SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Pakistan

Sidd

Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce myself to everyone here. I have joined this forum in order to learn from all of you and progress my stargazing experience with you all. I am relatively new to this area but unlike those who do it for fun or as a dear hobby I have been led here by life really. I will tell you how in a bit. But first, a bit about myself. Well I have been working for the most part of my career with the United Nations and have recently put up my own NGO/Charity which I am running for the past 5 years now. I also lecture, as an Associate Professor, at a university in Islamabad, nonetheless, I am a writer by passion. I only hope my writing could pay the bills and allow me the most exhilerating freedom in not doing anything other than writing- but well not in this life perhaps :) I am a writer who tends to write a lot but I shall try to keep my posts here precise to the extent possible. This is my first and introductory post so I shall take the liberty of writing freely if I may. 

So I was telling you how I was led to stargazing by my life, which by the way, is funnier than me. As a young boy I developed an unmatched interest in Physics as I took it up until high school and even college. But then that was that and I moved on towards business education however physics kept my heart occupied and it still does. But it was in fact my later interest in theoretical physics that threw me in to the cosmos and I found myself at home. Nevertheless, as my interest in philosophy deepened, it also made me gaze at stars because philosophy is woven in life here but ripens up there where the stars live. So I was once again thinking about and looking at those twinkling little diamonds in the sky. This is very interesting for me given that I believe that my interests in philosophy and physics have actually sent me for astronomy from my backyard. 

I am a bit of an OCD and my wife calls me a subtle version of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory ;) Perhaps this accounts for my lonesome hobbies including pipe smoking, writing and of course looking at the heavens above. I have started to look at the sky lately and am familiarising myself with what I behold. I have three locations including my roof (daily or shall I say nightly) a village of a friend in the North-West (once in three months) and a holiday apartment of my father-in-law at a hill station about 6000 feet high (once or twice a year). The problem here in Pakistan is that not many people are interested in the skies given that we are mostly intertwined with our daily squabbles on earth and hence the astronomy equipment is nowhere to be found around. A friend of mine is visiting from the UK and I have asked him to bring me a 114 or 127 mm Newtonian reflector after considering the fact that it might actually be my only telescope or at least something I shall have for another 5-10 years. If he is able to bring it easily, he shall, if not I am planning to get a good pair of binoculars and then carry on and see where I end up in a couple of years time. 

I must end here before I sway again. I get lovely thoughts (if I haven't gone mad completely) while I look at the stars. These days I am trying to get a glimpse of the Orion Nebula with my naked eyes but it is impossible from the city skies. I am planning to record my stargazing experience in my blog. I have mostly written on philosophy, social issues, human rights and education etc on my blog so far however I shall start to write more about what I see above now and what those celestial objects make me think as that would be a good reflection on life altogether so it wouldn't necessarily be about what I see but perhaps about what it makes me think about. If you are interested in reading, I blog at: www.theorthodox.wordpress.com 

I hope that my stay here would be eventful and that I shall learn a lot from all of you. 

My most profound regards,

Sidd. 

Welcome to SGL Sidd. Funny enough, i'm originally from Islamabad as well but moved out good 15 years ago and now living in London. If you would like to get in touch with the local astronomy club in Islamabad (really good bunch of people), i can most certainly hook you up. I met them for the first time during my visit to Islamabad in the 2 years since i've been speaking to them and also helped host a lecture and stargazing event in Beconhouse School System in F-11. 

PM me if interested and i'll arrange it for you.

Hello Sidd and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time with us here in SGL,

a great deal of very friendly and helpful folk from all around the world. Enjoy.

Good luck and Clear Sky's.

Welcome Sidd.  I'm pleased that you have arrived on the shores of SGL.  The group here is well versed, helpful, and enthusiastic.  With that recipe, I am sure your time on the forum will be eventful. :) 

17 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Welcome to SGL Sidd. Funny enough, i'm originally from Islamabad as well but moved out good 15 years ago and now living in London. If you would like to get in touch with the local astronomy club in Islamabad (really good bunch of people), i can most certainly hook you up. I met them for the first time during my visit to Islamabad in the 2 years since i've been speaking to them and also helped host a lecture and stargazing event in Beconhouse School System in F-11. 

PM me if interested and i'll arrange it for you.

Oh well that is interesting and surprising. I would like that yes. I will PM you ...

5 hours ago, Mr niall said:

You have access to a 6000ft hill station? Good grief I'd give both my arms for that! Welcome.

5 hours ago, Mr niall said:

You have access to a 6000ft hill station? Good grief I'd give both my arms for that! Welcome.

As a matter of fact yes I do :) although I can only visit there once or twice a year and that too in summertime. 

Archived