Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

steppenwolf

The Orion Nebula - a different processing technique!

My wife Janie is very heavily into cross-stitch and produces beautiful work from photographs (normally dogs!) using patterns that I produce for her using special software. Her latest project is from one of my deep sky images and one of her favourite objects, the Orion Nebula. The 'resolution' is a pretty appalling 216 x 216 stitches but when hung on the wall and viewed from about four feet away, it will look like a photograph.

As usual, I have produced a mock-up for her showing literally every stitch that will be sewn using 82 different silk colours! For the fun of it I will post up WIP images but here is the mock-up for starters (the image might need to be clicked on to show the stitches rather than just an interference pattern!):-

orion_stitch.thumb.png.6e067b6b3ae3525f853e66b5791fa78f.png

• Like 41

Wow, that's going to be a challenge.

• Like 1

Must have the patience of a saint I reckon but I would definitely hang that on my wall.👍

• Like 2

Please give Janie my thumbs-up!

That is truly an amazing work of artistry.In a medium I never would have thought of!

Beautiful -

Dave

• Like 1

Thats something different... and time consuming.. nice idea.

• Like 1

Amazing Idea. Must see the final work. Please keep us updated.

Jens

• Like 1

And here was me thinking that folks that did AP must be a bit crazy!  Not sure I'd be up for hand stitching every 'pixel'.   :icon_salut:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, carastro said:

Wow, that's going to be a challenge.

10 hours ago, triton1 said:

Must have the patience of a saint I reckon but I would definitely hang that on my wall.👍

3 hours ago, gnomus said:

Not sure I'd be up for hand stitching every 'pixel'.   :icon_salut:

To give an idea of the complexity of the work, the only 'pattern' will comprise of 12 x A4 laser printed sheets, each with a matrix of squares representing the individual stitches with a symbol in each denoting which silk colour to use - no printed pattern on the white cloth, each stitch will be placed by counting its position from the start stitch and its neighbours. This is normal for cross-stitch work but made much more complex by the fine silk colour changes, very different from the usual samplers that people do. Janie has plenty of 'previous' in this sort of task though, having completed photograph-based stitches of three houses, six dogs. three cats, my sports car and numerous other projects. Her biggest project so far was the stitch of our house on a 12" x 9" canvas as this comprised 40,824 stitches at 18 stitches to the inch :eek:

Again, you may have to click on the image to see it full size to avoid the interference patterns:-

Orion_close_stitch.thumb.png.4d62a7bb21383f55081512ee5699ca94.png

Thanks for your comments and interest, folks, I can't wait to see it started which could be tonight!

This is going to be marvellous Steve, The Present Mrs Foster used to dabble and I had similar software for her. I'm looking forward to seeing the WIP and the final work.

• Like 1

How jolly interesting!!! I am looking forward to seeing this develop for sure!!! :) 

• Like 1

Great stuff, i'm looking forward to this, following.

• Like 1

How long does your wife take for 40.000 stitches? Must be Months...

• Like 1

Wow...  That will be absolutely awesome - I can't even contemplate how difficult this will be for Janie having to differentiate between the tone subtleties and deal with 82 different colours.  I think I'd end up with a permanent squint!

Must have the patience of a saint I reckon...

(Obviously had many year's of experience - After all, consider who Janie's married to! :D)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jedi2014 said:

How long does your wife take for 40.000 stitches? Must be Months...

Actually this one took two years but then she doesn't do it full-time :icon_biggrin:

16 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

(Obviously had many year's of experience - After all, consider who Janie's married to! :D)

This is a good point and well made ......... However, consider the scene and you'll understand why we are still together after 42 years:-

Janie sits in her own corner sofa with the silk tray and pattern to one side and the cross-stitch frame perfectly positioned in front of her with a daylight bulb illuminating the canvas, her trusty Labrador, Cherry, at her feet , logs burning on the open fire and country music/Celine Dion playing in the background. Meanwhile her ever loving sits on his own sofa diagonally across from her, laptop on lap controlling his observatory down the LAN while he captures the magic of the night sky in narrowband -

Marital bliss, surely? :evil4:

• Like 5

Having seen glimpses of Janies work, I have little doubt this will be amazing. surely she would prefer a black and white version ;)

She'll have her work cut out replicating the coma :D

........ and so it starts! Day one - can you see what it is yet? Don't worry, I won't be posting these up daily!! :icon_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, Scott said:

Having seen glimpses of Janies work, I have little doubt this will be amazing. surely she would prefer a black and white version ;)

'Tell you what, Scott, how about YOU suggest that? :cussing::icon_biggrin:

Orion_Cross-Stitch_080617.thumb.png.45b5b8caa920977bec48c48fbb30e7af.png

• Like 1

On 2017-6-7 at 23:20, steppenwolf said:

My wife Janie is very heavily into cross-stitch and produces beautiful work from photographs (normally dogs!) using patterns that I produce for her using special software. Her latest project is from one of my deep sky images and one of her favourite objects, the Orion Nebula. The 'resolution' is a pretty appalling 216 x 216 stitches but when hung on the wall and viewed from about four feet away, it will look like a photograph.

As usual, I have produced a mock-up for her showing literally every stitch that will be sewn using 82 different silk colours! For the fun of it I will post up WIP images but here is the mock-up for starters (the image might need to be clicked on to show the stitches rather than just an interference pattern!):-

orion_stitch.thumb.png.6e067b6b3ae3525f853e66b5791fa78f.png

That deserves to be displayed in the Louvre. It a work of Art.
Incredible creation, Well done Mrs R. Your skills rival that of Hubby :icon_biggrin:.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Aren't those Ha-coloured silks are a bit pricey?

As long as you don't buy the 3nm silks, they're not too bad and luckily the boss plans the stitches carefully to minimise wastage but one day she will want the 3nm OIII silks (various shades of green and blue) and then I shall be in financial trouble ....... I might try to persuade her to go for Baadsilk rather than the Astrosilks :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

Just showed it to the Mrs  Steve, and she's very Impressed with it.
She has a friend who does Cross Stitch, but this a whole new level. 
Praise indeed, I never get any :(:biggrin:.

• Like 2

No one brought this up yet, so here goes: will she stitch together a mosaic?

Seriously though: great project. Being married to someone who loves needle work, I can appreciate the effort that will go into this. I will follow this with interest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

No one brought this up yet, so here goes: will she stitch together a mosaic?

Now there's a great idea, how about the whole area from Alnitak downwards? Perhaps step out the Barnard's Loop and the Witch Head Nebula? Who is brave enough to ask the question of the lady with the sharp needle? :evil1:

• Like 2