Narrowband

Scopes - Loved & lost!

Reading through various posts got me think of kit I once own, and in many case's really miss now.

So... What have you owned, and now really miss & why?.

Rob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great question!

I was scrolling through my huge photo picture gallery the other day on my phone and came across most of the astro gear I've owned and sold through either lack of use, or to fund other projects.

I think if it was to be just one thing (and there's been a few) it would be a little mint condition EQ3/2 I bought as part of a second hand bundle... Just loved the engineering and how it looked in bright white more as an ornament than a tool... There's been a few OTA's in the past as well including a renervated 150 frac which I even had sprayed white by a mate in a car paint shop! that might be useful to have back (now I have a garden)

I won't list it all but - I never realised I had owned so much ?

A&M  80mm Triplet Super APO

Why oh why did I ever sell it. Build quality that a TAK would envy and the best 80mm optics I’ve ever looked through. No wonder they were called the Ferrari of telescopes.

John

05EB4B9A-7DF8-44CA-80DE-69F58BBC8800.jpeg

Sorry Guys.. I know this may double as a painful thread!.. sure is for me

Here are mine, not in any order... loved them all.

1. 1 x Orion Optics SPX 8" F6 Newt (incredible mirror)
  2. 1 x Black Tube Celestron C8 (star bright coatings)
  3. 1 x WO66 ED
  4. 1 x Meade EXT 125 Research Grade Optics (White Tube with machined rear plate offering SCT back)
  5. 1 x WO66 Petzval (surprisingly good)

I will never understand what possessed me to sell my wonderful Astro Systems 8.5” F5 on an extremely well made pedestal alt-az mount.  Real old school superbly made scope.

I suppose it was one of those “it seemed like a good idea at the time” moments......  ?

Ed.

I frequently regret having sold my early version 6in f8 Astro Physics Refractor, although it did suffer from a significant amount of false colour.

I sold it 5 years ago to fund someting more portable in the form of a Celestron 9.25 CPC, as I was planning to move house at the time, but did not end up moving after all.

John

25 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

No regrets about scopes. Vixen Super Polaris motorised mount , why oh why did i sell it ?

Nick.

Hang on Nick - I distinctly remember reading your lament of a 6" f/8 newt... :icon_scratch: :icon_biggrin:

Oh yep, forgot that one . Will get it back one day . Oh why oh why , sell in haste , regret at leisure !

The mount went to a very nice chap who'd previously bought a Vixen 102m, he was well pleased with the set up,Nick.

I must be sad or greedy or something but I managed to keep hold of 99% of astro gear ive brought and owned in the last 40 years , my loft is full of stuff in semi retirement, I cannot bear to let anything go, I get attatched ,thay all hold memorys ,I guess im a telescope horder. charl.

OMC200 - it had a collimation problem which I only really fixed just before I sold it. Would love to try another

C8 Edge - Lovely, compact and very capable scope

I miss a whole range of the smaller fracs I’ve had, but the unmentionable scope I have now replaces all but the smallest really, and gives better views. TV85 is a lovely scope for instance, I would have one just for the sake of it if money were no object.

My AZ-EQ6 Mount is something else I miss, on a permanent pier in the garden.

EDIT Two more, Sumerian 16” and Orion Optics VX10L 1/10th wave. V nice.

19 minutes ago, iPeace said:

No regrets yet - the scopes which have moved on are happier now than they were with me.

:happy11:

Ditto

Though I can see myself getting another Starwave  4" f11 sometime. I don't need one, but it was so good to look at, as well as through.:happy11:

I don't really regret selling anything either. I would have liked to keep my C8 Edge - such a lovely scope, but completely impractical for a flat with limited storage space. Moving to a much lighter set up also meant also getting rid of my Delos and Ethos, beautiful EPs, but I'm just as happy with what I have now. 

My 8 inch F7.5 Fullerscope Newtonian with grade A mirrors. Should have kept it, but moving house to a smaller residence made a SCT more practical.

Change of mount to a Dobsonian was all it needed. ? 

24 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Sold my Starwave 102mm f11 ‘frac to someone in this thead, and do kind of miss it. So much so I’m thinking I might get the new red version out of it! Hehe! ;) 

Love mine... it's the pearlescent white! but I have to agree the Red looks stunning! Do it!! ? 

I haven't actually sold any astro gear yet, but am now considering selling some gear to fund a new purchase which will hopefully get more use. Unfortunately many of the items on my "cull" list are scopes which others appear to have regretted selling. This thread has just made my job a whole lot more difficult! ?

Actually I did sell a 6" F8 newt over 30 years ago, I have fond memories....but I don't miss it!

3 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Tal 100rs, great scope and sold it as i thought i had finished with it

Vixen 80 custom on AZ mount, so should have kept it

Sorry Jules I am really enjoying having it, you do know there was one for sale last week dont you.

I sometimes regret selling my home-made 6" F/8 Newtonian, especially in its later incarnation. Having said that, the C8 beats it for light grasp and the 80mm APM beats it on wide-field, so I don't really miss it. I do regret selling the TMB Paragon 40mm EP. It didn't get much use after I got my wonderful Nagler 31T5, so I sold it. However, the 31T5 can be a bit of a faff in terms of eye placement, so inexperienced observers find it hard to use at times. The Paragon was the most comfy EP imaginable. Besides, sometimes you just want to get the maximum FOV of your scope. I have since got a Vixen LVW 42 mm, but that is not quite as comfy as the Paragon.

Archived