SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Canp 2019

9 hours ago, m.tweedy said:

Dennis is checking how its going there. Our clear nights have now ended. How is it going at your place. Any new stars seen tonight (TV we mean)

Hi Michael, 

Same here, had 4 good nights but clouded out last night, some rain as well.

But today is as they say another day and you never can tell for sure.

Hope you all have had a great star camp so far. Spoke to Keith the other night before leaving home, that was a pleasent and unexpected surprise.

We had a good night in the warm room with plenty banter and a few good drams, so just waking up now. 

As I said regards to everyone. 

Derek

Morning on the campsite is a wet one today with the forecast being spot on. 

The warm room as Derek said was lively last night and set to be similar tonight with little chance of clear skies forecast.

May get chance to ho over my notes today and put an observing report together for the four clear nights we've had 

• Like 2

Hi,

Not the best of the mornings.....

Today will be the worst of the weather, but may be better tomorrow.

Think the games room will see plenty of action from lunchtime.....

Cannot complain because we have had 5 good days and 4 good nights so far.

Did somebody mention Whiskey?

To all travelling to join us today, take care as the roads may be slippy after the fine weather.

Adrian

• Like 1

Hope you're enjoying it, guys.  I should have been there, would have been my first time, but had to cancel at the last minute - my wife had a tricky eye operation last week, can't drive, lift etc. (not even the ironing board!) so I'm on call 😧  Maybe next time.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just for Ian as he keeps saying he never sees anything I image.

So here is a straight download without any processing at all. 1000 seconds Ha from 30th October at 0330 approximately. Weather was just closing in so last image of the night.

Taken on QSI 683 wsg8, 85mm Tak BabyQ

Derek

RosetteHa.thumb.jpg.b6e211faefb12ed53783c609e3491cce.jpg Mounted on 10 Micron GM 1000hps and no guiding, Astrodon filter.

• Like 13

On 31/10/2019 at 09:54, Mr Flibble said:

All new Herschels bagged in the last two nights. All OCLs except for those stated :-

Cygnus - 6866, 7128, 7086, 7062, 7044, 7008 PLN, 6834

Draco - 5982 GAL, 5985 GAL (couldn't get the third of the Draco triplet!)

Gemini - 2371 PLN, 2372 PLN

Taurus - 1647, looked really hard for 1817 but couldn't find it!

Persus - 1245, 1545, 1528, 1513 (looks like a snake to me), 1342, 1023 GAL, 1444

Delphinus - 6905 PLN, 7006 GLOB

Aquila - 6755, 6756, 6781 PLN

Rounded it off with a very detailed look at UGC 7490. What a pretty galaxy. Such fine detail to be teased out. Now I know why Damain spends ages looking for it :icon_jokercolor:

You're certainly racking up those Herschels!

You might actually have seen NGC 1817, though not recognised it. You may have been looking for something a bit more 'clustery'.

I observed it almost exactly six years ago (4/11/2013). Here are my notes: 'Boring cluster. Some of the brighter stars make a NW-SE chain at the W end of the cluster. Otherwise it is a loose scattering of faint stars not well separated from the background. A slightly brighter pair lies near the middle.'

It doesn't stand out at all well apart from the brighter chain, and even then, that's not *that* obvious. Of course in those heady days, I really didn't know just how boring clusters could be. That was before I started observing the Dolidze clusters. Don't be tempted to go for those. It feels like punishment!

• Like 1

On 26/10/2019 at 12:48, Uplooker said:

May not make it up on Wed evening - clutch has just gone on the car 🙄

Unlikely to get it back Wednesday, more like Thursday🤬

So! It's your fault! My clutch went yesterday - obviously caught some bad ju-ju from yours!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really glad you chaps have had some clear skies this time. Circumstances conspired against me coming up this time. Perhaps a blessing in disguise - my clutch may have failed up there somewhere, towing a caravan, rather than on my drive!

Hoping everything is fixed for Kelling Heath at the end of this month.

• Like 3

Hi Julian,

Trust you got home safely with your load of gear.

It rained at times during the night.... got up at 03:30 am this morning and we had clear skies...I looked at Orion in all it's glory...went back to bed after 15 minutes or so.

Then up again at 05:20 am and it was clouded over except for one star in the North.

The campsite was very soggy first thing, a number were up to watch the rugby watch and then group photo.

I went to lunch at the Harbour Inn at Garlieston  with Hadyn and Christina,  excellent meal and then down to the  Steam Packet in the Isle of Whithorn for afternoon coffee. The weather was fine, breezeless and perfectly clear.

