NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography on a Budget - I really hope this helps.

JasonR

I do not know if this will help anyone out there. I wanted to get into astrophotography for years….and I mean years. The problem was that I thought the only way to get those amazing shots was with all the super expensive equipment. I did a lot of research, spoke to countless people at star parties. Knowing my own budget and seeing all the expensive setups was discouraging. I visited and discussed options with different telescope manufactures. Finally went into the Orion Cupertino store and spoke with the store manager, Ken. I finally got the Orion Sky View Pro mount with motor drives (non-goto) and purchased a $20 lens off of eBay. I have been extremely happy with my set up and have taken some pretty amazing shots. I am an educator by trade and would like to share my experience with everyone. I hope someone out there can benefit from this video. If at a minimum it encourages someone on the fence to take the plunge into AP then it was worth the effort of making the video.

https://youtu.be/0A3NFrnWTYg    

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I enjoyed that, Jason, and I'm not a newbie. Your enthusiasm really comes over.  As you say, lots there to encourage someone starting out. :)  Thanks for making and posting it. 

Thank you for your kind words.  I am really glad you enjoyed watching.  I think there are a lot of people out there who want to give AP a try but believe it is only possible with high-end gear.  Certainly the high price gear does produce fantastic images but I am glad I started where I am at.  Eventually I will move up but for now I am more than happy. 

Best regards,

Jason

17 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Indeed, an enjoyable watch and a very approachable approach to imaging the night sky! 

Thank you.  I'm really glad you enjoyed the video.  I hope it encourages people to start.  AP is a fantastic hobby!

Jason

Great video!

I had been thinking about buying the ed80 for wide field views as I already have a C8. I wonder if a camera lens on top of my C8 would do the job.

Also I wonder if 600 dollars is a bot too much for a mount conversion as you could have bought a used heq5 for it?

The scary part in the video was quite scary lol that's one of the things I hate about dark skies!

A thoroughly enjoyable and valuable posting, Jason.  In spite of efforts to re-introduce bears to the Pyrenees, our nearest mountains about an hour away, the last native bear was shot by a frightened hunter a few years ago.  So we don't have a problem with bears, but I will watch out for the spook in future!

4 hours ago, Astro_king said:

Great video!

I had been thinking about buying the ed80 for wide field views as I already have a C8. I wonder if a camera lens on top of my C8 would do the job.

Also I wonder if 600 dollars is a bot too much for a mount conversion as you could have bought a used heq5 for it?

The scary part in the video was quite scary lol that's one of the things I hate about dark skies!

Astro_king,

I was looking at the ed80 at one point as well.  Seems to have good reviews.  Keep in mind that you'll probably want to get the field flattener/focal reducer.....which will add a couple hundred.    You might be right about the used mount but so far I am really happy with what I have.  Something about the simplicity which makes me smile.....not sure why.  I have practiced quite a bit with the mount but I can literally be set up and imaging in 5 minutes.  Someday I will upgrade but for now, it works great.  I actually had a lot of fun filming the scary part, gave the video a little extra personality.  LOL.  I'm really glad that people are enjoying it.  

3 hours ago, Relpet said:

A thoroughly enjoyable and valuable posting, Jason.  In spite of efforts to re-introduce bears to the Pyrenees, our nearest mountains about an hour away, the last native bear was shot by a frightened hunter a few years ago.  So we don't have a problem with bears, but I will watch out for the spook in future!

Relpet,

Thank you for your kind words.  I am glad you enjoyed the video. 

Best regards,

Jason 

3 hours ago, JasonR said:

Astro_king,

I was looking at the ed80 at one point as well.  Seems to have good reviews.  Keep in mind that you'll probably want to get the field flattener/focal reducer.....which will add a couple hundred.    You might be right about the used mount but so far I am really happy with what I have.  Something about the simplicity which makes me smile.....not sure why.  I have practiced quite a bit with the mount but I can literally be set up and imaging in 5 minutes.  Someday I will upgrade but for now, it works great.  I actually had a lot of fun filming the scary part, gave the video a little extra personality.  LOL.  I'm really glad that people are enjoying it.  

yeah forget about setting up heq5 in 5 mins! NO CHANCE!

What lens are you using? Have you got other pictures I can have a look at? Also, how to add a light pollution filter to a camera lens?

39 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Either a clip in filter if you have a canon or a 2 inch filter screwed onto the lens using step rings as needed.

Interesting as when my mrs inquired at jessops, they said they don't do any light pollution filter but they had loads of other filters. maybe it goes by a different name. I have a canon btw.

I'll add a safer way to aim a camera is a flash hot shoe mounted red dot finder, in the eu Astroboot stock one or make your own. (Laser use is very controversial in the EU/UK as it's unsafe and the skies are full of planes).

I use a 7 inch android tablet running dslr controller to both nail focus and as a intervalometer. The application lightbox works great for taking the flats necessary.

I let the histogram drive my iso choice aiming for the peak to be clear of the left hand side. Usually means 800-1600 iso for my location.

13 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Really cool video, informative and importantly fun! Some nice resulting images as well, thanks for sharing.

Thank you Pete.  I am glad you liked the video!

Jason

8 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I'll add a safer way to aim a camera is a flash hot shoe mounted red dot finder, in the eu Astroboot stock one or make your own. (Laser use is very controversial in the EU/UK as it's unsafe and the skies are full of planes).

I use a 7 inch android tablet running dslr controller to both nail focus and as a intervalometer. The application lightbox works great for taking the flats necessary.

I let the histogram drive my iso choice aiming for the peak to be clear of the left hand side. Usually means 800-1600 iso for my location.

Hello happy-kat,

I hear you about the laser.  I actually tried the red dot but found that it was really too difficult to aim with as I would have to lay directly under the camera to aim above my head. 

It sounds like you have a really good system though.  I like the idea of using the tablet.....I will also take a closer look at lightbox.

Thank you for watching and for your input.

Best regards,

Jason

Great video, Jason. Very inspiring. I stumbled into astrophotography just for fun several years ago with a cheap analog planetary space camera for less than $100. I later bought an entry-level analog deep space cam and a Nikon DSLR. I've gotten some good shots, including the 2017 eclipse, Comet Lovejoy, M31, M13, M45, M57, the moon, and the planets. It's amazing what you can do on the cheap!

Here's my total solar eclipse shot with my Nikon D50 through my 127mm Mak:

59b5e00e296b3_DSC_0055SM.thumb.jpg.7c078f97f9f8170c8b56fcd5bf7ca421.jpg

Reggie :icescream:

5 hours ago, orion25 said:

Great video, Jason. Very inspiring. I stumbled into astrophotography just for fun several years ago with a cheap analog planetary space camera for less than $100. I later bought an entry-level analog deep space cam and a Nikon DSLR. I've gotten some good shots, including the 2017 eclipse, Comet Lovejoy, M31, M13, M45, M57, the moon, and the planets. It's amazing what you can do on the cheap!

Here's my total solar eclipse shot with my Nikon D50 through my 127mm Mak:

59b5e00e296b3_DSC_0055SM.thumb.jpg.7c078f97f9f8170c8b56fcd5bf7ca421.jpg

Reggie :icescream:

That’s a great shot!  I am glad you enjoyed the video.  I am trying to encourage more to give AP a try.  If more people realize you do not need to take out a second mortgage to start in AP, I think we would have more participants in this amazing hobby.  Best regards,  Jason

Archived