision monoculars and Wow! I only went for 3 objects - m42, horsey/flame and rosette.

M42 was wondrous - best views ever for me, nebulosity everywhere but also a mottling in the fish head area which I haven’t noticed before. 

Horsey was so clear, snout obvious and the extra image scale made it my fave view as well. The dark lanes in the flame were just so great.

And then rosette just filled the fov with its wispiness.

The wheelbarrow wheels are great since I can just wheel it out (if I can fit it through the door!). I’m very pleased that  the scope just worked straight out of the box. (Although I do need to try out the goto sometime)

Here it is in action.

84044B19-9C59-48D9-A423-D79A8AFD9BA2.thumb.jpeg.a84205d8d4701c4c6f32881bd87a9692.jpeg

Archived