Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory out of planning stage, now in build stage!

Neil27

On 1 August 2016 at 16:28, Adaaam75 said:

6 it is then! Cheers Dave. Always a need for an extra socket and I'm sure I'll find  a need for them too!

On reflection I thought 4 may be overkill, now I'm thinking I haven't enough ....... Neil rummages around for the mobile number of electrician ..... :icon_biggrin:

On 1 August 2016 at 05:57, Adaaam75 said:

I have already decided on black for mine but is that too obvious? I like the dark blue idea too, whatever you choose make sure you choose the right paint for the conditions as the cold and natural moisture in the air will affect certain types of paint.

I prefer very dark blue, just a matter of preference thats all Adam.

A question to anyone out there, what paint is able to cover bare wood - preferably one coat if possible, is matt and good quality?

Another quick question to my learned friends, thinking of buying rubber floor tiles.

More comfortable, saves dropped EP's from damage, and buries electric cables from becoming trip hazards.

Any ideas guys?

8 hours ago, Pan Euro said:

Halfords are selling 6 tiles 120x180cm for £10 at the moment. Maplins are £12.99 for the same thing 

Thanks already bought some off fleabay - interlocking and about 12mm thick. Will post pictures and share seller details when fitted.

• Like 2

Quite a stunning build, well done.
I have contemplated many times to convert an old 6'x4' wooden, hand built shed, into a basic permanent hide, but due to my local street lighting ( I can see 5 lamps if I stand in the right position?)  I  gave  up on the idea, simply due to the suitability of the site and the  constant in your face glare from these lights, but I can move to other places in my garden,  where its possible to avoid most  of the street lights, where a temporary and  a tall  utility tent suffices.

The wooden shed got dismantled this week and presented to my neighbour, and during the rebuild, I noted the lack of directly visible street lights from the sheds new position, and amazingly a much better view to the South, with no direct street lighting hitting the eyes at all?
An  amazing difference  just a few feet can make.

I too have just posted a mention regarding rubber matting in Halfords on  another thread, looks like your one step ahead, although if burying cables, under any mat/matting, just ensure its not under a busy passage way, if you know what I mean, cables that are constantly trodden on can and may break down under the weight of human traffic. There is also another type of cable management that I have seen in offices, which is a rubber strip, strengthened with an underside channel that holds  a cable in its place and avoids the weight of human traffic, not that 100's will be flocking through every night.........maybe they will? 

Counter intuitive I know, but I painted mine white, the idea being it would reflect the red light better, so as not to need such a bright light. I have no stray light entering from outside so not a problem there.

18 hours ago, Charic said:

Quite a stunning build, well done.
I have contemplated many times to convert an old 6'x4' wooden, hand built shed, into a basic permanent hide, but due to my local street lighting ( I can see 5 lamps if I stand in the right position?)  I  gave  up on the idea, simply due to the suitability of the site and the  constant in your face glare from these lights, but I can move to other places in my garden,  where its possible to avoid most  of the street lights, where a temporary and  a tall  utility tent suffices.

The wooden shed got dismantled this week and presented to my neighbour, and during the rebuild, I noted the lack of directly visible street lights from the sheds new position, and amazingly a much better view to the South, with no direct street lighting hitting the eyes at all?
An  amazing difference  just a few feet can make.

I too have just posted a mention regarding rubber matting in Halfords on  another thread, looks like your one step ahead, although if burying cables, under any mat/matting, just ensure its not under a busy passage way, if you know what I mean, cables that are constantly trodden on can and may break down under the weight of human traffic. There is also another type of cable management that I have seen in offices, which is a rubber strip, strengthened with an underside channel that holds  a cable in its place and avoids the weight of human traffic, not that 100's will be flocking through every night.........maybe they will? 

You never know, and yes good shout about the cable management - should help reduce the slips, trips and falls statistics!!!

Yes it is amazing how you can walk a few feet and get a different perspective and line of sight. Fortunately where I am the only street light visible from my garden is blocked by my north facing wall and is over 100 yards away on the next street, so not too bad.

4 hours ago, martin_h said:

Counter intuitive I know, but I painted mine white, the idea being it would reflect the red light better, so as not to need such a bright light. I have no stray light entering from outside so not a problem there.

Hi Martin, already purchased this > fancied something dark, but not too dark > http://www.diy.com/departments/dulux-weathershield-exterior-oxford-blue-satin-paint-750ml/127643_BQ.prd?icamp=recs

Then I hope to spray gold and silver stars on the surface - I know very childish but it will amuse me and make me smile each time I step into the observatory :icon_biggrin: 

Just found a simple security issue that I overlooked ..... the bolt at the top of the picture is the only thing securing the roll off, and also there are no internal hooks or security mechanisms inside.

