Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory out of planning stage, now in build stage!

Neil27

50 minutes ago, jnb said:

How deep are you going for the pier?

About 3 feet, it's roughly a 3 foot cube ...... Are we the only species that would remove earth from one point to replace it exactly in the same place!

And finally tah dah ...... too tired to post any more ....... interior pictures to follow tomorrow ......

IMG_3179.JPG

Edited by Neil27
Forgot to attach picture ... too tired!
  • Like 1

A few more jobs to sort out:

1. Finish off the electrics / ethernet cable runs
  2. Bolt pier down and fit in place
  3. Paint interior a colour not yet decided, dark blue or black
  4. Fit interior floor tiles .... once the floor has dried out a bit ........ :help:
  5. Fit security measures, cctv or dummy cameras, decent lock
  6. Finish the front with slabs and remove the large pile of earth .... promise my dear!

And then enjoy ........

• Like 1

A big thank you to Gareth, Nathan and Ray of Home Observatory UK, true gentlemen and they worked tirelessly.

After helping to lay 2.5 tonnes of concrete and assemble 1.5 tonnes of timber you have certainly earnt a few jars tonight gents.

If anyone is thinking of a roll off, I can heartily recommend these lads.

My hat has been well and truly tipped to you all for your efforts today, particularly in the wet sunshine here in Lincoln.

http://www.homeobservatoryuk.com

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Wow that looks pretty substantial Neil, a few firing slots in the side and you could hold of a red indian attack :grin:

Dave

Your not kidding Dave, I'd say a tad 'over engineered' but in a good way.

Gareth from HOUK, went through a few numbers with me, 1.5 tonnes of timber, the actual cost of the materials in excess of £1500, 100's of 4 inch wood screws and bolts.

Believe me when I say this isn't going anyway ..... looks like I'm stuck here .......!

And yes it should keep the rowdy neighbours at bay :icon_biggrin:

Wow that is one fine effort. I do wonder what perfect observatory I could come up with if I had the finances, alas my better half will always have something more important for "us" to spend money on! Oh lottery win please come my way.

One thing I hadn't considered in my planning, is access to the Internet essential or just a luxury for the laptop/mount?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adaaam75 said:

Wow that is one fine effort. I do wonder what perfect observatory I could come up with if I had the finances, alas my better half will always have something more important for "us" to spend money on! Oh lottery win please come my way.

One thing I hadn't considered in my planning, is access to the Internet essential or just a luxury for the laptop/mount?

I know what you mean about finances Adam, I had to sell a motorbike to finance this bad boy!

Regarding ethernet cable, yes its nice to have for internet, but also a great way of communicating to any other computer or local hub, and it future proofs it as well.

For £25 for 50 metres of ethernet cable seemed a simple solution to me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neil27 said:

I know what you mean about finances Adam, I had to sell a motorbike to finance this bad boy!

Regarding ethernet cable, yes its nice to have for internet, but also a great way of communicating to any other computer or local hub, and it future proofs it as well.

For £25 for 50 metres of ethernet cable seemed a simple solution to me. 

Ah! Finally something relatively cheap to be included. I agree with future proofing and 50 meters should just about get to my observatory! ;) Great tip thanks!

Electrics ready for the electrician to connect - light switch and bulk head light / consumer unit / x2 double IP rated sockets ....... Electrician will hopefully provide power Monday ......

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

On 07/30/2016 at 21:46, Neil27 said:

Just deciding what colour to paint the interior walls, any ideas guys? ....... dark blue, matt? ......

IMG_3191.JPG

I have already decided on black for mine but is that too obvious? I like the dark blue idea too, whatever you choose make sure you choose the right paint for the conditions as the cold and natural moisture in the air will affect certain types of paint.

On 07/30/2016 at 21:44, Neil27 said:

Electrics ready for the electrician to connect - light switch and bulk head light / consumer unit / x2 double IP rated sockets ....... Electrician will hopefully provide power Monday ......

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

Neil what equipment will require an actual socket in the observatory? Obviously mount and computer, i was considering 6 sockets with the rationale that i may have forgottwn or not considered something, but i think that may be overkill and perhaps 4 will be plenty.

Edited by Adaaam75
Grammar!

I have 6 and they're all used, bar heater, bench power supply, laptop, clock, powered back up drive, USB fan, dehumidifier, that's 7, surprising how they get used up :)

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I have 6 and they're all used, bar heater, bench power supply, laptop, clock, powered back up drive, USB fan, dehumidifier, that's 7, surprising how they get used up :)

Dave

6 it is then! Cheers Dave. Always a need for an extra socket and I'm sure I'll find  a need for them too!