Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Really getting fed up with the clouds now....

daz

Think its been about 3 weeks solid cloud cover!! This week looks like another wash-out - except Wed, possibly - but then I'm away with work of course!!

Grrrrrr....... :(

I think the 30 Sec Exposure challenge might be just that - a challenge!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here Daz, its not been great. Though you can probably bet it will be clear once the Moon is 100% full!

I've been passing the time designing a focuser curve adaptor (converting the 200pds into a flat base) in FreeCad.

26 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Have you considered taking up meteorology - notably 'cloud-watching' - as another hobby?

I did. Now I'm getting more clear nights as a result (?).

Dave

Yeah, but hours and hours staring at dull grey nothingness is no fun!!! Now, if it was clouds like in your picture - YES PLEASE!! :D

@Demonperformer - true! We need a 'I fully understand and appreciate your frustration' button! :D:D

Blame me for last night - I spent 2 hours making a Solar filter yesterday, the moment I ran outside to hold it up momentarily just to check if it was going to work, the sun that had been out disappeared that very second behind the clouds and hasn't reappeared since.

With all the cloud I decided I just couldn't stand the hassle of waiting for a few minutes of clear sky every night and went for other projects.  After all this is supposed to be a hobby not a weight round the neck!!  Now I'm back to astro projects but not bothered about imaging until the autumn.

7 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

Agree with above... generally no such thing as interesting clouds here, just grey and dull skies...

Shhhh!! Don't tip-off the 'Cloud-Gods' - or else they might send even worse sky-conditions! Let 'em think we like the cloudy skies! :p

Get it?

Dave - who loves the cloudy skies!

I've got into a rather strange state.  I seem to feel relieved if it's cloudy as it means I don't feel the need to set up my imaging system and then get frustrated when conditions become too poor.  I wonder if this means it's time I gave up astro imaging :eek:  No, surely not!  If it does why am I building my own fork mount and mini observatory for widefield imaging??!?  Maybe it's just that I don't like my present imaging setup.  Any budding psychiatrists out there?

I sometimes feel relieved when it is cloudy Gina, probably because sometimes I have to push myself to get out there.  Last night I didn't feel inclined at around 9pm, watched a programme on the TV, and then when it had finished got the enthusiasm back to go outside by which time it had clouded over.  

I have been through patches of 2 - 3 months when I feel I can't be bothered, but the enthusiasm comes back eventually.  It probably doesn't help with my home location as I am fighting the LP all the time and therefore only certain targets will work from home. Makes me feel despondent at times.  However when I go to Astro camp (dark site) I can't get enough imaging in in the time I am there.  

Carole 

I haven't got light pollution as an excuse as there is very little here but that just means that there is more pressure to get imaging.  But I've decided I'm not going to give myself any pressure and just do it when I feel like it :D

17 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Shhhh!! Don't tip-off the 'Cloud-Gods' - or else they might send even worse sky-conditions! Let 'em think we like the cloudy skies! :p

Get it?

Dave - who loves the cloudy skies!

Mums the word.

All hail the mighty cloud Gods!!

Alan White - who loves cloudy skies even more than Dave In Vermont :wink:

I'm beginning to take it personally now.

Yesterday - clear from 07:00 - 10:30, sun comes over my tree line @ 10;30 - 10/10th cloud; sun 'sets' behind tress 15:30 and by 16:00 its clear again until, about 20;00 when it goes cloudy. Same thing so far today, but maybe there's hope for clear skies tonight

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Clouds have been parked over the SE corner of the UK for weeks, at least the rest of the country has had a bit of clear sky.

Still stuck over me

Dave

I'm under that lot too Dave - really awful isn't it?

The last two nights have been the first cloud free nights for ages but I couldn't take advantage as my wife was very poorly and didn't feel I could leave her unattended.

Feeling a bit more like her usual self and the white stuffs back, so not looking good for tonight.

Archived