The hasp and staple below now attaches to the main body of the observatory and also the roll off section, now securing both parts.

I may also fit a(several) securing bolts inside to add extra security just to be safe.

IMG_3227.JPG

Can you not put your bolts and hasp/padlocks on the inside of the building?  Once the door is locked behind you no one can see your "security" and have no idea how good/bad it is.

This looks like a very good build and I've been following closely -well done, it will be well worth the work and expense.

15 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

Can you not put your bolts and hasp/padlocks on the inside of the building?  Once the door is locked behind you no one can see your "security" and have no idea how good/bad it is.

This looks like a very good build and I've been following closely -well done, it will be well worth the work and expense.

Unfortunately not Roger, surprisingly there are few flat surfaces on the inside that will allow attachment of a hasp and staple. Also for me it can work the other way and 'displaying' security devices can also act as a deterrent ...... hopefully!

And thanks for the comments Roger, the Observatory is one of Home Observatories from Norwich, highly recommend these guys. It isn't cheap but as they say you only live once, so make it count!

Cheers,

Just seen your post for the first time. Congratulations on a superb job. Hope you have some clear skies to get some observing done.

I am in the process of building my own observatory at Bassingham not far from you. https://1drv.ms/f/s!At85D9aim9G0gQpsL4wanDU-WPXW

I am at the Lincoln AS observatory most Tuesday evenings and would be pleased to meet if you would like to come along. The society's website is www.lincolnastronomy.org and my number is on there.

Regards, Graham

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red meteor said:

Just seen your post for the first time. Congratulations on a superb job. Hope you have some clear skies to get some observing done.

I am in the process of building my own observatory at Bassingham not far from you. https://1drv.ms/f/s!At85D9aim9G0gQpsL4wanDU-WPXW

I am at the Lincoln AS observatory most Tuesday evenings and would be pleased to meet if you would like to come along. The society's website is www.lincolnastronomy.org and my number is on there.

Regards, Graham

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the kind words, and yes it would be great to have some clear skies, alas i'm in 'sunny' Scotland this week with work so hopefully the weekend will be fine!

Hope your build goes well, sorry the link didn't work for me, it just 'hung' and didn't go anywhere, sorry.

Yes i've seen the LAS site and would welcome a visit sometime in the future, maybe when the nights draw in and take advantage of some good seeing.

If you want to contact me for a chat or advice (if I can provide any) feel free to contact me through the pm system and we can meet up.

looking at Bassingham, i would expect some lovely dark skies where you are. My village is good, but still plagued by the odd street light, but not too bad.

Thanks for reading and speak soon,

Great colour Neil, and i love the floor tiles too. Light in colour so dropped EP's and equipment are easy to find! Your build has helped me develop my plans so much already I'm very grateful. I do have another question for you guys, the inside of my shed that I will be converting is the standard shed walls, see pic. I was intending to line with plywood for a smooth finish and to eliminate any unwanted breeze etc. Good idea or is that overkill?

20160809_160034.jpg

Edited by Adaaam75
Grammar!
  • Like 1

Hi adam,

Not overkill at all, these sheds are all unique and what may work or not work for you depends on you!

some good advice here, gives advice on shed membrane and ply wooding the interior of the shed > http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/blog/how-to-insulate-a-shed/

If it was my shed i would at least clad the inside of the shed, to make it look less like a ...... well shed!

it also makes painting the interior hassle free and for pure looks alone is a winner.

Hope that helps and good luck with the build, keep us updated and remember, plenty of pictures ... :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Agreed, not sure I'll insulate but definitely lining it now for finish and easiness to paint. Also as my wife pointed out, it will be easier to put up my "geeky space pictures" - Messier Catalogue poster, moon map etc! Bless her.

So obviously from one question another is born, I have had a sheet of plasterboard with 3 exposed edges in my shed for over a year now and apart from a subtle curve where it has been laying, it is unaffected by the elements. It's not the aqua board  (green) just standard plaster board. Is there any reason I couldn't line the observatory with this instead of ply? At half the cost it's compelling...

Put up Sterling Board its no expensive, has 1 side varnished and if you want it removable hold it in place with 42 x 1" timber with a rebate so it sits in the rebate piece at the bottom and top ,,,some thing like this...

DSC_9867.jpg

• Like 1