NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

@Ags Well, I haven't had chance top do much with it, it has been a very long, quite stressful day, but it seems to be a very good book. Showing you around the moon, as you would expect from an atlas, with some brief descriptions. The fact that it is ring bound will make photocopying pages very easy, so I can use it outdoors in the dew, without risking the book. Like your book.  :smiley:

If it is something other than maps you want, have you considered Haynes Moon Manual? I found that quite an entertaining read. https://www.amazon.nl/Harland-Owners-Workshop-billion-present/dp/0857338269/ref=sr_1_6?__mk_nl_NL=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3V872F3MIIUKW&keywords=haynes+moon+manual&qid=1661894823&sprefix=haynes+moon+manual%2Caps%2C61&sr=8-6

Hope that is of some help? :smiley:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ags said:

Please post your thoughts on the moon book

21st Century Atlas of the Moon by Wood & Collins is an excellent Luna treatise, much more than just an atlas/map of the moon. Absolutely crammed with info on our satellite. The authors go into detail explaining all the major features with observing tips, as well as info on the Luna landing sites plus specialized maps showing the Limbs, the Poles and the Farside. Good book 10/10.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Franklin said:

21st Century Atlas of the Moon by Wood & Collins is an excellent Luna treatise, much more than just an atlas/map of the moon. Absolutely crammed with info on our satellite. The authors go into detail explaining all the major features with observing tips, as well as info on the Luna landing sites plus specialized maps showing the Limbs, the Poles and the Farside. Good book 10/10.

One of the very few books I actually use at the eyepiece. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

This just arrived courtesy of FLO. I’m hoping it’s a step up from my more basic barlow and works well enough at f4.7 …

Nice!... Will be interesting to hear what you think and how much of a step up it is :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

These have just arrived… Canon IS 15x50 😮

Quick testing outside confirms that they do indeed give a super steady view, compared to normal hand held binoculars 👍

I’m going to enjoy using methinks 😃

8E1E3B87-498F-44C8-804C-752C0EF63B93.jpeg

Whoa! And I thought my 12 x 32’s were good, but these are in a different league 😊👍🏻

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Whoa! And I thought my 12 x 32’s were good, but these are in a different league 😊👍🏻

I don't know about that....  I wanted to get something with a good bit of aperture. I'll put them up against my Lunt 16x70 and see how they fare... If they're anywhere near as good, and I don't have to mess with the Neweer tripod mount (which is a bit cumbersome), then they'll replace them 🤔

I was hovering offer the buy button for the 12x32s you have, but I just don't see myself travelling with these (I have my Monarch 8x30 for walking/holiday usage) so changed my mind. The 18x50 seem to just be a step too far according to most reviews, so these are (hopefully) good compromise between aperture and magnification 🤞

Thanks for popping up your thread, as they started the decision process, which I think had been latent for a good while anyway 😁

• Like 1

A camping lamp in an Astro thread? Get out of here! Now hold on... The first press of the switch is red! Pause a few seconds and the second press switches off. Magic! 

A Quechua BL100. £9.99 plus post from Decathlon. Complete with batteries.

1535451488_IMG_20220901_1742391772.thumb.jpg.0425341d5aaa96b0036ca2da7d69ba0b.jpg

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

A camping lamp in an Astro thread? Get out of here! Now hold on... The first press of the switch is red! Pause a few seconds and the second press switches off. Magic! 

A Quechua BL100. £9.99 plus post from Decathlon. Complete with batteries.

Or, for £24.99, a rechargeable version with 15 lumens red and 200 lumens white, against 20 L red and 100 L white. You get 130 hours red mode on a single charge. Choices! Choices!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-lamp-bl200-rechargeable-200-lumens/_/R-p-324939?mc=8584584

I think I'll order, now.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Hmmm…this will have to wait till tomorrow as just got in from Brussels, so pretty tired.

Seems to be from Japan via Exeter…and took nearly a year to get here. So another few hours won’t matter 🤔

3A2F3222-7F4C-42E4-ADBB-B94A31739504.thumb.jpeg.2c2eb390e1158e2eaae56bb059820fca.jpeg

Jeremy, your are certifiable out of control! It's a disease I hope afflicts me one day, too! 😂 I cant wait to see it, congratulations!!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Hmmm…this will have to wait till tomorrow as just got in from Brussels, so pretty tired.

Seems to be from Japan via Exeter…and took nearly a year to get here. So another few hours won’t matter 🤔

3A2F3222-7F4C-42E4-ADBB-B94A31739504.thumb.jpeg.2c2eb390e1158e2eaae56bb059820fca.jpeg

I know what this is 😄

Look forward to the BIG reveal 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1