NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First car in space today!

Sunshine

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness me, wonderful stuff space X, what dreams are made of.

I think I just saw the future of space in real time, private companies pushing space exploration.

The two boosters returning as a pair was the icing on the cake, I forgive the car now Mr Musk! 

I watched a lot of Apollo launches and others since, my oh my, this was something else, really was.

Can you tell I am excited by it?

7 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

So are you suggesting that it did not happen as shown?

No, I'm suggesting that the landing shown was either not from today or CGI... the take off happened... I saw that live.

17 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Don’t tell me, but are you one of the “flat earthers” too.... :)

HELL NO..... I'm saying that the landing was not from today or CGI... the take off definitely happened.. I saw it live...

23 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Hmmmm, That was the telemetry of the main rocket in space......!

Maybe that's it... that would make sense.... cheers.... I was thinking of the main rocket landing..... 

Whoops, red face...

10 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I'm sure that was either old footage or CGI... had a CGIish look to it.... landed and still showed speed at 23,363km/h and 179km altitude.

The CGI version was remarkably similar, but far less detail in it.

They did screw up and double post the footage from the same booster, you cold ocassionally see the other one firing ahead of it.

I've seen two photos taken of the landing by non-spacex people.

But where is the core?

Just looked here https://www.n2yo.com/?s=43205

The altitude is rising all the time, as the car moves away from earth...when I last looked it was 4000km. Assuming the car has a length of 4.5m, then currently its angle subtended is 0.1 arc sec. You would need a very large 40 inch telescope to resolve this.....and as its getting further away all the time, its only going to get smaller :hmh:

Very much enjoyed the launch. Seeing the two boosters land together was an amazing sight, I couldn’t see any CGI! I guess ask the thousands of spectators who saw the landing, perhaps they were all in on the conspiracy?!

Not sure why some people have a lot of negative views of Elon Musk? As other people have mentioned he could have just used a concrete block or iron so why not use his own car? The point of it is to test simply test the pay load capabilities.

This guy is revolutionising space transport. Yes, he is a business man but at least he has a bold vision for humanity. (Tesla, Hyper-Loop, Mars / Moon landings)
Comparing this to NASA’s long overdue SLS rocket system makes all the issues with Governments and politics all too obvious.
A bloated $1 billion rocket which gets thrown away after every use or have x2 $90 million-dollar Falcon Heavy launches to help match the payload capacity.

Anyway, end of rant I guess you can never please everyone…:icon_biggrin:

31 minutes ago, Droogie 2001 said:

This guy is revolutionising space transport. Yes, he is a business man but at least he has a bold vision for humanity. (Tesla, Hyper-Loop, Mars / Moon landings)
Comparing this to NASA’s long overdue SLS rocket system makes all the issues with Governments and politics all too obvious.
A bloated $1 billion rocket which gets thrown away after every use or have x2 $90 million-dollar Falcon Heavy launches to help match the payload capacity.

I don't think we should be dissing anyone who is involved in developing these amazing machines whether it is the SLS or Falcon Heavy. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing something which genuinely compares with Saturn V taking off.

That said..... what Space X are doing is incredible, and clearly the business model moving forward must head in the direction of reuseable rocket boosters just as Falcon Heavy demonstrated. This is what the Space Shuttle should have been all along, but I doubt the technology available back then would have been capable of this sort of thing. Imagine if they strapped another two boosters on to make a cross formation! Nothing stopping them I guess.

The other thought is that this method of automated vertical rocket landing must surely have relevance for landings (and take offs!) on other planets and asteroids in future.

Very exciting stuff!

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The CGI version was remarkably similar, but far less detail in it.

They did screw up and double post the footage from the same booster, you cold ocassionally see the other one firing ahead of it.

I've seen two photos taken of the landing by non-spacex people.

But where is the core?

In the Ocean Neil, it was unable to land on the barge due to low fuel levels.
Work in progress.......but they did it with the boosters, they will do it with the core.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I don't think we should be dissing anyone who is involved in developing these amazing machines whether it is the SLS or Falcon Heavy. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing something which genuinely compares with Saturn V taking off.

That said..... what Space X are doing is incredible, and clearly the business model moving forward must head in the direction of reuseable rocket boosters just as Falcon Heavy demonstrated. This is what the Space Shuttle should have been all along, but I doubt the technology available back then would have been capable of this sort of thing. Imagine if they strapped another two boosters on to make a cross formation! Nothing stopping them I guess.

The other thought is that this method of automated vertical rocket landing must surely have relevance for landings (and take offs!) on other planets and asteroids in future.

Very exciting stuff!

Stu, oh yes, spot on observation.

Very exciting stuff if you are a space nerd like me, but not if you are not, Mrs W comment was, 'that's nice'

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The irony of that testosterone-fuelled room on the anniversary of women's suffrage wasn't lost on me...

BUT it is a woman who runs the company ? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Shotwell She is a rocket scientist.  I think she needs to get a higher profile!!!

It was amazing to watch - poetry in motion.

Helen

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ahem! Apollo LEM?

It's the standard way of landing probes on bodies with decent gravity and without an atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Very exciting stuff!

This is what I had been thinking too, would be awesome! We've not had anything to compare to the Saturn V since the end of the Skylab project.

These are (Hopefully) exiting times. We also have Bezos's Blue Horizon, and just over the horizon there is our (UK & ESA) Skylon with its SABRE engines, with the possibility of the "holy grail" fully reusable SSTO launch vehicle. Not as much payload as the Falcon, but possibly cheaper.

Have to say I really enjoyed watching the FH launch yesterday. My dad was stunned watching the boosters landing back at the Cape. I have seen SpaceX do this a few times before but having 2 landing side by side took it to the next level. It is a shame they were unable to land the 3rd booster.

If SpaceX ever thought about expanding over to this side of the pond, I would be in there applying for jobs straight away.

Archived