SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Canp 2019

We had a good dose of clear skies last night. Wind had dropped so was very peacefull with just the odd owl hoot and horse munching to break the calm.

Bagged a few new Herschel objects for the first time in an age. Although clear, the transparency wasn't great so I concentrated on mostly star clusters rather than chasing galaxies.

Cass - NGCs 659, 654, 637, 436, 381, 278, 225, 136

Andromeda - NGCs 7686, 404

Pegasus - NGCs 7217, 7448

Gemini - NGCs 2371 and 2372 - pair of planetary neb needed a UHC to bring out the hourglass shape

Safe journey to everyone who's making the trip this week. Glad the car is fixed in time for you Ian 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you had a good session last night Dai.

Will pack most of the car this evening and set off after tea tomorrow. 

Off to have a drink now to calm my nerves after paying for the clutch replacement. Oh well, at least it works and I can make it up when I had originally planned.

• Like 3

Hi Ian,

I have cancelled all my appointments for Thursday morning...... camera batteries will charge overnight on Wednesday and be ready to record this wondrous event.

The weather for Wednesday is changing to GOOD.

Maybe we will be lucky and have an interesting star party.

Everybody is out looking skyward tonight, the only thing is that there is a breeze of 10mph to chill the bones.

Cheers

Adrian

45 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Does anyone on-site want me to get them anything from Tesco when I am on my way up this evening? Sensible requests only please.

I don't need anything unless they sell sleep 😂

• Haha 1

Weather today is bright and breezy and the campsite is dry 

15724368067215407652723474259272.thumb.jpg.d3df95cc9c11f01e284463db4b6cb725.jpg

Best night of the three so far as the skies were more transparent. Plenty of meteors but never caught one on both the time lapses I've done 🤔

Yet to put in a viewing report but probably managed 100+ targets over the 3 nights. Tonight is looking o.k. but the wind has picked up so may be flying the dob later!! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Does anyone on-site want me to get them anything from Tesco when I am on my way up this evening? Sensible requests only please.

Well, the wife won't get me one, so how about a 6 foot tall blond female with.... 

OK just remembered you said not enough space 🤔

😂

Derek

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

Mike et Al,

I am cooking breakfast. Obviously, only when I wake up. 

Ooo err "wake up".None of us have seen that as yet! Have to get out the cameras.  Better still give us a chance to contact the BBC, sure it will make the evening  news. 😂

Well another great night imaging. Just finished on the Rossette Nebula. Some 200, 500 and 1000 seconds. Caring from LRGBHaSiiOiii but tonight just LRHa. Have to wait and see what I've got. There have been a few muggy spells, but better than nothing. 4th night in a row. Just hoping for some more but weather may not play ball. Weather forecasts often wrong here. Had a few "moments" ie malt whiskies with good company to finish off the night. Can't get much better. 😊 

Derek

All new Herschels bagged in the last two nights. All OCLs except for those stated :-

Cygnus - 6866, 7128, 7086, 7062, 7044, 7008 PLN, 6834

Draco - 5982 GAL, 5985 GAL (couldn't get the third of the Draco triplet!)

Gemini - 2371 PLN, 2372 PLN

Taurus - 1647, looked really hard for 1817 but couldn't find it!

Persus - 1245, 1545, 1528, 1513 (looks like a snake to me), 1342, 1023 GAL, 1444

Delphinus - 6905 PLN, 7006 GLOB

Aquila - 6755, 6756, 6781 PLN

Rounded it off with a very detailed look at UGC 7490. What a pretty galaxy. Such fine detail to be teased out. Now I know why Damain spends ages looking for it :icon_jokercolor:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mr Flibble said:

Rounded it off with a very detailed look at UGC 7490. What a pretty galaxy. Such fine detail to be teased out. Now I know why Damain spends ages looking for it :icon_jokercolor:

Ha ha yes the nemesis of the last four nights. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 2

Good to read you guy's have been getting some clear skies...hope to see you all tommorow.

I'll be leaving Ferrrybridge around 1pm so hope to land around 5-6 o'clock.

Look forward to seeing everyone again and goodluck for tonite.

Kenny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1