Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Far West Texas-El Paso

mrdusty

Forty years ago, I tried to stop smoking. My method was to hand grind an 8" mirror and have a fellow scope maker guide me and help me mount it and get all the components in the correct location.

I used the scope for about three years before kids got in the way with their stuff-soccer (football) band...blah.

Sold the scope to science teacher who used it for two years before dumping it over the side of his pick-up during a pre-tailgating type party.

Just found my old Edmund Scientific 4" telescope kit in garage and am reworking it. All it came with was the mirror, secondary, slide focuser, two lenses and a tube to build own eyepiece and an 18" tube with instructions on how to build the rest. Bought an Orion Funscope (76mm) to play with while I figure out where I stand, plus having 'star partys' with the little grandkids.

Pictured is the only Homeland Security Agent I trust.

Rich

honey.jpg.913d06ab24b1ee287775b89784b2410c.jpg

Hi, Rich!

You won't need to grind optics yourself these days, fortunately an 8" reflector is so common, and the figuring has become so well controlled, a "large" newtonian does not require that challenge any more. If you still smoke you'll have to find something else to distract you from it. By the way, I like to picture other stargazers' environment in my mind, so I often ask "How is your sky?"

(I wouldn't trust my safety on people who are not friends or family either)

Welcome Rich from Land Down Under

Best bit is having fun with grandkids, which I do as well

Astronomy and kids are a beautiful mix

With club belong to South East Queensland, we do displays and presentations in primary schools, mainly with 5-7yo's, and Space Badge scout/guide movement

Have had some of our members who have also built their own scopes

Go along to local club, and members there only happy to help with your unfinished project

Happy Viewing

John

15 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Hi, Rich!

You won't need to grind optics yourself these days, fortunately an 8" reflector is so common, and the figuring has become so well controlled, a "large" newtonian does not require that challenge any more. If you still smoke you'll have to find something else to distract you from it. By the way, I like to picture other stargazers' environment in my mind, so I often ask "How is your sky?"

(I wouldn't trust my safety on people who are not friends or family either)

Nope on the smoking, grinding the mirror took care of that, been smoke free (except for what comes from my ears sometimes) for 45 years or so.

Usually in West Texas we have pretty clear skies, but lately we've had a lot of clouds. It seems that if there is a storm that hits Baja, or from the Gulf down around Houston or south, we end up with a few inches of rain and 3-4 days of clouds. Luckly, my house sits a little above others in our subdivision and the eastern half of the sky is pretty dark.

I'd like to live in that kind of setting: a town that's not too big but with all the convenience and services, not much light pollution, and I'd prefer living near the edge of town, of course. What I had not pondered is the altitude, but you make me think about it: if the choice is possible living above the rest of the city is good, too.

Archived