SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

after waiting months for a sh 1.25” clicklock to turn up in the classifieds, I gave in and bought a new one. It’s very nice. Expensive, but nice. It has 2 long pins that are pressed in against the ep barrel clamping it in place and forcing it parallel to the focuser bore with a 3 point contact- much like the Glatter Parallizer adapter which is also very nice. I like that it has no rubber grippy bits too.

Mark

022F2DB2-4640-4974-9404-CD8536F9827A.thumb.jpeg.bd31d81aaa275f57a275fdbedfc6a1d5.jpeg

55C29B66-DE32-482E-8DF0-8EB6092A9F9F.thumb.jpeg.2e7692087e6e81c773ed1a084bcf80e5.jpeg

• Like 13

Having read about this Moon atlas on this forum and discovering that it shows the exact view as you would see through the telescope, be it refractor with star diagonal or reflector, without the mental gymnastics, I ordered a copy from FLO and it arrived today.  The detail is good and the pages being laminated makes the atlas perfect for outside use without damage.  Very impressed and I know I am going to love using this one.

IMG_2907.JPG

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

Having read about this Moon atlas on this forum and discovering that it shows the exact view as you would see through the telescope, be it refractor with star diagonal or reflector, without the mental gymnastics, I ordered a copy from FLO and it arrived today.  The detail is good and the pages being laminated makes the atlas perfect for outside use without damage.  Very impressed and I know I am going to love using this one.

IMG_2907.JPG

Hello Steve. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of these. 
Reviews seem very positive. 
Trust all is well with you. 
Regards. John 

Yet another delivery (FLO is doing well out of me this month!): an Oklop bag "for medium mounts" which will hold my AZ GTiX with all its accessories, my little power station and numerous other bits and pieces. Everything fits in there like a glove!

IMG_20230406_114528.thumb.jpg.bb4d9f006d4e633316cc06cb444f7ae6.jpg

IMG_20230406_114602.thumb.jpg.46eadef47315e481795fb1433137b46e.jpg

• Like 9

The Amazon man arrived and bought this very interesting SVBony 3-8mm zoom . This EP got a very good review  by AVT Astro  so I’m expecting good things … if we get a few clear nights . Reasuringly weighty too . 

IMG_0275.jpeg

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 14

On 21/02/2023 at 15:06, saac said:

Ok, so technically the postman didn't bring this but it is astro related - it will keep me warm when observing!  Belated birthday present from my wonderful wife :)  

Can't drink on a school night so I'll look forward to being properly introduced to it at the weekend - a port wood reserve, it looks thoroughly delightful :) 

Jim 

The Dalmore.jpg

Looks very tasty!

Thanks a lot! 

Haven't had nay're a drop for almost two months now.

SWMBO is very pleased with me, except for the dry cracked lips!

• Like 1

With Venus riding high I think there has been a run on #80A filters (at least Baader 2" ones and i want a Baader 2" so it can go in front of my BV).

Here i'm dipping my toe in the water with a #47 Violet in a 1.25". though quite breezy today there is the possibility for an early twilight go at Venus today and again tomorrow according to CO.

IMG_3691.jpeg.df4579d14facecc4e49f7078c4ab909d.jpeg

• Like 6

Some setting circles for the Dob.  One for the top board and one for the bottom of I so decide to go down that route.

PXL_20230406_142615116.thumb.jpg.0efd0dc2e0d200b7ea9e69c90319b8c7.jpg

Easy enough to fit the top one.  So be interesting to see how it goes.  There is also some setting circles for the az5 since there was space on the poster.

PXL_20230406_155236523.thumb.jpg.25879afe31c0241bb4aa1c6f58d7bb56.jpg

It's supposed to be hard wearing and water proof.  Not sure how it will last as I can scrape it with a nail and a bit of effort.  Should be good for a test.

• Like 11

~

Mfd. by Pentax from 1991 till 2004, the FA 50mm f/1.7 is a highly rated lens from that era, and was delivered to me from KEH, a popular used camera gear seller in the U.S.

IMGP4439.JPG.97c0a6b217ff99a96308cc1f133b3fa8.JPG

I will add this to my Pentax F 17-28 & FA 135 for a three-lens kit with my wife's former backup K-50 camera, which I took over after she got something else.

IMGP4448-Copy.JPG.9367b64643f8f8c37c71ba4a3ad55334.JPG

Edited by Nakedgun
  • Like 4

The postman hasn't brought any astro related kit for a long time now, and I doubt he ever will.

I'm done wasting my money on kit that I can't use because of the utterly rubbish weather. I may, possibly, buy a collimating tool for the ODK, but won't be spending much on it.

IMHO it's not worth spending more than *very* low four figures (If that) on kit unless you can afford to host it at a better location than here. And I say that as someone whose kit runs uncomfortably into five figures.

• Sad 3

53 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The postman hasn't brought any astro related kit for a long time now, and I doubt he ever will.

I'm done wasting my money on kit that I can't use because of the utterly rubbish weather. I may, possibly, buy a collimating tool for the ODK, but won't be spending much on it.

IMHO it's not worth spending more than *very* low four figures (If that) on kit unless you can afford to host it at a better location than here. And I say that as someone whose kit runs uncomfortably into five figures.

I completely understand those feelings. It’s frustrating when kit sits unused. However, I get such a lot of enjoyment when I do use it that any feelings of wasted money soon disappear. It’s very much a personal thing I think. Most of the kit I have, I intend to have for many years to come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Party pooper. 😄

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

Looking forward to the feedback on the 3-8mm zoom from everyone.  I love mine.

I will definitely give my feedback on the next clear night. Hopefully without a bright moon washing the sky out.

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

I'm done wasting my money on kit that I can't use because of the utterly rubbish weather.

I felt a bit like that last Winter but look at it now, I've had 3 clear nights in the last week and it looks good for tonight as well. Chin up and all that!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaveS said:

We all been on that roller coaster with astronomy for sure over the years. Hit a patch a couple of years back were I thought I was really done with astronomy with the weather and a few other factors in my life too, which made me sell off some items I regretted selling later on. Only lasted a few months then got a wonderful clear night again that got my mojo back for astronomy again. As I do visual astronomy only mainly I can have quick sessions when possible at worst with the weather, so nabbing an hour (or less sometimes) when clouds part is great to do with my small 80 ED ‘frac on my wooden tripod. No big hankering to own any Taks or similar high priced ‘fracs, and happy with my EP range too, so any more astro purchases will be few and far between now anyway. 

• Like 8