Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First car in space today!

Sunshine

14 hours ago, broom said:

Amazing to watch. Seeing the two rocket boosters landing simultaneously was just phenomenal. I watched it with my 7 year old daughter who plans on telling her story in school tomorrow. Any news on whether the 3rd booster has landed?

P.S My daughter criticised the fact that there appeared to be very few women there. She has a point I think....

One hopes that the (apparent) "uncertainty", about the third one, is now a bit more certain? :p

I understand your daughter's feelings! In many fields, the proportion of *Women in Science* 
has not changed since the 70's? At least re. the UK. But there have always been a significant
number of Italian... Greek... women? Girls from less *affluent*, even "patriachical" countries! ;)

Perhaps women like the challenge! But I sense it has something to do with lack of recognition
for STEM subjects here? The relatively poor salaries of scientists? The domination of (privately)
schooled Oxbridge "Arts" graduates (also men) in all areas of public life (the media notably! :o

Don't mind me. Gave up being (an unwelcome) "feminist"? Still a closet "Wolfie Smith" tho' :D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SimonS said:

I have seen SpaceX do this a few times before but having 2 landing side by side took it to the next level.

I couldn't quite believe they landed at exactly the same time! That implies amazing control of the descent. I was expecting a bit of a delay between them due to small variances in conditions as they descended, but no!

39 minutes ago, Charic said:

Just catching up on this story!  I do like the 1st car in space theory, whereas the moon buggy was carried/conveyed to the Moon.  It would appear that the TESLA really is in space,  supposedly on a one way trip to Mars!

No the car is not on its way to mars, it is just orbiting the sun for the next 10 billion years.... :) so has been stated by Elon Musk anyway

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I couldn't quite believe they landed at exactly the same time! That implies amazing control of the descent. I was expecting a bit of a delay between them due to small variances in conditions as they descended, but no!

According to Mr Musk in the after launch interview they weren't intentionally syncronised as they were radar controlled and the radars could interfere with each other if they were exactly synced.

Dave

The CGI nicely shows the answer to a previous question from @SilverAstro about how the boosters get back to Cape Canaveral. Michael had already answered this but the CGI nicely confirms it.

The double landing is uncannily like the real thing, just less exciting :) 

2 hours ago, Macavity said:

One hopes that the (apparent) "uncertainty", about the third one, is now a bit more certain? :p

I understand your daughter's feelings! In many fields, the proportion of *Women in Science* 
has not changed since the 70's? At least re. the UK. But there have always been a significant
number of Italian... Greek... women? Girls from less *affluent*, even "patriachical" countries! ;)

Perhaps women like the challenge! But I sense it has something to do with lack of recognition
for STEM subjects here? The relatively poor salaries of scientists? The domination of (privately)
schooled Oxbridge "Arts" graduates (also men) in all areas of public life (the media notably! :o

Don't mind me. Gave up being (an unwelcome) "feminist"? Still a closet "Wolfie Smith" tho' :D

Apparently the third booster missed its platform and landed in the sea.(I think)

Mick.

Couldn't resist doing a bit of an Avatar homage to this achievement. It's still making me grin when I think about it...... car in space, ha!

Watching an interview with Elon, the thing that seemed to make him chuckle the most was the addition of a mini Hotwheels Telsa on the dashboard complete with mini astronaut....plus the thought of what aliens would make of it all if they found it in millions of years :grin:

Some lucky alien is gonna think he's won the intergalactic lottery when he passes by in his spaceship and finds that vintage Tesla next to Mars in a billion years time. It'll easily make a gazzillion space credits at Dark Star Car Auctions lol.

3 hours ago, Lockie said:

Couldn't resist doing a bit of an Avatar homage to this achievement.

Aww man, that has to be the greatest avatar i've seen anywhere! and the fact that it's not some photoshop deal but the real thing makes it gold! i wish i'd have thought of it first...jealous!

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Aww man, that has to be the greatest avatar i've seen anywhere! and the fact that it's not some photoshop deal but the real thing makes it gold! i wish i'd have thought of it first...jealous!

I know! I'm surprised I'm first, but maybe I'm not? There's plenty of slightly different angled ones for you to choose from still, you know you want to ;) 

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You can just imagine an examination question some alien university.

"Describe the Voyager and the Tesla space probes and what their differences tell us about the two species, cultures and civilisations that launched them into space."

That's an interesting thought. One obviously on a voyage of discovery, the other just out for a drive :)

I wonder what the density of asteroids is in the asteroid belt, star wars comes to mind with the millennium falcon dodging asteroids all colliding with each other, definitely not like that but it begs the question, what are the odds the car will be atomized by an asteroid  traveling at tens of thousands Kmh?

4 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I wonder what the density of asteroids is in the asteroid belt, star wars comes to mind with the millennium falcon dodging asteroids all colliding with each other, definitely not like that but it begs the question, what are the odds the car will be atomized by an asteroid  traveling at tens of thousands Kmh?

I imagine that if the car joins the main belt it will have exactly the same orbital velocity as all main belt asteroids at the distance from the Sun. So most encounters will be relatively low velocity??

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:
8 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

OMG what if it knocks an asteroid out of orbit and it comes to annihilate us ? that'll wipe the smile of Elons face :grin:

Dave

Archived