NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS and Europa shadow transit tonight - 3rd May

Stu

Clear skies forecast tonight, and both a GRS and Europa moon and shadow transit to have a look at. Looks best around 9.20pm or so with GRS nicely placed, the shadow one side and the moon the other, approaching the limb so hopefully visible. Will give it a go anyway.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice heads up Stu.. If this wind gives up I might just be tempted out.. been off for 5 days and not had a chance, average wind speed over 15 here, suppose the 72mm ed and sky tea would have been stable.. might try that combo tonight either way!

Ta

Fozzie 

Thanks Stu. The forcast when I looked yesterday wasn't good for tonight, but both FLO and my weather app are saying it is clear till around midnight when partial cloud may roll in, so I'll get the scope out to check it out. Hoping the seeing will be steady. :) 

Cheers Stu. Going to give this a go tonite with my 127.  Last nite was excellent. Close on the best detail I've seen during a Jupiter watch. 

Shane. Should be dry by now my good man. Brownie points off the better half going begging ? LOL 

JOHN 

11 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Might need to bring the washing in before dusk.

20160503_193232.jpg

Those are mighty big boxers Shane!

Great looking setup, wish I could try mine tonight, actually I might be able to, need to have a think!!

I am reading this thread on a train on my way to Victoria in London. Will have a gaze up and the bright orange glow this evening to see if Jupiter is even visible :bino2:

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Those are mighty big boxers Shane!

Great looking setup, wish I could try mine tonight, actually I might be able to, need to have a think!!

Boxers indeed. It is clearly our his and hers togas

I may even have ago with the 127mak and 700d screwed to the back.

Never done video with a dslr before, just sat here reading the manual. Should be interesting. 

Edit* sorry, just seen this is in observation. My bad.

Thanks for that.

Was setting up and wondering what to start with tonight so that makes it an easy choice. Just need a little high level cloud to clear, which it looks like its doing and I'm good to go.

It's looking very good from here - GRS on the way across and very clear. Loads of belt details too. I opted for the ED120 refractor over the dob because there is quite a bit of thin high cloud here which is probably going to hamper DSO viewing later, but it's close to ideal for Jupiter :icon_biggrin:

I was quite optimistic about the prospects for this evening, but it's looking bleak here in North Wales....... The atmosphere must be pretty still -there's a bit of thin cloud hanging around, looking like it's going nowhere. At least if it does clear the seeing should be marvellous?

Just set up the Technosky 152mm for first night light, sky is a bit murky but Jupiter and three moons fitting nicely in the Ethos 6mm FOV, looking quite bright already, shows up the floaters in my eyes, think I've got some filters somewhere :)

Dave 

Should have read up on the Sky Safari instructions 

It's looking real pretty right now :icon_biggrin:

GRS nearing the central meridian, Europa's pale disk showing close to one limb and it's shadow now well on the disk on the other side.

Archived