Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 11/04/2023 at 12:41, Ratlet said:

Lazy Susan bearing for the dob.  Tried tefom pads, well furniture sliders but it was way too stiff.

Also contact lenses so no mor passes on and off.

PXL_20230411_105828024.jpg

How big is your dob and can you post a link to where you got it as I want one for my 10" please.

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

How big is your dob and can you post a link to where you got it as I want one for my 10" please.

Mine is a 10" Dob.

I ordered mine from here and bought an 18" Bearing.  I could have got the 19" as the base of my dob is 22" in diameter, however I don't think it will improve performance enough to justify nearly double the cost!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141742604866

I've not had a chance to take it out and use it in anger yet but it seems pretty smooth.  It moves easily but doesn't do the windmill thing that the standard bearing does and doesnt have that ever so slight rocking thing going on.  @Mr Spock has used ones from simply bearings which he has been very happy with.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p187448/600mm-Round-Lazy-Susan-Rotating-Aluminium-Turntable-Bearing/product_info.html

I did try teflon (carpet gliders from Wickes rather) without any melamine but it was a disaster.  I did however end up taking two of them without the stick backing and putting them together so the gliders face outwars and putting them in the middle of the lazy susan just loose.  This means when I tighten the bolt I get a wee bit of extra friction so I can change eyepieces without the dob moving but still move it freely.  As I said though, not tested it out yet.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Mine is a 10" Dob.

I ordered mine from here and bought an 18" Bearing.  I could have got the 19" as the base of my dob is 22" in diameter, however I don't think it will improve performance enough to justify nearly double the cost!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141742604866

I've not had a chance to take it out and use it in anger yet but it seems pretty smooth.  It moves easily but doesn't do the windmill thing that the standard bearing does and doesnt have that ever so slight rocking thing going on.  @Mr Spock has used ones from simply bearings which he has been very happy with.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p187448/600mm-Round-Lazy-Susan-Rotating-Aluminium-Turntable-Bearing/product_info.html

I did try teflon (carpet gliders from Wickes rather) without any melamine but it was a disaster.  I did however end up taking two of them without the stick backing and putting them together so the gliders face outwars and putting them in the middle of the lazy susan just loose.  This means when I tighten the bolt I get a wee bit of extra friction so I can change eyepieces without the dob moving but still move it freely.  As I said though, not tested it out yet.

Mine is 21" so I think that 18" one will do the trick thank you this is going to help immensely.

So another few purchases but I reckon I am almost there when it comes to my Astronomy gear ..  
A lovely pair of 8-24 mm Celestron zoom EPs ( one of which was a freebie from Amazon as they somehow messed up my Easter Sunday) and then a nice Bino viewer courtesy of @cloudsweeper( Thanks Doug) , and finally a very pretty SVBony mirror diagonal . 

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So another few purchases but I reckon I am almost there when it comes to my Astronomy gear ..  
A lovely pair of 8-24 mm Celestron zoom EPs ( one of which was a freebie from Amazon as they somehow messed up my Easter Sunday) and then a nice Bino viewer courtesy of @cloudsweeper( Thanks Doug) , and finally a very pretty SVBony mirror diagonal . 

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

Stu take the side covers off your diagonal and check that they aren’t silver metal. When I had this diagonal I had to paint mine mat black. I don’t know if they have now rectified this issue as it caused a lot of reflection issues.

• Like 2

Postie has been this morning, amazingly managed to not talk Astro but skips...
we had one being delivered as he called.

Delivery from @FLO and one from @Mr Spock

A replacement rubber eyecup for the LE series, my mint 12.5 had a strange cup from new, so replaced with a new one thats normal.

62837CF6-13A5-4C15-9922-81C3B6230D41.thumb.jpeg.1ab40d573c00846e3c49342c0870ea1d.jpeg

And a Vixen SLV from Mr Spock, I will start to be called @Franklin with all this Vixen kit buying going on.

254F911C-9887-4BAA-B581-2AC621AFFD75.thumb.jpeg.540fb2e94880781f0e474859bb04bdeb.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
Added pictures and typos
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Just delivered from @FLO after an agonising wait for Berlebach to transport it:

IMG_20230414_135335.thumb.jpg.59926502c8b5571ef42baeab185a43ee.jpg

Report 312. Isn't she a beauty? ❤️

I wonder what kind of wood it is.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

I wonder what kind of wood it is.  

I believe it's ash, but I'm no expert.....

I'll bore everyone with photos of the whole setup shortly! 😛

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alan White said:

All the Berlebach tripods are made from Ash.

I’ve often considered buying a Berlebach tripod, but the farthest I’ve gotten is a Berlebach charon  observing seat. What exactly are the benefits over a standard stainless steel tripod? I presume weight for starters.

3 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I’ve often considered buying a Berlebach tripod, but the farthest I’ve gotten is a Berlebach charon  observing seat. What exactly are the benefits over a standard stainless steel tripod? I presume weight for starters.

Dampening for one and thats a big one.
They look rather nice,
Nice in the cold when you handle them.

I had a Uni 28 and it compared weight wise to the SW 1.75" metal one.
Sold my one to raise funds as I often do.
Rgeretted selling it ever sine, as I often do as well.

Its on my to buy list, but not at the cost of other items on the same list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Everything that Alan said, IMHO a wooden tripod beats a steel one every time for "ordinary sized" refractors👍👍

Dave

• Like 3