SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Dark Site Image

This was my first time going to a dark site and imaging.  Because I don't have a motorized mount,  I took 500 light frames, (1.3'' exposures) 50 dark frames, and 50 bias frames.  I used DSS and then Adobe Lightroom after that. 

Not bad for first attempt? :happy8:

58c41a2e68e65_ColorNebLR.thumb.JPG.e11b99eb29075ad45881f2d42a35ec45.JPG

List of my setup:

• Orion SpaceProbe 130st Reflector Telescope
  • EQ-2 Mount 
  • Canon 450d

Well done Carter for getting out there to a dark site.

Congratulations on your first image....you would benefit if you motorised your mount tho as you can see the stars are trailing in your image.

Kenny

31 minutes ago, kenny k said:

Well done Carter for getting out there to a dark site.

Congratulations on your first image....you would benefit if you motorised your mount tho as you can see the stars are trailing in your image.

Kenny

Could something else be going on there as the stars are trailing in different directions away from the centre of the image?

John

The stars are not trailing. It looks as if you have severe coma. https://www.google.fr/search?q=coma+effects+in+optics&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicot2a987SAhVDLhoKHQsnCrYQ_AUIBigB&biw=1920&bih=990#imgrc=C5PeNlaTxcRH8M:

A coma corrector is a standard accessory for imaging with Newtonians. That apart, the image has worked well.

Olly

Yes I agree it doesn't look like star trails. Looks like coma that is being exacerbated by a spacing issue. I'm sure I've seen something like this before when people are imaging through an eyepiece projection method. 

1 hour ago, Carter Thiel said:

Not bad for first attempt? :happy8:

Indeed!

Coma aside, it's hard to tell if your focus is a little soft. Because of the coma, DSS might have struggled to properly align all the frames which could also soften the image. Did you focus using a Bahtinov mask? 

I would also recommend taking flats. They are harder to take than bias or darks but they have a much bigger effect on calibrating your image and worth doing. It does mean you either need to take them at the start or end of a session or leaving your complete image train, including focus position, unchanged until you take them. Neither is easy if you're at a new remote site!

Hi. We had something similar recently IIRC; I'd guess you have an eyepiece between the telescope and the camera. It may be better to connect the camera directly to the telescope. Nice effect though. It's a good start and well done for having a go with what you have. HTH and clear skies.

Yes, the reason for the extreme coma is because I have an eyepiece between the camera and the telescope.  I have tried putting the camera directly into the telescope but It would not focus.  I did use a Barlow after that but I did not like the images and it still had coma from the Barlow. (it could have been the really cheap Barlow)

Anyway I plan on getting a completely new setup soon that will not require any Barlow or lens.  

Here it is:

FINAL ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY SETUP

https://www.binostore.com/en/accessories/tripod/eq3-synscan-computerized-mount--power-supply-220v/

$584.00

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Telescopes/Orion-ED80-80mm-f75-Apochromatic-Refractor-Telescope/pc/-1/c/4/sc/19/p/9895.uts?sortByColumnName=SortByPriceAscending

$460.00

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-70mm-Multi-Use-Finder-Scope/p/102777.uts?keyword=finder%20scope

$110.00

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider/p/52064.uts?keyword=auto%20guider

$280.00

Total: $1,434.00

Does this setup sound good? Also thanks for all the feedback. :)

If you want to be serious about imaging, the better choice may be to use all that money to buy a suitable mount first. Think about a SkyWatcher NEQ6 Pro for example.

Your scope can be tweaked for ap by getting the mirrors about 2" closer together. cheaper then a new one and works just fine. Check out the 130pds thread. Next investment should be a coma corrector.
From there just build up piece by piece, but your mount is the no.1  important piece of your whole set-up.

First of all investment: the book  'Making every photon count' the bible for starting astrophotographers, and not only starting...

Archived