SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skyvision 16 inch goto dob

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hope you have a bigger door.. that canflap looks a bit small ?

Welcome to aperture fever!

PEter

I’m maxed out PEter. Part of me still thinks the 12 inch would be more appropriate. I underestimated the size. Lucky I didn’t go for the 20 inch...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Door frames are probably the Dob owners least favourite things. Lucky that you can carry the bases of ultralight designs vertically... sidestepping the issue. If you’ve got a cat, keep the mirror sealed!

Peter

I hadn’t heard of Skyvision before, so looked them up after seeing this thread. They look like absolutely beautiful telescopes and this one is no exception. Congrats Gavin, it’s giving me dob envy on a slightly too serious level!!

2 hours ago, Joves said:

I hadn’t heard of Skyvision before, so looked them up after seeing this thread. They look like absolutely beautiful telescopes and this one is no exception. Congrats Gavin, it’s giving me dob envy on a slightly too serious level!!

Good to hear from you Joves. Like you I like refractors - but I have been dabbling with mirrors recently. 

I always thought dobs were for dark skies only so living in London and having infrequent trips to dark skies put me off them. However, I was very surprised at how much this scope showed at my 18.5 sqm back garden. With normal glass eyepieces and no filters, m42 nebulosity had so much more extension with the dob compared to my 6 inch refractor.  It’s a pretty big and heavy thing though...bit annoying I can’t wheel it through doorways...

9 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Good to hear from you Joves. Like you I like refractors - but I have been dabbling with mirrors recently. 

I always thought dobs were for dark skies only so living in London and having infrequent trips to dark skies put me off them. However, I was very surprised at how much this scope showed at my 18.5 sqm back garden. With normal glass eyepieces and no filters, m42 nebulosity had so much more extension with the dob compared to my 6 inch refractor.  It’s a pretty big and heavy thing though...bit annoying I can’t wheel it through doorways...

Thanks Gav, good to hear from you too!

I’ve never actually looked through a 16 inch scope, at dark skies or otherwise, so I can only imagine the difference in views between it and even the finest quality 6 inch refractor. I’m pretty certain a large dob will round out my equipment and see me done with acquisitions for the foreseeable future, however, am not in a huge rush to press the button as I know it will see very little use for the time being.

Shame about the door situation, given those very handy looking wheely bars. I see bi-fold doors in your very near future.... :)

17 minutes ago, Joves said:

Thanks Gav, good to hear from you too!

I’ve never actually looked through a 16 inch scope, at dark skies or otherwise, so I can only imagine the difference in views between it and even the finest quality 6 inch refractor. I’m pretty certain a large dob will round out my equipment and see me done with acquisitions for the foreseeable future, however, am not in a huge rush to press the button as I know it will see very little use for the time being.

Shame about the door situation, given those very handy looking wheely bars. I see bi-fold doors in your very near future.... :)

I have young children like you (mine are 3 and 5) which does ‘impact’ on my observing opportunities ?. However just this morning my 5 year daughter asked me about her telescope to ‘see space’ and we went up to the loft to see a 72mm altair frac - I think it’s hers now ?, she even wants to go camping with me at a star party. Maybe in a few years...Next time it’s clear, I’ve promised I’ll show her the moon through it.

I have bifolds in my kitchen which is good because I can build the scope in the kitchen and then wheel it out. However I don’t think my partner would be very amused if the dob ‘lived there’ (and no doubt my darling daughters would like to have a fiddle as well). So it will be stored in the study for now broken down. I think my partner is liking Mrs Stu’s idea of storing my astro stuff outside of the house - something to think about next year....She communicated to me quite strongly yesterday that the study is not a permanent storage place ?

This is our living room currently.  I’ve a tolerant wife but it only goes so far lol I’ve moved all from the office a few days ago and it went as far as the living room. Next step is outside for some of it and inside for the likes of the Solar scope etc.  I’ve kids 6, 4 and 3 and they are very good, but best to keep the kit out of sight.

EDF2504F-6688-4E90-9D72-0DEF930DDF6C.jpeg

34 minutes ago, GavStar said:

I have young children like you (mine are 3 and 5) which does ‘impact’ on my observing opportunities ?. However just this morning my 5 year daughter asked me about her telescope to ‘see space’ and we went up to the loft to see a 72mm altair frac - I think it’s hers now ?, she even wants to go camping with me at a star party. Maybe in a few years...Next time it’s clear, I’ve promised I’ll show her the moon through it.

I have bifolds in my kitchen which is good because I can build the scope in the kitchen and then wheel it out. However I don’t think my partner would be very amused if the dob ‘lived there’ (and no doubt my darling daughters would like to have a fiddle as well). So it will be stored in the study for now broken down. I think my partner is liking Mrs Stu’s idea of storing my astro stuff outside of the house - something to think about next year....She communicated to me quite strongly yesterday that the study is not a permanent storage place ?

Mine are the same age, both boys for me, so you and I are in pretty well the same boat. My 5 year old gets very excited at the prospect of looking through the telescope, which is a good sign. If only he knew how to look and not touch! I was only saying to my wife tonight that I should get him his own little scope. Something cheap, but which actually does something. We got him this terrible little plastic thing about a year ago which does absolutely nothing whatsoever but appease his interest.

Haha... your partner doesn’t want a 16” dobsonian permanently set up in the kitchen? What’s wrong with her?? The house we are in at the moment whilst building our family home has a very handy loft, which has been taken over by myself and the telescopes. Out of sight, out of mind. The place we are building will allow wheeling of a dob directly from the garage, so perhaps when the home is complete will be the right time (both from a sensible time to spend ther money and have somewhere logical to keep it). 

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

This is our living room currently.  I’ve a tolerant wife but it only goes so far lol I’ve moved all from the office a few days ago and it went as far as the living room. Next step is outside for some of it and inside for the likes of the Solar scope etc.  I’ve kids 6, 4 and 3 and they are very good, but best to keep the kit out of sight.

EDF2504F-6688-4E90-9D72-0DEF930DDF6C.jpeg

Those parquetry floors are too nice to be covered over with astronomy equipment! 

Incidentally, I’m off to visit the tooth dr tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to it... not! :)

21 minutes ago, GavStar said:

The study has been tidied up. I think the skyvision is quite unobtrusive now. Can’t see what my partner is worried about ?Note the two refractors hiding behind it...

896840AE-8BAB-49CA-BC98-AC08F49463E1.jpeg

That’s a nice looking scope, even dismantled. Oh my, i think i am in trouble...

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

The study has been tidied up. I think the skyvision is quite unobtrusive now. Can’t see what my partner is worried about ?Note the two refractors hiding behind it...

896840AE-8BAB-49CA-BC98-AC08F49463E1.jpeg

Looks like a serious competitor for the next series of robot wars Gavin 

Flight cases are easy to hide inside cupboards and the like. @Gavstar I’d wait till they’re a bit older for starparties, took a 6yr old who went to sleep when it was cloudy and I couldn’t rouse a few hours later to show the milky way… his loss!
Lots of people I know are putting up log cabin things in their gardens, sure a big one could take the Astro stuff?!
You have to tell little one  to hold the tripod or hold their hands together or bingo they grab the scope by the eyepiece wrecking the alignment! I got the other members of the family their own (acceptable) pairs of bins, keep them off mine! Gav i’d consider putting a rug over it.. pity the rockers stick up or you could have put a board on top and called it a table! Those refractors are very subtle in comparison look almost like draught excluders (stopping those little breezes coming from under the doors).
@Joves, you could always get a bigger model and make @Gavstar jealous ;-))

PEter

Archived