NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

The scope looks awesome Mike, really cracking stuff.

If it were me I would just let them get it right, the scope will be around for a long time, best have the best mirror possible!

yes your right stu,  still have things to do :headbang:

12 minutes ago, mert said:

Is it on castors yet? Or are you making wheelbarrow handles perhaps? I stuck my scope on lockable castors, can push with it one hand on plywood boards. 

its going to have wheelbarrow handles, ready for dark skies

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, faulksy said:

its going to have wheelbarrow handles, ready for dark skies

Cool, I have some that came with Big Blue. Great over rough ground, luckily I now only have to move the scope 15 feet or so.

• Like 1

So what's you first target with the big scope? Something hard? For me it was the HH nebula in Orion, I have always been fascinated with it. A bit weird according to my girlfriend lol 

Now that is fine craftmanship! Excellent job :thumbsup:

I love the color and finish of the wood and those proper big bearings are going to allow you great flexibility in the balance of the scope.And yes, patience is a virtue with the optician, these fast mirrors are not easy to make espc at your high spec!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mert said:

So what's you first target with the big scope? Something hard? For me it was the HH nebula in Orion, I have always been fascinated with it. A bit weird according to my girlfriend lol 

i have seen the hh with my 14 which had 1/10 mirrors so that would be a great target, mirror should be here by then :icon_biggrin:

m27 should be ace as well and of course m57 :headbang:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Now that is fine craftmanship! Excellent job :thumbsup:

I love the color and finish of the wood and those proper big bearings are going to allow you great flexibility in the balance of the scope.And yes, patience is a virtue with the optician, these fast mirrors are not easy to make espc at your high spec!

thank you gerry, your a star, cant wait untill the dob mob comes to your house :happy11:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mert said:

Good targets, love the Eagle Nebula also. 

and the cresent, never seen the eagle neb, should with this though. the list goes on. god i cant wait it will be like starting over again

• Like 2

It looks really amazing - beautifully executed ... everywhere :)

Congrats - bet you just can't wait to get the optics installed and get it out under the stars!!

Enjoy & keep posting those pics ;)

-Niall 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, niallk said:

It looks really amazing - beautifully executed ... everywhere :)

Congrats - bet you just can't wait to get the optics installed and get it out under the stars!!

Enjoy & keep posting those pics ;)

-Niall 

i will niall i will.:icon_biggrin:

With having been on holiday i have lost track of this thread, what an absolutely lovely scope, I have to say it makes mine look a bit cheap. I love the finish and everything looks so well done, I really hope it is everything that you wished for, it looks as if it will be. Very well done. Just remains for me to wish for good weather for the first trip out with the Mob and look forward to the reports:icon_biggrin:.

Alan 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mapstar said:

It's testament to the amount of hours Mike has put into it Alan. 

Wonder if the mirror has arrived? Come on Mike give us a good update fella we're all waiting :icon_bounce:

No mirror yet. Spoke to mike yesterday he's waiting on an update from OO

Hello Mike , and I have just starting reading this post . But my first impressions are I am really impressed. I hope you don't mind me saying and please don't take offence but when I think of a DIY build, i was thinking of "hammer and nails , bolts and washers"  sort of approach. But how wrong was I . This is really impressive Mike its a technical work of art. And just beautiful craftsmaship has gone into the making of this scope.  Many hours of your skill has gone into this project and I hope you reap the benefits. Thanks for putting this post up as it's nice to show what skill members really do have out there. Work of art mate ☺   

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Hello Mike , and I have just starting reading this post . But my first impressions are I am really impressed. I hope you don't mind me saying and please don't take offence but when I think of a DIY build, i was thinking of "hammer and nails , bolts and washers"  sort of approach. But how wrong was I . This is really impressive Mike its a technical work of art. And just beautiful craftsmaship has gone into the making of this scope.  Many hours of your skill has gone into this project and I hope you reap the benefits. Thanks for putting this post up as it's nice to show what skill members really do have out there. Work of art mate ☺   

Well said. For somebody like me who can  barely saw a piece of wood straight it's incredible to see what some people can achieve.

• Like 3