Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scopes - Loved & lost!

The scopes that I have now are the best that I've ever owned. Any regrets about those that have moved on would be to do more with nostalgia than missing a performance edge. I've owned 35+ scopes over the years but I can't recall all of them to be honest. The "standouts" that are no longer with me would include:

- TAL 100RT

- Vixen SP102M

- Intes MN61

- Skywatcher ED100

- Celestron C8 Plus

- Skywatcher 200P dobsonian

My current scopes are a bit better than the above, so no real regrets.

It's all downhill from here though ! :rolleyes2:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stu said:

OMC200 - it had a collimation problem which I only really fixed just before I sold it. Would love to try another

Me likewise. :crybaby2: and hopefully get my hands on another.

10 hours ago, Rob said:

What have you owned, and now really miss

It's all in my signature, but to be honest, at this moment in time, I don't regret or miss anything I've sold except the Telrad's, all two of them?

Thing is though, I cant use the Telrad  without having to wear my glasses, thats the only reason!!

Who knows, still might buy another one?  I just like the principle of the thing.

I realy miss my military tank site, was a 70 mm job with a magnification of 7 and gave pinpoint stars with real colour with zero CA or any other distortions ,  was a heavy lump but due to its correct image 90 degree view you could just place it on your lap and explore.

There is certainly nothing on the market today that could match it. short of the cost of a high end luxury car but even then I doubt anyone makes this sort of scope.

I was mad for letting it go but again it was 50 years ago and teenagers suddenly have other priorities.

Alan

One scope i owned and sold was the  Antares 105 F15 "spirit of Unitron", this had a clamshell chip in the flint lens but was not noticeable under the night sky, it showed no false colour and stars were pin point sharp, it was a truly beautiful achro telescope, with "Vixen sourced" lens group.........but it was stupidly long, and very difficult to use on the mount, i had an HEQ5 at the time and even this struggled to keep it under control

antares 105.jpg

I miss my SW120ED. Sold it to fund more gear, of course... keeping my eyes out for an EON 120 though. ? The SW had great optics, I didn't realize until I tried better optics that turned out to be better but not worlds better than the SW. Yeah.. I miss it.

4 minutes ago, MNJay said:

I miss my SW120ED. Sold it to fund more gear, of course... keeping my eyes out for an EON 120 though. ? The SW had great optics, I didn't realize until I tried better optics that turned out to be better but not worlds better than the SW. Yeah.. I miss it.

I agree. Fortunately I kept my SWED120 when I got my Tak FC100DL and TMB/LZOS 130 F/9.2 triplet. Having those two superb scopes has put my SWED120 into context, and it's come out with great credit :icon_biggrin:

40 minutes ago, MNJay said:

ENS has a "mint" 120 Equinox for sale. The best SW doublet all round. 

3 minutes ago, 25585 said:

ENS has a "mint" 120 Equinox for sale. The best SW doublet all round. 

Oh man, didn't think you'd be able to find these anymore. Unfortunately I think it's a little too spendy when I consider shipping to the US and the conversion from GBP ($1400 + $100-200). And then that's hoping I wouldn't get hit with any customs duty fees. As much as I'd like an Equinox 120, I think I'll have to pass. Thanks for the heads-up though!

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Of all the scopes I’ve owned the one that I miss least was a 120 Equinox. For some reason never really got on with it so got rid of it after a few  monrhs.

Have you worked out what you did not get on with John ?

I  have in the past had an old second hand Celestron 8 inch Dob, a Celestron 127 SLT, and a Celestron Powerseeker 127 eq.

The Celestron Dob I don't miss because I have an Orion 8 inch Dob now, which is better quality than my old Dob.

I couldn't get rid of the Powerseeker fast enough.

The 127 SLT I do miss, because I was an idiot to get rid of it, and it was on a Go To mount.

8 hours ago, xvariablestarx said:

I  have in the past had an old second hand Celestron 8 inch Dob, a Celestron 127 SLT, and a Celestron Powerseeker 127 eq.

The Celestron Dob I don't miss because I have an Orion 8 inch Dob now, which is better quality than my old Dob.

I couldn't get rid of the Powerseeker fast enough.

The 127 SLT I do miss, because I was an idiot to get rid of it, and it was on a Go To mount.

Having recently acquired a Skymax 127, which is effectively the same scope as the 127 SLT, I can understand why you miss it. I’ve been very impressed with the images the little thing shows. On the AZ-GTi Mount, it’s about as portable as I could imagine a 5 inch scope to be, even if only showing a somewhat limited FOV. The good thing about this being the only scope you regret parting with is that they are available in abundance, both in the new and used market, typically maintain their collimation if properly cared for and can be bought for a steal, comparatively.

14 hours ago, johninderby said:

Think it was a bit too big and too small at the same time if that makes sense and had other scopes that I preferred. If I had been into imaging would have kept it though.

I agree with that as I had a fling with a 120 ED and just did not get on with it, now happy with my good old 127 skymax 

Of the 9 scopes which I've acquired during my lifetime, I presently have five. The only one I sort of miss, was my Sears 6339-A ( Royal Astro ) refractor.  I gave it to a good friend recently, so I can visit it If I like.  :smiley:

Archived