Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

steppenwolf

The Orion Nebula - a different processing technique!

This cross-stitch is now almost complete so I thought you might like to see an update. The full cross stitch is completely circular but this photograph has been cropped slightly for another purpose.

stitched_at_the_eyepiece.thumb.png.97b9df7e7dded44e38b14eafbd10c69f.png

• Like 14

WOW!!! There's really  nothing else that can be said for it's sheer quality and the amount of work that Jane must have put into it...... it is FANTASTIC!! Please pass my biggest respect onto Jane for her work :)

An incredible piece of work...  I dread to think how many hours have gone into this!   I'm sure I'd go cross-eyed within 20 minutes...

I can spot a bit of vertical banding :tongue:

No easy fix springs to mind, but working in Layers is definitely not recommended, lol.

All joking aside, this is seriously impressive. Hat, tipped. 

Excellent masterpiece by the Lady with the Sharp Needle.

Indeed, very impressive.

Now, if you were to spend as many hours collecting data as she has spent producing this ...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By StaceStar
      Took this last night in a rare beak in the clouds, still a work in progress and the moon was close. it was also a bit of an experiment on how my L pro max filter would help with moonlight, the answer is...quite well actually! the rest of the moon glare was mopped up in astro pixel processor.
      55x60s, flats, darks and bad pixel map applied. stacked and processed in APP and final touch up in PS. 
      Still a work in progress and i'll add more data as and when i can

• By Selborne
      Hi Guys,

I thought I would share with you my first DSO taken with my new Orion 8" Ritchey Chretien F8 Telescope.  The frame is made up of 12 x 4min shots, no light or dark frames, using my Sony A7Rii camera.  The camera had the long exposure noise reduction switched on, which does help to reduce the total number of stars captured by the camera, as the Sony A7Rii does tend to overdo the number of stars captured.  The telescope was mounted on my trusty skywatcher NEQ6 mount and the guiding was via PHD 'of course' via my skywatcher ED50 guide scope.
      The shots were taken from my back garden in Stowmarket, Suffolk where I believe I am a Bortie 4 location, so the skies are mostly dark, with just a little light pollution from the main town, no filters used.
      My normal telescope is a Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit F5.5, which is an incredibly sharp scope, but with a wide 550mm field of view, great for capturing the whole of Andromeda but a struggle with smaller images like the Iris Nebula.  I will say the Orion RC scope did need to be collimated out of the box, which was a little disappointing, and it was not just a little out of collimation, it was a long way out, but with the use of a collimating tool, I soon had it dialled in.  
      First impressions of the Orion Ritchey Chretien 8" Telescope are fair, not super impressed, as it is nowhere near as sharp as my ED100 Esprit, but then this is to be expected based on price and telescope type, however, the pictures it has produced are pretty good, if you downscale the full 42MP from the Sony A7Rii camera, as can be seen in this picture.
      I purchased this 8" Orion Ritchey Chretien OTA mainly for Planetary work, but as yet I have not had a chance to 'get onto' a planet, fingers crossed some clear nights will arrive soon, so I can try.

I welcome comments,
      many thanks
      Jamie

• By Jannis
      After being sick for what feels like an eternity, followed by two weeks of clouds and wind, i simply could not just let this night go as it was said to be yet another week or two with clouds on the way.
      With my main scope not quite ready for use yet, i quickly hooked up the QHY5L-II-M to a canon 50mm lens, attached a 7nm Ha filter, and started looking for a decent target. I didn't need to look long before i saw Orion, and then it was set!
      As the moon is currently 78% lit i must admit i was a bit worried, but i think the end result turned out OK, especially considering the relatively little data of just about 1 hour.
      Exposure is 13x 300s (and 35x 30s for the core of M42) with the QHY5L-II at gain 12.
      The lens is a Canon 50mm F/1.4@F/2.8
      Darks applied to 300s exposures, but no flats or offset. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS and cropped to 16*9 size.

• By rorymultistorey
      HI All,

I have an entertaining   video to share with you which is perfect for those just starting out and wanting to taste a bit of astrophotography without spending a lot of money. I image from London and managed to get a pretty good shot of Orion for just £150. This video runs through where I bought the equipment, why I bought  it and how I used it to capture a Orion and some of the trials and tribulations I had to deal with on the way. Any questions please ask!  Enjoy!
      FYI I shot this last year but with Orion now beginning to rise over the rooftops of London I thought this would be a good time to share it.

• By lalou
      Tried capturing M42 and horsehead nebula last night with my new Astro-modified EOS Rebel XT. During post processing I noticed these weird spots and lines across the image. Would you happen to know if this was because of the mirrors of the telescope (i.e. dirty mirrors) or is something wrong with the camera? What's weird is that this 2 images were taken with the same exact camera at the same exact position but some artifacts visible on M42 did not show up on the horsehead nebula.
      Btw I checked the mirrors of the telescope but I cant find the weird long spots

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.