SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from an absolute newbie in Peterborough, UK

Trollinthewall

Hello all :)

Just thought I'd  introduce myself I'm a 22 year old guy based in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire  who's within the last year been developing a huge interest in the stars and anything space related however have not really acted upon it till now and decide to give it a go, thought I'd join you guys here as you all seem a friendly bunch who would always be willing to help. Am currently just reading the late and great Patrick Moores Astronomy: Teach Yourself A Complete Introduction and loving it, its interesting and easy for me to understand, learning so much from it. Have just currently a pair of 10x50 binoculars to look up at the sky with at the moment, although not got much chance to look through them due to poor weather here, not in any rush to buy a scope yet as I thought it'd be better to aquaint myself with the night sky and it's various sights through binoculars first until I know how to look for and track stuff manually, then I'll start looking for a scope didn't want to make a beginner's mistake and just rush in to buying one straight off the bat.

Well I think that's me done, hope you guys don't mind joining me on the very start of my adventure into the world of astronomy and any tips you have for an absolute beginners like me would be much appreciated, sure I'll be posting lots more questions haha :)

George :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi George, and welcome from the land down under

Before you rush out and buy a scope, work out what going to use it for

Observing or AP as well.

Check out any local astronomy clubs in your area, as members only too happy to show you their scope, and clubs also run info nights

Have a 10" collapsible Skywatcher dob, and a ED80 on EQ5 mount

Cambridge is one place in England, been wanting to visit for a very long time

Had a great uncle who was medically evacuated Battle of the Somme, Australian Light Horse, in August 1916, and he died of injuries, 6th August 1916 and buried in Cambridge.

Club belong to in Oz, does public displays, as well as observing night for schools, space badge for scout/guide groups

Happy Viewing

Hello and welcome to SGL,

Binoculars are a great way to start but unfortunately its the Astronomy curse... the moment you have some stargazing equipment the sky is either cloudy or during a fulll moon.

5 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Hi George, and welcome from the land down under

Before you rush out and buy a scope, work out what going to use it for

Observing or AP as well.

Check out any local astronomy clubs in your area, as members only too happy to show you their scope, and clubs also run info nights

Have a 10" collapsible Skywatcher dob, and a ED80 on EQ5 mount

Cambridge is one place in England, been wanting to visit for a very long time

Had a great uncle who was medically evacuated Battle of the Somme, Australian Light Horse, in August 1916, and he died of injuries, 6th August 1916 and buried in Cambridge.

Club belong to in Oz, does public displays, as well as observing night for schools, space badge for scout/guide groups

Happy Viewing

Thank you very much :)

I haven't done massive amounts of research into scopes at this moment but I do know I just want it for observing at the moment not AP as well, want to eventually be able to observe the planets if I can and galaxies, clusters etc so a good all rounder scope for me if there is ones like that out there. 

Cambridge is a lovely city even though I don't go there to much I hope you do manage to visit sometime. :) I have looked into astronomy clubs in my area however my local one is a pain to get to as I don't drive and it meets in quite a rural area but I will look into paying it a visit :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone :)

Hi George, welcolme to SGL, lots of very helpful people and info here.

Something that you might want to consider is a beginners' day run by the BAA (British Astronomical Association) about 50 miles away from you at Kings Lynn in October...

https://www.britastro.org/kingslynnb2b

It's not something that I'll be attending, nor do I have any vested interest in it, but I live in South Norfolk and heard about it via Norwich Astro Society.

Astronomy is a lifetime hobby that can be as cheap, or expensive as you want it to be. Just don't rush into buying any telescope without taking advice from someone that knows what they're talking about as there are some hobby destroying, so called 'bargains' out there that are a waste of money for the unaware...!! As has been said many times, the best scope is the one that you'll use most often.

Good luck, Geof

Welcome!  Full moons are great for viewing through the binocs as well!!! I'm fairly new to this all as well.  Been binge-listening to Star Talk, grabbed a similar Astro book "The Night's Sky", with huge star maps.  And am currently just nailing down a visual map in my head of the constellations to help me find my bearings on any clear night I happen to find.  The shift from winter to Spring has been interesting though, everything tilts!!!! WHo knew right? :p   Anyway, keep at it and hopefully it becomes slightly easier, though the more you learn, the more questions you have! Welcome.

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Well hello George - welcome aboard SGL, it's nice to see you here!

We thrive on questions on all aspects of astronomy, and love to help find answers to them - so need to feel shy here. Pull up a chair!

Starry Skies,

Dave

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Thanks I'm glad I'm able to ask questions and not feel like they are silly beginner questions or anything as I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions ask my knowledge expands :)

Thanks again for the warm welcomes everyone :)

Northward- nice to hear from a fellow newbie haha yeah the full moon will be something I'll try to look at when I can it's sounds like it'd be quite the sight and a good place to start :) just want the clouds to clear here so I can take a look also with my job I start at 7am so I'm usually in bed early which don't help with it being longs days at the moment haha so will try and get a look up there over my days off weather permitting :p

Hi and welcome, most astronomers use bins [I have 2] there great for double stars, and objects like the Beehive cluster in Cancer they are un -beatable some of the brighter galaxies are visible with them,and you can use them on the planets ,the moons of Jupiter the phases of Venus. Just trying to capture Uranus and Neptune is great fun.There second to none when your finding your way around the constellations.Also there very portable. Enjoy the sky`s Des

Sounds like the weekend's a perfect time then. Another thing I've found that a lot of people here use is Stellarium for you computer. It's a free program and it mimics going out on a clear night to a crazy level. Takes a few minutes to get used to, but it's chalk full of resources for when it's cloudy or still sun up. 

Archived