Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustrating hobby this ..innit

burnout

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I feel frustrated with our wonderful hobby I remind myself of this famous quote...

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win ."  J.F. Kennedy 1962

I have come to understand that this cannot be my ONLY hobby. It has to be the one for which I can forego the others at a moment's notice.

That I get to observe at all is as great a miracle as what I get to see. I certainly can't afford any notions of entitlement. Just because I have the gear doesn't mean I have acquired some special privilege to use it whenever it suits me, or at all.

Every session is an unexpected and amazing event. My glass is more than half full; it runneth over.

:happy11:

I used to be an astronomer- I still have telescopes, eyepieces and an EQ mount - but I now consider myself a 'guerrilla astronomer' - binoculars mounted on a lightweight tripod, ready to go at a moments notice!

Other hobbies are also essential for an astronomer:happy7:

Roy's term guerrilla astronomer speaks volumes. Impulsively, I will don my wellies, carry binoculars, monopod and small red light head torch a short walk to my allotment.  Other pursuits and interests as mentioned are necessary.

It can be very, very frustrating. i have tried to diversify as much as possible in terms of fields of interest and types of equipment.

The Solar side keeps me going in the short summer nights. A few pairs of binoculars allow some pleasant viewing at extremely short notice, when the weather can not make up its mind.  I mostly image the planets, but i do like to capture a few wide-fields and occasionally some guided images.

The worst thing at the moment is deteriorating skies locally, it feels they are getting worse every year. I have struggled to see 3 stars in the square of Pegasus this year so far!

An all sky camera can be good for studying the clouds at night :D  I find clouds quite fascinating :)  But not flat total sky cover - that's just boring, annoying and depressing!

Frustrating?  My alternate hobby for cloudy nites is Ham Radio..totally dependent on solar activity which is on the decline these days..no sunspots, no radio contacts...lol....or as we say in ham radio speak hi hi..but its a challenge to study and exploit the earth's ionosphere under varying solar conditions by seeing where your radio signals fall. Its amazing to think a one  watt radio signal generated from my desk will find its way to the other side of the world and induce a voltage in an antenna strong enough to establish a radio contact. all using electronic components that cost less than $10.

Brian K9WIS

Yes, other distractions a must to stop the mind wandering as to what might be, should be or could have been IF ...

I persuaded myself a while back (really made my mind up) that I would not be buying any more astro' gear until I'd got better use of what I had. I'm now just about to order another bit of kit  just so I can ........

Is there no cure?

It's a matter of priorities - I consistently seem to get more clear skies than others club members but they seem very busy with social engagements.  Can't have it both ways :)  I do EAA/video in brief exposures to 'see' very deep [no eyeballing for me] and next day to enjoy results.  Also plan ahead of some challenging targets like quasars/ Hicksons/ KBO etc and of course other hobbies so no weather frustration :)

Nytecam

I treat this hobby like a war of attrition with the weather Gods, they can and do win countless battles and no doubt bask in their ‘cloudy skies’ and gloat, but just now and again they get complacent and let their guard down and it is at this point we strike and achieve a victory in battle:hello2:. It maybe just an occasional victory but all the sweeter for it.:headbang:

The war goes on!!:hmh:

Tim

Is it any worse than the others? I spent 20 years trying to win a road race as a cyclist and never succeeded. I was dead good at third, fourth and fifth though... D'oh.

If your hobby is sitting in front of the telly with a stack of lager cans and crisp packets so that you can bawl abuse at the referee then success is guaranteed. The downside is that you'd be a moron. :icon_biggrin:

Olly

Ive said it before and i'll say it again.

Astronomy to me is not a hobby, its a way of life. Its been part of my life for the last 37 yrs. A hobby in my eyes is an undertaking which has a start and an end goal (building models etc).

Astronomy has no end point/goal to achieve. You start it, but never reach a final point. Its always there......something new to see/do.

Yes the weather gets in the way, but you take the bad with the good. There's no rule that says you have to go outside every clear night. Thats too much of a regime. Its about enjoyment each and every time you do go out.

The universe aint going anywhere soon, so even if its clear and you dont feel up to going out, sit back and relax.

Archived