NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2018

Hi Ian,

It was a great Saturday night with brilliantly clear skies, the best we had and everyone was on a high on the Sunday morning, then.....

on Sunday evening about 18:00 the wind got up, rain, wind  and by 22:00 it was blowing a gale....

I was up two or three times during the night to check that I was still anchored to the campsite.

The tent was soaking wet, I hung it up to dry in one of Lesley's sheds, cancelled going home Monday and instead went home Tuesday.

It was a memorable Star Party..... 

We had very strong winds in March 2018 on the day Dai arrived..... his tent trespassed into the field next to the site when we attempted to erect it!!!

But we will have clear skies.

All the best.

Adrian

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not long indeed. I have cleaned my EPs, Turtlewaxed the dob bearings,  most cold weather clothes packed and made a trial pitch of new tent.

I am determined to have everything packed or organised well in advance.

Just need to make the Irish stew!

15 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi All,well not long now and the weather forecast is looking up,fingers crossed,looking forward to catching up with everyone,those of you traveling stay safe,

Regards

Mike

Be good to catch up Mike and Co - looking forward to this. We are due a minimum of 3 clear nights lol :)

See you Thursday

David

I wrote an astro poem a while back which prompted me to pen this - enjoy

An Astronomers Prayer

Dear Lord may you bless our equipment today,

And please we beseech, blow the clouds all away,

The stars in the sky, the planets above,

The folks who look up and the hobby we love,

Make each shining star glow bright in the sky,

And show us the galaxies, a treat to the eye,

Each evening please give us some heavenly hope,

That come 8 o’clock we can set up our scope,

We love when you show us the meteors fly over,

But please in our lifetime, make Betelgeuse go Nova.

Amen!

Hello All, just a quick update ,i spoke with Lesley earlier today and she has told me the field is is very good condition,and it`s getting it`s haircut tomorrow!!!!

There are a few electric pitches left,so not to late to make a booking. There will be folks onsite from Saturday if anyone is making a week of it,any queries just email me,safe journey to everyone attending,

Regards

Mike

Just now, Demon Barber said:

Hello All, just a quick update ,i spoke with Lesley earlier today and she has told me the field is is very good condition,and it`s getting it`s haircut tomorrow!!!!

There are a few electric pitches left,so not to late to make a booking. There will be folks onsite from Saturday if anyone is making a week of it,any queries just email me,safe journey to everyone attending,

Regards

Mike

Excellent news Mike, really looking forward to it!

I want to cry ?... 

I had it in my head, that the party was at the end of October, & so have other commitments next week, which I can't put off. I even have the trailer already loaded with the camping gear.

Hope the weather holds for you all, wishing you clear skies & see you all in the spring...

11 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I want to cry ?... 

I had it in my head, that the party was at the end of October, & so have other commitments next week, which I can't put off. I even have the trailer already loaded with the camping gear.

Hope the weather holds for you all, wishing you clear skies & see you all in the spring...

Julian,

Sorry to hear that you will not be joining us. Look forward to seeing you at the spring event.

At least you are not as bad as some attendees who arrived at the campsite the week before the actual camp ?. They know who they are - and so do most others ?

47 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

My first time here so I hope I have at least one clear night.

Paul, if the skies play ball, as I fully expect them to, you will amazed at what a truly dark sky looks like.

In the rare event that it is cloudy, just make sure you pack some whisk(e)y to wile away the hours

15 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Paul, if the skies play ball, as I fully expect them to, you will amazed at what a truly dark sky looks like.

In the rare event that it is cloudy, just make sure you pack some whisk(e)y to wile away the hours

That's what I am hoping for Ian but if not I will bring some Bushmills to while away the hours.

15 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Not long indeed. I have cleaned my EPs, Turtlewaxed the dob bearings,  most cold weather clothes packed and made a trial pitch of new tent.

Just need to make the Irish stew!

I have even washed my woolly hat ?

13 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Julian,

Sorry to hear that you will not be joining us. Look forward to seeing you at the spring event.

At least you are not as bad as some attendees who arrived at the campsite the week before the actual camp ?. They know who they are - and so do most others ?

What's this,slate Kenny week!

On 26/09/2018 at 07:46, Uplooker said:

Oh, so it's gonna make it out of the boot of the car this year...maybe... if someone prises the bottle of Jameson's out yer hand?

13 hours ago, kenny k said:

What's this,slate Kenny week!

Oh, so it's gonna make it out of the boot of the car this year...maybe... if someone prises the bottle of Jameson's out yer hand?

Don't forget there's all the tennants to drink first before being able to get the scope out the boot.

Archived