SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

4" Orion Found in Attic

So here goes, looks like I've inherited a 4" Orion based on pictures it looks like an Orion StarSeeker IV 127mm (guessing). I do not have eyepieces, a tripod, or any kind of finder. I'm trying to get my kids interested. Please give me advice on what I should buy for the three needed items or any items that might enhance the experience to get them hooked. Purchasing items that are a little bit above the bare minimum but could be used for a future scope isn't out of the question. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David P said:

So here goes, looks like I've inherited a 4" Orion based on pictures it looks like an Orion StarSeeker IV 127mm (guessing). I do not have eyepieces, a tripod, or any kind of finder. I'm trying to get my kids interested. Please give me advice on what I should buy for the three needed items or any items that might enhance the experience to get them hooked. Purchasing items that are a little bit above the bare minimum but could be used for a future scope isn't out of the question. 

Do you have a photo of the scope to look at, Inc one of the mirror?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

Would that be the 127mm Maksutov like this one? if so it is a very capable scope. I would look at some nice plossl eyepieces such as the Celestron Omni range, they are solid performers at a very reasonable price.

It appears so, it should be in my hands by this evening I'll look for more details, but the two pics above tell a good story, luckily it was stored with both covers firmly in place and in a temp-controlled environment. 

As long as the primary mirror movement lubricant is still in good shape to allow smooth focusing, it should work right out of gate.  I've had two of these Synta made Maks, one Orion and one Celestron, and both are spot on in collimation and have no focus shift or backlash.  You'll just need a decent alt-az mount/tripod and red dot finder to get started.  It looks like it was used on a photo tripod based on the still attached quick release plate.  The tripod and head are probably kicking around somewhere in that same attic.  If you can't find the tripod, you'll need to unscrew and remove that quick release plate before using it in a dovetail clamp based mount.

• Thanks 1

No mention of budget but I would be looking for something like:

• Mount: Skywatcher AZ4 or AZ5 
  • Finder: A 8/9x50 RACI would be nice given the narrow FoV of the telescope but this will require some sort of red dot in addition. The Rigel would be a good choice given that it is relatively small and has a self adhesive mount you can simply stick to the OTA. 
  • Diagonal: whichever mirror or prism star diagonal fits your budget.
  • Eyepieces: A 32mm Plossl as a finder/low power and then some shorter options. 12/18/25mm Starguiders would work well.
  • Like 1