Tonight here is crystal clear sky at the moment with the Moon out and showing beautifully in a dark sky. The forecast is for clear skies for the next 6 to 9 hours, Galloway weather is totally unpredictable.

Anyway, it was great to meet you again, trust you have some great images to process when you get a chance.

All the Best,

Adrian

Arrived home just after 7 so made really good time.

Another great star camp over for me but hoping those still there get clear skies for tonight. Moon was on the way up as I crossed the Dales during a brief sighting between the clouds. 

Good laughs and great to meet new and old faces again. 

Thanks to Mike and Lesley/Ralph for a great anniversary bash. 

Here's to next spring. 

• Like 6

Well it never rains but often pours. Dawn slipped in the shower and broke a finger.  Just returned from getting it xrayed I Stranraer.  Jim says it is foggy all the way back. Had a look out and I am set up for later on if it is clear enough. As Damian says moon visible but will be gone shortly 😊

Glad you got back safe and sound Damian, been great to see you again. 

Derek

• Thanks 1

Back home for 6:30...my first Galloway and plenty more to come I hope .

I can see why it's been running so long,great site ,wonderful setting and fantastic group of people...made some new friends (I think!)...and good to catch up with old ones.

Roll on spring to see you all again...many thanks. Calv. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Damian,

Had not realised that you would be gone by the time I got back. Yes, we saw mist forming in the dips on the way back from the Isle of Whithorn earlier, ie. the period just as dusk was descending.

There is a mist forming at low level now in to which the Moon is slipping, we can see the Milky Way and a number of constellations, but dew is forming at an alarming rate.

Going to watch the Qualifying Round of the American Grand Prix,  games room is now in use.....

Adrian

9 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Damian,

Had not realised that you would be gone by the time I got back. 

Sorry I missed you Adrian but will be back in the spring.

52 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Dawn slipped in the shower and broke a finger.  Just returned from getting it xrayed I Stranraer.  

Sorry to hear it was a break, Dawn showed me the damage when I said my goodbyes earlier. Hope it heals quickly. 

23 minutes ago, estwing said:

Back home for 6:30...my first Galloway and plenty more to come I hope .

I can see why it's been running so long,great site ,wonderful setting and fantastic group of people...made some new friends (I think!)...and good to catch up with old ones.

Roll on spring to see you all again...many thanks. Calv. 

Better journey back by the sounds of it Calv. Glad you enjoyed it, shame the skies didn't play ball at the end of the week.

• Like 1

Hi Folks 

No stars at present as it has clouded over 

There is a very heavy dew.

On one dob it looks like someone has washed the primary mirror and forgot to dry it!!!!!

i am packing in for the night as I need to get away early in the morning 

Trust everyone who came enjoyed themselves 

cheers

Adrian

• Like 3

Yes a very enjoyable if but brief visit from me but happy with the seeing on Wednesday. I had to head back earlier than I would have liked but thats life . Seems everyone has had a good time despite the weather,  but thats Galloway for you!!  Safe journey home to all and perhaps see you again the spring.  Cheers to The Demon Barber once again. 

• Like 2

We had a great time at Drumroamin, Wednesday was clear, the rest was poor visually. As usual we had a great time , many casualties, Lee was our star, never seen a lap dancer at Drumroamin.  So many great folks to meet up with. It's not all about stragazing, but if you get that, it's a bonus.  Friday was incredible. Lesley put on a feast bettered by none. We had a video presentation by the Astronomer Royal, recognising Mike, bet you wont beat this. 

It was emotional, incredible, and the best session  I have personally seen. Thanks must go to Steve for this. I hope you guys had a great time in Coll, and a personal thanks to The Astronomer Royal for setting this up. What a great time, Damian, Lee, Ian, Derren ;) Kelvin, Steven, Adrian, Haydn and Christine, Martyn, Pete , Les, Chris, Phil, Jim and Dawn who broke a finger. THE THINGS we do for stargazing.. If I forgot you , I was probably drunk.

Get well soon Dawn xxx

David x

Edited by wackyscot
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ASTROSTUART said:

Cheers mate forgot Stuart, Alan and Colin and a bottle of Winters Gold ! 

I did, sorry mate - Winters went a down a treat, as did your company, sorry buddy, I try my best, but occasionally forget someone like Colin and Alan. We hammered the Winters Gold when you left. I really should have remembered you xxx

Edited by wackyscot

6 hours ago, wackyscot said:

As usual we had a great time , many casualties, Lee was our star, never seen a lap dancer at Drumroamin. 

More the Maoam break dance. 

MAOAM

That Whiskey is slippery stuff on the floor and stings when splashed in the eye . Just glad no one was injured. 

• Haha 3