NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

TC-E2 2xTeleconverter.  Wanting to build myself a set of constellation binoculars (aka bionic eyes).  I... uh might have made a mistake when I ordered this and thought it said there was 2 of them rather than it was 2xpower lol.

Also, the M54 adapter is a dud.  I don't feel it is useable with the scope.  It doesn't thread enough on before it jams for me to be happy hanging eyepieces off.  I guess I get to find out how good AliExpress's refund procedure is.

received_619358239821203.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Some mixed views on them on here. Hope MandyD has a better experience with hers 🤞

I've put it on my 2" Skywatcher tripod using the custom adapter I machined out of aluminium and mounted my RC6 on it and pointed it at some distant hills. It seems to be pretty solid and the scope doesn't wobble too much when focussing. I don't like the way the locking screws work. They just bear directly on the shafts and because of the belt drives don't lock the mount solid. You can still wobble it if you try. For what I am going to use it for (planetary and lunar imaging) it should be OK. It takes the weight of the RC6 and a DSLR quite well. If you nudge it like a Dob it is quite smooth in action and the handwheels work, but the gearing is a lot faster than I'd like.

I'm hoping to catch the Moon or Jupiter tonight to see how well it works. I'll report back if I get anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Are they any good?  I've seen them on AliExpress and always wondered.

Yes! Having just spent the last two hours imaging the Moon, Jupiter and Mars with my RC6 mounted on one, I can confirm that it works quite well and is a lot easier to use than the Dobsonian mount on my 200P. Surprisinngly little wobble and reasonably smooth operation. Could be better, but overall definitely worth having for me.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ratlet said:

TC-E2 2xTeleconverter.  Wanting to build myself a set of constellation binoculars (aka bionic eyes).  I... uh might have made a mistake when I ordered this and thought it said there was 2 of them rather than it was 2xpower lol.

Also, the M54 adapter is a dud.  I don't feel it is useable with the scope.  It doesn't thread enough on before it jams for me to be happy hanging eyepieces off.  I guess I get to find out how good AliExpress's refund procedure is.

received_619358239821203.jpeg

Ditto: 

• Like 1

I am not doing widefield landscape AP, but I like supporting content creators in the general field of my interest. Mr. Wallace seems to have pulled himself by the bootstraps and is doing it in a fun and interesting manner on his YT channel. Not easy to publish a book, 575 pages at that.

20220916_125110_HDR.thumb.jpg.1e6356b2c3d9609a998eea25da66a0f4.jpg

Edited by Dark Raven
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Dark Raven said:

I am not doing widefield AP, but I like supporting content creators in the general field of my interest. Mr Wallace seems to have pulled himself by the bootstraps and is doing it in a fun and interesting manner on his YT channel.

20220916_125110_HDR.thumb.jpg.1e6356b2c3d9609a998eea25da66a0f4.jpg

yeah agree , he's a good watch on YouTube with his WITNS Vlog , the book looks like its a good read too ... nice one 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tompato said:

Got this a week or so ago as a present from the wife. Should be a nice upgrade to my Evoguide 50ed.

IMG_20220907_114528.jpg

Wow... nice present 👍

My other half got me a present last week... body spray & deodorant,

What's she trying to say 🤥

• Haha 5

I just picked up a Lacerta 2" Herschel wedge earlier this week. Just had the chance to play with it, and below is a single frame from a ZWO 071 Pro camera attached to my Takahashi TSA 102 f/8 refractor. I used a polarizing filter and a solar continuum filter (and a UV/IR filter too) for this shot. 

842611836_sun16thsept2022v4.thumb.jpg.0916b829f3ebeee3bd40777774f391e1.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Pixies said:

Ditto: 

In what is a surprise to me the wife has been militant about us absolutely needing to get a 3D printer.  I've tried saying no, but she's put her foot down lol.

Thinking a perusa mini