Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Canp 2019

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Julian,

Don't worry about me falling over, I have done it twice since May, both times the dog tripped me up......

That dog deserves a biscuit :evil6:

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Have a safe trip.

Adrian

Pardon the pun :icon_biggrin:

• Haha 2

Hi Folks,

I was dreaming and then woke up.........

The topic we talk about most often is the Weather:

The weather forecast on the Scope Nights app...  as at Thursday 24 Oct 12:30

Friday night 25 Oct.......       Poor with heavy rain

Saturday night 26 Oct...      Partly cloudy with rain showers

Sunday night 27 Oct.....       Mostly Clear.     great!

Monday night 28 Oct.....      Mostly Clear     even better

Tuesday night 29 Oct....      Poor  Rain

Wednesday night 30 Oct... Poor. Rain

Thursday night 31 Oct.....   Mostly Clear.     Great

Friday night 1 Nov.....          Mostly Cloudy

Saturday night 2 Nov...       Overcast 

No further dates given.

So we have clear nights and poor nights for improving our whiskey tasting skills

Travel safely, 

Adrian

5 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi All just had a quick word with Lesley overnight rain has made the field wet . but it is drying quickly, Julian had just arreived on site so we will get a detailed report later ,no doubt.

Mike

This is what I was worried about with all this rain . As we got cancelled a couple of years ago because the field was flooded. Fingers crossed it will be ok. And next Thursday is when I'll be arriving, so I'll bring them clear skies with me

• Like 2

I've decided to head up Saturday morning as I've not got everything sorted and friday night is looking poor.

We've only had one event cancelled and the weather had been awful on the run up. 

Julian will probably pop on with a full appraisal of the site conditions but they're probably o.k. 

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Spoke to Lesley this afternoon.

They had sunshine this afternoon but expecting rain tonight.

Lesley believes the field will dry out fairly quickly.

Julian is on pitch 18 as there is a caravan on pitch 17 but should be leaving either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Getting things ready to pack, it was too wet to pack the car today 

All the very best.

Adrian

• Like 3

Cheers Adrian, actually been right out of it all for some time now as Mike will tell you. I have never heard of Night Scopes. Just been using BBC, ugg, and XC weather. XC shows some hope so fingers crossed.

Same to all safe journey to the camp.

Derek

Just found it. I see it is Scope Nights Astronomy Weather, an Apple application. Pity it is only Apple.

Edited by Physopto
search for app

Well I got here yesterday late morning, driving non-stop from Surrey @ 01:00. It was lovely & sunny, with just some light dew on the grass.

After setting up accommodation, i.e. tent & awnings etc, and have something to eat & a libation or 3, I was sooo knackered, I zonked out for a few hours.....

…… and was pleasantly surprised, when I came round @ 03:00, to find that the rain clouds had departed leaving a stunningly clear sky. Unfortunately, I hadn't unpacked the mounts & scopes etc., so it was just a simple eyeball of the sky, till the cold got to me & I went back for a few more hours kip.

Waking @ 09:00, the clouds have returned, as forecast, but it didn't start raining (quite heavily) till midday, but that gave me a chance for some shopping in NS, in the dry....

Currently setting up all the gear, apart from putting outside till the heavens clear...

All have a safe trip(s) & I'll see you all then...

Edited by Dr_Ju_ju
  • Like 6

Quick update on weather ------ its raining, but as Metcheck has been spot on so far, then I'd recommend those non-sissies using tents, to arrive Sunday mid morning, giving the ground time to dry out a bit....

My source of info https://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/astronomy_forecast.asp?zipcode=DG8&locationID=58742&lat=54.9&lon=-4.5  but Leslies phone app is more optimistic... 

But I'll keep you all posted 

• Like 1

You will be glad to hear I have run all catering equipment through the dishwasher, cleaned the box and stove.

Just checked the central-ness of secondary and collimated scope. Packed 90% of bag and accumulated other Astronomy related gubbins. 

I even remembered to put a towel in my bag 🙄

So all in all I am ahead of schedule. Think that means I am going to forget something 😇

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, philthy said:

As long as it's not your whiskey. 😀

I suspect that was the 90% bit, the other astro related gubbins was the crystal glass 

Edited by mapstar
  • Haha 3