Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

20" Dob roll out from the obsy (ok, "shed")

Iainp

Hi all I just took possession of my biggest scope ever, a 20" Dob. We had to cut off the front of the large shed and fit hinges so the shed now has a double door. Then we fitted permanent planks inside and a moveable ramp on the outside. There's a large mirror at the back so you can check the wheels Stay on the ramp during roll out. Short video of its inaugural roll out here! Iain 

http://fouragesofsand.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/the-half-metre-dobsonian-telescope-see.html

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a beautiful scope Iain, you must be well chuffed!

More a grab and tug than grab and go but very quick to set up for such a large scope with your shed mods.

Mind your back pulling it out and don't fall off the ladder!! ;);) 

Enjoy! Looking forward to the reports.

That looks a great bit of kit and I bet the views will be breath taking. As others have said, take care on those steps. I don't personally feel the steps are the problem but more so the ground. May pay to pave the area at some point. Would probably make carting the dob out easier also.

"Dob Royalty": I like it! First report: moon stunning, like being there, saw the rille in Alpine Valley very clearly, Eskimo Nebula: not immediately more impressive than through 16" but 1/4 moon was nearby so not a fair test. And pink colour in M42! Wasn't expecting that , as never saw anything but green/blue  with the 16" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 17:39, Iainp said:

"Dob Royalty": I like it! First report: moon stunning, like being there, saw the rille in Alpine Valley very clearly, Eskimo Nebula: not immediately more impressive than through 16" but 1/4 moon was nearby so not a fair test. And pink colour in M42! Wasn't expecting that , as never saw anything but green/blue  with the 16" 

Beautiful scope Ian, congratulations !

I have seen the Cats Eye Nebula through a beast that size, at Kelling Heath, and it was such a vivid blue, I was shocked. It did not look half so good in my 12" Dob...:happy11:

Thanks mate, funnily enough i just posted over on Cloudy nights forum  about observing the Eskimo Nebula last night. The sketch is here, superimposed on one I did a couple of years ago with the 16". The difference is very obvious!

eskimo nebula20.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate. There have only been 2 clear nights since buying it, so not much rolling out has been done since then... 

On 28/03/2018 at 00:28, niallk said:

Like the extra door created on the shed!

It works like a dream, though I was seriously worried when the friend who did it went at it with a hand held saw! Here it is part way through. The more he chopped, the more the front section fell apart. Luckily he knew what he was doing:

shed.JPG

shed2.jpg

Thanks. I'll let you know about the views when I get a decent night! First impression is that on some objects it's a massive step up from my previous 16" scope, and on other objects it's not so great a difference.  I suspect that's due to my not great skies; galaxies and other faint fuzzies are going to be tough even with the big aperture.

Price: it's a high spec David Lukehurst model (1/10 mirror etc) so doesn't come cheap at around £6100 ($8600). These are handmade and superb pieces of kit, and it's the "ultra-portable" (ha!) version, which adds to the price too. (website link below). I got it second hand for not much more than half that, so I'm very happy! 

http://www.dobsonians.co.uk/index.html 

Archived